Queen City Automotive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New to the boards and also getting a new car...opinions!!

Go down 
+20
subbie
1eightySX
its.eric
JSharp
Jhall
dev
SteveK
canadian_ef
d3v
240sxy
Thai-kun
Marshal
JYB116
lu!$
RyanR
Black
Moneypits
laynehip
Soup
duggyb
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
duggyb
Rank 5
Rank 5
duggyb

Number of posts : 680
Vehicle : 09' Mustang GT & 94' Nissan Silvia
Registration date : 2009-04-07

New to the boards and also getting a new car...opinions!! - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to the boards and also getting a new car...opinions!!   New to the boards and also getting a new car...opinions!! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2009, 3:48 pm

i definatley want to try that out if i get a TT i think it would perform well? also how does everyone this the RX8 would do at autocross?
Back to top Go down
1eightySX
Rank 9
Rank 9
1eightySX

Number of posts : 3807
Registration date : 2008-03-02

PostSubject: Re: New to the boards and also getting a new car...opinions!!   New to the boards and also getting a new car...opinions!! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2009, 3:53 pm

duggyb wrote:
i definatley want to try that out if i get a TT i think it would perform well? also how does everyone this the RX8 would do at autocross?

As lame as this sounds watch some of the Top Gears where they test out the TT. Audi makes some realy well received cars, however, the TT is hit or miss. I am a big fan of the A3. Also the S4, I( would say the A4 as well but I can't let Layne know that).
Back to top Go down
http://www.dodo-logic.ca
DOOLHA
Rank 7
Rank 7
DOOLHA

Number of posts : 1053
Vehicle : schirting
Registration date : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: New to the boards and also getting a new car...opinions!!   New to the boards and also getting a new car...opinions!! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2009, 3:59 pm

damn gone for a couple days an now i missed all the fighting Mad
Back to top Go down
Marshal
Rank 9
Rank 9
Marshal

Number of posts : 2780
Vehicle : Nothing nice
Registration date : 2008-02-29

PostSubject: Re: New to the boards and also getting a new car...opinions!!   New to the boards and also getting a new car...opinions!! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2009, 4:02 pm

duggyb wrote:
marshal wrote:
WReX wrote:
NO QUESTION ON WHAT YOU SHOULD GET, hahahaha

2009 Subaru WRX 265 hatch with THE perfect mod, of course!!

I hope "The perfect mod" is an AWD delete kit, because lets face it, its not helping anything

Are you serious?

So AWD isnt good for launches, hmm an interesting theory, maybe switching to FWD will help? Il let him know

How many full throttle.full bore launches can you do in an AWD car before you either:
a)destroy the clutch
b)mutilate a half-shaft
c)break something else that puts the power to the ground.

don't even get me started why the fundamentals of AWD are terrible for road racing.
Now, yes, I realize that fancy computers have taken control of YAW control and other features that allow you to plant the go peddle through any corner and look liek a star.
Back to top Go down
Soup
Rank 7
Rank 7
Soup

Number of posts : 1037
Vehicle : 1990 Skyline GTS4
Registration date : 2008-08-05

PostSubject: Re: New to the boards and also getting a new car...opinions!!   New to the boards and also getting a new car...opinions!! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2009, 4:09 pm

Hey now don't beak AWD too much. I have AWD, I love it. The R32 GTR Dominated the Group A and Group N racing while still using its AWD. Not all AWD is bad.

Besides you don't drop the clutch in an AWD, you ease into a rolling state and then mash the peddle
Back to top Go down
Marshal
Rank 9
Rank 9
Marshal

PostSubject: Re: New to the boards and also getting a new car...opinions!!   New to the boards and also getting a new car...opinions!! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2009, 4:13 pm

thats why I said fundementals.

the computers, especially the ones controlling the YAW, allow them to do amazing things.
I guess I am one of those bare-bones, back to the basics people.
Back to top Go down
greddy_1700
Rank 5
Rank 5
greddy_1700

Number of posts : 654
Vehicle : 1991 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD
Registration date : 2008-05-14

PostSubject: Re: New to the boards and also getting a new car...opinions!!   New to the boards and also getting a new car...opinions!! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2009, 4:24 pm

Marshal wrote:
How many full throttle.full bore launches can you do in an AWD car before you either:
a)destroy the clutch
b)mutilate a half-shaft
c)break something else that puts the power to the ground.

