Queen City Automotive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How Do I Paint My Rims Black The Easy Way?

Go down 
+9
Black
Piett
Clint Eastwood
corey
laynehip
Rob
teggydesign
1eightySX
xTitan69x
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
xTitan69x
Rank 2
Rank 2

Number of posts : 78
Vehicle : 2011 Genesis Coupe 2.0T GT
Registration date : 2008-08-11

How Do I Paint My Rims Black The Easy Way? Empty
PostSubject: How Do I Paint My Rims Black The Easy Way?   How Do I Paint My Rims Black The Easy Way? Icon_minitimeAugust 22nd 2008, 11:02 am

I want to paint my shitty stock rims black for now, But what is a cheap and easy way that is reliable and that the paint wont come off?
I got told spray paint, but if thats true, what kind, and where to buy it, if its not true, can anybody throw some suggestions at me?
Thanks!
Back to top Go down
1eightySX
Rank 9
Rank 9
1eightySX

Number of posts : 3807
Registration date : 2008-03-02

PostSubject: Re: How Do I Paint My Rims Black The Easy Way?   How Do I Paint My Rims Black The Easy Way? Icon_minitimeAugust 22nd 2008, 11:36 am

There is a DIY thread about, as it seems to be all the rage with the kids these days.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dodo-logic.ca
teggydesign
Rank 3
Rank 3
teggydesign

Number of posts : 100
Vehicle : 1998 acura tl
Registration date : 2008-02-25

PostSubject: Re: How Do I Paint My Rims Black The Easy Way?   How Do I Paint My Rims Black The Easy Way? Icon_minitimeAugust 22nd 2008, 1:12 pm

Go buy some scotch brite.scuff the surface tape up tires primer then paint and thier ya go
Back to top Go down
Rob
Rank 9
Rank 9
Rob

Number of posts : 3105
Vehicle : Jeep XJ / 2013 Mustang 5.0
Registration date : 2008-02-11

PostSubject: Re: How Do I Paint My Rims Black The Easy Way?   How Do I Paint My Rims Black The Easy Way? Icon_minitimeAugust 22nd 2008, 6:17 pm

its still probably gonna chip off if your just spray painting them
Back to top Go down
laynehip
Rank 9
Rank 9
laynehip

Number of posts : 2520
Vehicle : an ibm
Registration date : 2008-02-13

PostSubject: Re: How Do I Paint My Rims Black The Easy Way?   How Do I Paint My Rims Black The Easy Way? Icon_minitimeAugust 22nd 2008, 6:42 pm

Supra wrote:
the ones i painted black were good all winter and if you just spray painted them even if they do chip who cares you just spray some more on
Back to top Go down
Rob
Rank 9
Rank 9
Rob

PostSubject: Re: How Do I Paint My Rims Black The Easy Way?   How Do I Paint My Rims Black The Easy Way? Icon_minitimeAugust 22nd 2008, 6:55 pm

laynehip wrote:
Supra wrote:
the ones i painted black were good all winter and if you just spray painted them even if they do chip who cares you just spray some more on

true, but you just cant beat professional work/paint for looks and longevity. Or atleast thats what ive been told
Back to top Go down
corey
Admin
Admin
corey

Number of posts : 4758
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: How Do I Paint My Rims Black The Easy Way?   How Do I Paint My Rims Black The Easy Way? Icon_minitimeAugust 22nd 2008, 7:20 pm

Supra wrote:
laynehip wrote:
Supra wrote:

true, but you just cant beat professional work/paint for looks and longevity. Or atleast thats what ive been told
The whole point of painting your rims is to make it as cheap as possible yet spicing things up. If you are going to pay a professional to paint them then you mid as well go buy those expensive rims you've always wanted.
Back to top Go down
Clint Eastwood
Rank 7
Rank 7

Number of posts : 1284
Registration date : 2008-02-14

PostSubject: Re: How Do I Paint My Rims Black The Easy Way?   How Do I Paint My Rims Black The Easy Way? Icon_minitimeAugust 22nd 2008, 11:01 pm

It's like 600 dollars to get your rims painted. Expensive rims are no where near 600 dollars for a set, closer to 600 a wheel with tires. It would still be way cheaper to get them painted then to buy an "expensive" wheel.
Back to top Go down
Rob
Rank 9
Rank 9
Rob

PostSubject: Re: How Do I Paint My Rims Black The Easy Way?   How Do I Paint My Rims Black The Easy Way? Icon_minitimeAugust 22nd 2008, 11:11 pm

corey wrote:
Supra wrote:
laynehip wrote:
Supra wrote:

The whole point of painting your rims is to make it as cheap as possible yet spicing things up. If you are going to pay a professional to paint them then you mid as well go buy those expensive rims you've always wanted.

lol, you wont even get core racing's with tires for the price it would cost to paint them. Just my opinion though. Spray painting just seems tacky. Sure you could re-paint them but why would you wanna do that over and over again to keep them looking have decent?

