Queen City Automotive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Exhaust dilemna - help me out

Go down 
+3
Clint Eastwood
CamJohns122
Black
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Black
Rank 8
Rank 8
Black

Number of posts : 1526
Registration date : 2008-02-22

Exhaust dilemna - help me out Empty
PostSubject: Exhaust dilemna - help me out   Exhaust dilemna - help me out Icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2008, 12:26 am

I'm buying a catback for my GTI. Don't know which to get. Originally had researched the autotech one and was happy with it as it came with the magnaflow exhaust recomended by corey. Plus i've heard that magnaflow sounds wicked on my car. It was 400 plus shipping which was about 50 bucks. Would there be tax on top of that? (From the states)

here is the link > http://www.autotech.com/prod_engine_exhsys.htm#Mk4

Golks is selling megan performance stuff as you guys know and i have heard lots of good stuff about their products too. He has a 2.5 inch catback and it appears to be the same thing but with a different muffler. He quoted me at 385 ish.

here is the megan link > http://www.meganracing.com/products/product_detail.asp?prodid=162&catid=91

I don't want my car to be ridiculously loud, (which i doubt it will be) but i want it to have a nice exhaust note that can be easily heard all the time. Right now i don't even know if my car is on if it's idling. So whatshould it be Autotech with Magnaflow exhaust? Or Megan Racing?
Back to top Go down
CamJohns122
Rank 7
Rank 7
CamJohns122

Number of posts : 1380
Vehicle : '93 Civic Si Hatch, 91 Chevy Sprint Turbo, 85 RX7 GSL
Registration date : 2008-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust dilemna - help me out   Exhaust dilemna - help me out Icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2008, 12:28 am

youd have to pay a brokerage fee and duty for sure dono bout tax
Back to top Go down
Clint Eastwood
Rank 7
Rank 7

Number of posts : 1284
Registration date : 2008-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust dilemna - help me out   Exhaust dilemna - help me out Icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2008, 12:28 am

CamJohns122 wrote:

Duties are essentially tax's.
Back to top Go down
Black
Rank 8
Rank 8
Black

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust dilemna - help me out   Exhaust dilemna - help me out Icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2008, 12:29 am

How much $$ approx.? Do you know?
Back to top Go down
CamJohns122
Rank 7
Rank 7
CamJohns122

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust dilemna - help me out   Exhaust dilemna - help me out Icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2008, 12:29 am

brokerage fee for my parts was 46 bucks dono if it depends on how much your shipment costs or if its a flat rate

Golks should know he does brokerage work
Back to top Go down
Black
Rank 8
Rank 8
Black

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust dilemna - help me out   Exhaust dilemna - help me out Icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2008, 12:31 am

lol k whatever BUT which one is better do you guys think??
Back to top Go down
Golks
Rank 5
Rank 5
Golks

Number of posts : 582
Vehicle : '98 Honda
Registration date : 2008-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust dilemna - help me out   Exhaust dilemna - help me out Icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2008, 12:38 am

CamJohns122 wrote:

if the exhaust was manufactured in the States it is Duty-Free. I am not sure where Magnaflow gets their units manufactured, but if it is over seas then it would be subject to 6% duty.

Everything comming over the border is also subject to 5% GST.

As for brokerage, as an example UPS would charge you in the neighbourhood of 10% of the value.

**EDIT** Going by the $50 charge for shipping it would apear they are using a basic ground service. If it was UPS you would be charged $45.25 for brokerage and then GST for sure and possibly 6% duty.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dodo-logic.ca
Black
Rank 8
Rank 8
Black

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust dilemna - help me out   Exhaust dilemna - help me out Icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2008, 4:46 pm

Golks wrote:
CamJohns122 wrote:

if the exhaust was manufactured in the States it is Duty-Free. I am not sure where Magnaflow gets their units manufactured, but if it is over seas then it would be subject to 6% duty.

Everything comming over the border is also subject to 5% GST.

As for brokerage, as an example UPS would charge you in the neighbourhood of 10% of the value.

**EDIT** Going by the $50 charge for shipping it would apear they are using a basic ground service. If it was UPS you would be charged $45.25 for brokerage and then GST for sure and possibly 6% duty.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Jason-
Rank 3
Rank 3
Jason-

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-02-20

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust dilemna - help me out   Exhaust dilemna - help me out Icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2008, 6:40 pm

Try and ship it USPS, They don't charge as much for brokerage.
Back to top Go down
CamJohns122
Rank 7
Rank 7
CamJohns122

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust dilemna - help me out   Exhaust dilemna - help me out Icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2008, 10:54 pm

UPS will rape your ass on brokerage
Back to top Go down
Black
Rank 8
Rank 8
Black

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust dilemna - help me out   Exhaust dilemna - help me out Icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2008, 10:56 pm

CamJohns122 wrote:
UPS will rape your ass on brokerage
How much were you charged when you got all your blox stuff??
Back to top Go down
CamJohns122
Rank 7
Rank 7
CamJohns122

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust dilemna - help me out   Exhaust dilemna - help me out Icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2008, 11:05 pm

Ok each shipment was an extra 50 bucks so id say if your ordering say a Megan get some other parts at the same time if you can if your looking for any that way you can save yourself charges
Back to top Go down
Black
Rank 8
Rank 8
Black

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust dilemna - help me out   Exhaust dilemna - help me out Icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2008, 11:07 pm

Hmm so if my exhaust is 400 and shipping (they claim) is 50$ i should plan for 500??
Back to top Go down
Golks
Rank 5
Rank 5
Golks

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust dilemna - help me out   Exhaust dilemna - help me out Icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2008, 11:40 pm

JBlack09 wrote:
Hmm so if my exhaust is 400 and shipping (they claim) is 50$ i should plan for 500??

this is what I would plan for:

$400USD + 50USD for shipping converted to CAD is $460CAD
Add the Possibility of UPS's Brokerage of $45.25 and you are at 505.25CAD.