On a stock DSM, hundreds. And I am not even kidding. My talon had been through probably 100 launches prior to my rebuild and I had replaced the clutch prior, never broke a shaft or any other part.

Its a matter of power, not AWD. it works like that for any car. How many launches can a RWD car do when its pushing 1000hp without snapping something? Its all relative.
Back to top Go down
lu!$
Rank 9
Rank 9
lu!$

Number of posts : 2118
Vehicle : EJ1
Registration date : 2008-08-08

PostSubject: Re: New to the boards and also getting a new car...opinions!!   New to the boards and also getting a new car...opinions!! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2009, 4:27 pm

SoupGTR wrote:
I think you should come autocrossing. It will be fun......
X2...
We should really plan a meet soon where we can gather lots of sweet cars and get to know each other. i been here for over a year if so. and i know one face... pretty sad... im antisocial...LOL.. not really but i just dont know many faces here...

Last edited by luispizarro25 on April 23rd 2009, 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.justanotherwesite.ca
Marshal
Rank 9
Rank 9
Marshal

PostSubject: Re: New to the boards and also getting a new car...opinions!!   New to the boards and also getting a new car...opinions!! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2009, 4:29 pm

full bore launches?
I am quite impressed.

My friend with an audi a4 burnt through his first clutch after 2 launches. and he wasn't riding the clutch. Rev, release clutch, and go. well, except there was no go, just smoke.

I've read, but never experienced the same thing when it came to subarus and other audis.

and the way I see it, a RWD car could theoretically last alot more launches, due to the fact that the tires are the limiting factor. i.e. the tires will break traction before a half-shaft has the oppertunity to twist/break. On an AWD car, there are 4 tires trying to move the car forward, and its alot harder to break all 4 loose.

Excuse my ignorance.
Back to top Go down
laynehip
Rank 9
Rank 9
laynehip

Number of posts : 2520
Vehicle : an ibm
Registration date : 2008-02-13

PostSubject: Re: New to the boards and also getting a new car...opinions!!   New to the boards and also getting a new car...opinions!! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2009, 4:44 pm

duggyb wrote:
the tt's and the A3's dont have the same awd as the a8 6 4 etc
its a highly inferior fwd biased haldex
but you probably dont care about that
Back to top Go down
Soup
Rank 7
Rank 7
Soup

PostSubject: Re: New to the boards and also getting a new car...opinions!!   New to the boards and also getting a new car...opinions!! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2009, 4:45 pm

Its okay marshal. We still like you.
Back to top Go down
Marshal
Rank 9
Rank 9
Marshal

PostSubject: Re: New to the boards and also getting a new car...opinions!!   New to the boards and also getting a new car...opinions!! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2009, 4:49 pm

SoupGTR wrote:

I am glad. and i did not know your car was AWD.
Back to top Go down
1eightySX
Rank 9
Rank 9
1eightySX

Number of posts : 3807
Registration date : 2008-03-02

PostSubject: Re: New to the boards and also getting a new car...opinions!!   New to the boards and also getting a new car...opinions!! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2009, 4:57 pm

only half the time his car belong in the 80's hit cartoon "Mask".

wikipedia it it will make sense.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dodo-logic.ca
duggyb
Rank 5
Rank 5
duggyb

Number of posts : 680
Vehicle : 09' Mustang GT & 94' Nissan Silvia
Registration date : 2009-04-07

PostSubject: Re: New to the boards and also getting a new car...opinions!!   New to the boards and also getting a new car...opinions!! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2009, 5:17 pm

laynehip wrote:
duggyb wrote:
the tt's and the A3's dont have the same awd as the a8 6 4 etc
its a highly inferior fwd biased haldex
but you probably dont care about that

i do remember reading something about a haldex system on wikipedia...but i did not know that it was inferior to the other audi AWD systems maybe RWD is better...especially if i am going to be buying something with higher mileage i do not want to have to be fixing transfercases and CV joints...Sad
Back to top Go down
greddy_1700
Rank 5
Rank 5
greddy_1700

Number of posts : 654
Vehicle : 1991 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD
Registration date : 2008-05-14

PostSubject: Re: New to the boards and also getting a new car...opinions!!   New to the boards and also getting a new car...opinions!! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2009, 5:19 pm

I do agree Marshal, a RWD car will last longer and has less parts to snap so you are correct. I was just mainly raising the fact that some AWD cars can handle the launches, but power makes a huge impact on the vehicle.

My stock DSM could take the launches, but I doubt that with the new setup I will be able to keep doing that. But then again who knows, a friend with a better setup than me has ran 1 full drag race season on his DSM without snapping or breaking a single part.
Back to top Go down
Marshal
Rank 9
Rank 9
Marshal

PostSubject: Re: New to the boards and also getting a new car...opinions!!   New to the boards and also getting a new car...opinions!! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2009, 5:21 pm

greddy_1700 wrote:
I do agree Marshal, a RWD car will last longer and has less parts to snap so you are correct. I was just mainly raising the fact that some AWD cars can handle the launches, but power makes a huge impact on the vehicle.

My stock DSM could take the launches, but I doubt that with the new setup I will be able to keep doing that. But then again who knows, a friend with a better setup than me has ran 1 full drag race season on his DSM without snapping or breaking a single part.

on a DSM?
I call BS.

I am just kidding. And really, get on that car, do some work. That build thread was the only reason i got up in thr morning
Back to top Go down
Soup
Rank 7
Rank 7
Soup

PostSubject: Re: New to the boards and also getting a new car...opinions!!   New to the boards and also getting a new car...opinions!! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2009, 5:36 pm

Marshal wrote:
SoupGTR wrote:

I am glad. and i did not know your car was AWD.

It's kool dude. I do a good job of hiding it with my AWD/RWD kill switch.

On another note, I will agree that fixing anything to do with awd is gay balls. I have a stripped wheel stud and like hell am i going to pull my awd crap off the wheel just to change one stud. I wouldn't even know what to do after I got the wheel off. lol
Back to top Go down
binjoau
Rank 3
Rank 3
binjoau

Number of posts : 201
Vehicle : 09WRX
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: New to the boards and also getting a new car...opinions!!   New to the boards and also getting a new car...opinions!! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2009, 6:01 pm

I think for the power im running AWD is great but obviously i could see something failing with 500hp plus! Ive never really launched a RWD car before so i guess im biased with all 4 wheels churping! lol
Back to top Go down
Marshal
Rank 9
Rank 9
Marshal

PostSubject: Re: New to the boards and also getting a new car...opinions!!   New to the boards and also getting a new car...opinions!! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2009, 6:12 pm

try takign a corner with awd though.
if a tire can only deliver a theoretical 10/10th traction, and you have a 60/40 torque split, and you are applying throttle mid-corner, that means:
your front tires car only deliever a maximum 6/10ths of their available traction to actually turn the car.
This is also why you are not supposed to brake during a curner, or down/upshift.

while a rwd car can apply 10/10ths of the front tire's available traction to corner, granted they are not asked to brake as well.

unfortunately, you have all those fancy computers to sort all that out for you Smile
Back to top Go down
binjoau
Rank 3
Rank 3
binjoau

Number of posts : 201
Vehicle : 09WRX
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: New to the boards and also getting a new car...opinions!!   New to the boards and also getting a new car...opinions!! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2009, 6:44 pm

Only the STi has the computer controlled AWD system, the WRX is just Symetrical AWD. I actually find that my rex is amazing in the corners, i mean its not going to be as good as a Ferrari but considering the crappy road conditions in regina, gravel and dust etc im glad all of my wheels are working for me in the corners.
Back to top Go down
JSharp
Rank 8
Rank 8
JSharp