Then add possible 6% duty to the order valued at $406CAD = $24.36
Then add GST to the Item, the brokerage and the duty= $23.78

So you are looking at a possible grand total of $553.29

And actually just thinking about it, shipping companies also charge a bond fee of about 3%. So that is another possible $12 or so.

**EDIT** Oh yeah. They may charge you about $5 on top of everything for a COD charge for allowing you to pay the duty and taxes on delivery.
Back to top Go down
Jason-
Rank 3
Rank 3
Jason-

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust dilemna - help me out   Exhaust dilemna - help me out Icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2008, 11:43 pm

JBlack09 wrote:

Ask if you can have it shipped via USPS, it will save you a considerable amount of money. If your only choice is with UPS have it shipped by air.

http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs_clearance.html
Back to top Go down
Black
Rank 8
Rank 8
Black

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust dilemna - help me out   Exhaust dilemna - help me out Icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2008, 11:45 pm

lol wow
Back to top Go down
Golks
Rank 5
Rank 5
Golks

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust dilemna - help me out   Exhaust dilemna - help me out Icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2008, 11:47 pm

Jason- wrote:
JBlack09 wrote:

Ask if you can have it shipped via USPS, it will save you a considerable amount of money. If your only choice is with UPS have it shipped by air.

True. You can have it shipped expedited or air. Air is super expensive. You would probably pay atleast $200 for an exhaust.

Expedited rates are more expensive and pretty much just wave the brokerage charge. Then you are still expected to pay duty and tax and any other stupide chrges UPS or Fedex or DHL want to charge you.
Back to top Go down
Jason-
Rank 3
Rank 3
Jason-

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust dilemna - help me out   Exhaust dilemna - help me out Icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2008, 11:52 pm

Golks wrote:
Jason- wrote:
JBlack09 wrote:

True. You can have it shipped expedited or air. Air is super expensive. You would probably pay atleast $200 for an exhaust.

Expedited rates are more expensive and pretty much just wave the brokerage charge. Then you are still expected to pay duty and tax and any other stupide chrges UPS or Fedex or DHL want to charge you.

Your best bet would be to have it shipped USPS.
Back to top Go down
Golks
Rank 5
Rank 5
Golks

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust dilemna - help me out   Exhaust dilemna - help me out Icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2008, 11:54 pm

Jason- wrote:
Golks wrote:
Jason- wrote:
JBlack09 wrote:

Your best bet would be to have it shipped USPS.

Yes it would be....BUT and I say BUT. They may not take an Exhaust system because it is too large/heavy.

Also from experience, companies in the states hate shipping with USPS because of their tracking and claims system. Also companies have to pay for Pickups while the private companies pick-up for free.
Back to top Go down
Black
Rank 8
Rank 8
Black

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust dilemna - help me out   Exhaust dilemna - help me out Icon_minitimeApril 3rd 2008, 12:12 am

lol k i sent autotech an email asking if they could possibly give me a close estimate as to the final price including shipping taxes and duty and what not. If they say they can't figure it out then they obviously aren't trying that hard to sell there shit. Hopefully their reply will be quick
Back to top Go down
Golks
Rank 5
Rank 5
Golks

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust dilemna - help me out   Exhaust dilemna - help me out Icon_minitimeApril 3rd 2008, 12:19 am

JBlack09 wrote:
lol k i sent autotech an email asking if they could possibly give me a close estimate as to the final price including shipping taxes and duty and what not. If they say they can't figure it out then they obviously aren't trying that hard to sell there shit. Hopefully their reply will be quick

that is probably the best thing you could do.

They probably won't be able to tell you how much duty would be, but an actual quote on shipping would help out. I have a hard time beleiving they would ship to Canada for 50 dollars.

That sounds like a domestic rate to me.
Back to top Go down
Black
Rank 8
Rank 8
Black

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust dilemna - help me out   Exhaust dilemna - help me out Icon_minitimeApril 3rd 2008, 12:21 am

Yeah i donno i only found that out becasue i filled out the form like with my address and all that stuff as far as i could until it asked me for a method of payment and they said shipping to the address givin was like 52..
Back to top Go down
Harper
Rank 4
Rank 4
Harper

Number of posts : 303
Vehicle : 97 Prarie Porche
Registration date : 2008-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust dilemna - help me out   Exhaust dilemna - help me out Icon_minitimeApril 3rd 2008, 11:32 am

Do online stores like this accept paypal? Or just credit card only?
Back to top Go down
Golks
Rank 5
Rank 5
Golks

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust dilemna - help me out   Exhaust dilemna - help me out Icon_minitimeApril 3rd 2008, 11:55 am

Harper wrote:
Do online stores like this accept paypal? Or just credit card only?

Some do. Some don't.
Back to top Go down
Black
Rank 8
Rank 8
Black

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust dilemna - help me out   Exhaust dilemna - help me out Icon_minitimeApril 3rd 2008, 10:51 pm

K autotech replied, they said bout one hundred to ship to canada plus what the border charges, so i guess im looking at about 550/600 then?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust dilemna - help me out   Exhaust dilemna - help me out Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Exhaust dilemna - help me out
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next