Number of posts : 1577
Vehicle : 2002 Yamaha R1, 2003 Nissan 350z, 2005 Yamaha R6
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: New to the boards and also getting a new car...opinions!!   New to the boards and also getting a new car...opinions!! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2009, 6:54 pm

THINK of the GTR Marshal the FUCKING GTR *my eclipse gsx was very good in the corners and that had no fancy computers**** Just remember not to split your friction with braking or up/down shifting like you said
Back to top Go down
Marshal
Rank 9
Rank 9
Marshal

PostSubject: Re: New to the boards and also getting a new car...opinions!!   New to the boards and also getting a new car...opinions!! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2009, 7:04 pm

JSharp wrote:
THINK of the GTR Marshal the FUCKING GTR *my eclipse gsx was very good in the corners and that had no fancy computers**** Just remember not to split your friction with braking or up/down shifting like you said

Jared, you neveer had your car long enough to make a decision, you never pushed it hard enough to know. Lets not kid ourselves. But I'm not arguing with you, I am just stating a fact, I realize that there are other factors, and truth be told, I do not care if you listen to them.
And I realize the GTR was amazing, i also made reference to that a few posts earlier due to the computers controllign the AWD system Jared.
I understand that on the street, and if you are trying to go fast, AWD is good, becasue like you said, road conditions.

read, then post.
Not post then read.

The last part was only directed at Jared, not anyone else.
Back to top Go down
JSharp
Rank 8
Rank 8
JSharp

Number of posts : 1577
Vehicle : 2002 Yamaha R1, 2003 Nissan 350z, 2005 Yamaha R6
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: New to the boards and also getting a new car...opinions!!   New to the boards and also getting a new car...opinions!! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2009, 7:09 pm

Marshal wrote:
JSharp wrote:

Jared, you neveer had your car long enough to make a decision, you never pushed it hard enough to know. Lets not kid ourselves. But I'm not arguing with you, I am just stating a fact, I realize that there are other factors, and truth be told, I do not care if you listen to them.
And I realize the GTR was amazing, i also made reference to that a few posts earlier due to the computers controllign the AWD system Jared.
I understand that on the street, and if you are trying to go fast, AWD is good, becasue like you said, road conditions.

read, then post.
Not post then read.

The last part was only directed at Jared, not anyone else.

I did read everything you grump ( i wasn't arguing but just saying that the GTR is amazing just like you said so don't assume things you wise old man you......... What are you talking about i didn't push that GSX (ask jason or eric for a story and im sure they will tell there experences) about awd drifting and whatnot I think we are both agreeing on the same things so yeah
Back to top Go down
Marshal
Rank 9
Rank 9
Marshal

PostSubject: Re: New to the boards and also getting a new car...opinions!!   New to the boards and also getting a new car...opinions!! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2009, 7:19 pm

i was there. That was oversteer, becasue you took a corner far to fast, then jerked the wheel the other way, ccausing the back end to slide out.
I realize drifting is cool, but havign a car oversteer once, i might add, does not make it a great handeling car.

Now, back on topic.
Duggy, but something older, with a turbo. Bolt-ons are easy to to, and net big gains on turbo cars. plus you get to do neat things like water/methanol injection, intercooler sprayers, ect ect
Back to top Go down
subbie
Rank 9
Rank 9

Number of posts : 4383
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: New to the boards and also getting a new car...opinions!!   New to the boards and also getting a new car...opinions!! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2009, 7:20 pm

binjoau wrote:
Only the STi has the computer controlled AWD system, the WRX is just Symetrical AWD. I actually find that my rex is amazing in the corners, i mean its not going to be as good as a Ferrari but considering the crappy road conditions in regina, gravel and dust etc im glad all of my wheels are working for me in the corners.

haha wow another fellow WRX owner, HELLO!! lol jkjk, I've met you before in visions, i got the black hatch back WRX.

What have you done to your wrx to give it 300+hp??
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New to the boards and also getting a new car...opinions!!   New to the boards and also getting a new car...opinions!! - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New to the boards and also getting a new car...opinions!!
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next