Just keep saving and buy some nice new(or slightly used) rims to meet your needs or get your currents painted properly to be worth while. Dont waste your time or money
Back to top Go down
Piett
Rank 9
Rank 9

Number of posts : 2625
Vehicle : 03 350z

PostSubject: Re: How Do I Paint My Rims Black The Easy Way?   How Do I Paint My Rims Black The Easy Way? Icon_minitimeAugust 22nd 2008, 11:51 pm

people say when you spray paint your rims it flakes off and shit like that but if you do it right and take your rims sanding, primering, painting thin layers and clearcoating you have nothing to worry about..
Back to top Go down
Black
Rank 8
Rank 8
Black

Number of posts : 1526
Registration date : 2008-02-22

PostSubject: Re: How Do I Paint My Rims Black The Easy Way?   How Do I Paint My Rims Black The Easy Way? Icon_minitimeAugust 22nd 2008, 11:57 pm

brett how were your rims painted on your SS... sprayed?
Back to top Go down
Clint Eastwood
Rank 7
Rank 7

PostSubject: Re: How Do I Paint My Rims Black The Easy Way?   How Do I Paint My Rims Black The Easy Way? Icon_minitimeAugust 23rd 2008, 12:02 am

JBlack09 wrote:
brett how were your rims painted on your SS... sprayed?

Regina Wheel Works
Back to top Go down
Black
Rank 8
Rank 8
Black

PostSubject: Re: How Do I Paint My Rims Black The Easy Way?   How Do I Paint My Rims Black The Easy Way? Icon_minitimeAugust 23rd 2008, 12:04 am

cool lol i always thought he had spray painted them.. good thing i checked first or i would have been made a fool of!
Back to top Go down
Clint Eastwood
Rank 7
Rank 7

PostSubject: Re: How Do I Paint My Rims Black The Easy Way?   How Do I Paint My Rims Black The Easy Way? Icon_minitimeAugust 23rd 2008, 12:13 am

Well there are no receipts but if he sprayed them he did a damn fine job.
Back to top Go down
Black
Rank 8
Rank 8
Black

PostSubject: Re: How Do I Paint My Rims Black The Easy Way?   How Do I Paint My Rims Black The Easy Way? Icon_minitimeAugust 23rd 2008, 12:15 am

Clint Eastwood wrote:
Well there are no receipts but if he sprayed them he did a damn fine job.
lol yeah
Back to top Go down
corey
Admin
Admin
corey

PostSubject: Re: How Do I Paint My Rims Black The Easy Way?   How Do I Paint My Rims Black The Easy Way? Icon_minitimeAugust 23rd 2008, 12:23 am

$600 a rim? What in the fuck, you can get like good sets of rims for $1000!

I spray painted my tear drop 240 rims with BBQ paint very quickly and they lasted how long and never chipped or peeled.
Back to top Go down
Clint Eastwood
Rank 7
Rank 7

PostSubject: Re: How Do I Paint My Rims Black The Easy Way?   How Do I Paint My Rims Black The Easy Way? Icon_minitimeAugust 23rd 2008, 3:43 am

I guess we have 2 different opinions on what is a good rim. What kind of quality, good looking rims can you get for 1000 new with tires?
Back to top Go down
1eightySX
Rank 9
Rank 9
1eightySX

Number of posts : 3807
Registration date : 2008-03-02

PostSubject: Re: How Do I Paint My Rims Black The Easy Way?   How Do I Paint My Rims Black The Easy Way? Icon_minitimeAugust 23rd 2008, 12:44 pm

I picked my wheels up for $1500 and had to buy tires on top of that but works out to $375 a wheel minus rubber. With rubber it probably works out closer to $500. So if you are talking about $600 a wheel minus rubber, that is not just a good wheel but more than likely a great wheel, like volk or something. I don't think Corey is too far of by saying you can good set of wheels for about a $1000, and why pay someone to paint your stock wheels? If your that into them get them powder coated it will probably last longer. That is my just my two cents from my experience.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dodo-logic.ca
CamJohns122
Rank 7
Rank 7
CamJohns122

Number of posts : 1380
Vehicle : '93 Civic Si Hatch, 91 Chevy Sprint Turbo, 85 RX7 GSL
Registration date : 2008-02-19

PostSubject: Re: How Do I Paint My Rims Black The Easy Way?   How Do I Paint My Rims Black The Easy Way? Icon_minitimeAugust 23rd 2008, 2:12 pm

Powder coating has a bitch of a wait tho.

Wheel works and the regina wheel shop both quoting me 100 bucks a rim to have em painted if your rims have scuffs and chips its another 50 a rim to fix em
Back to top Go down
xTitan69x
Rank 2
Rank 2

PostSubject: Re: How Do I Paint My Rims Black The Easy Way?   How Do I Paint My Rims Black The Easy Way? Icon_minitimeAugust 23rd 2008, 3:16 pm

K so is there a cheap way lol...
I mean, I hate the hell out of my rims, but I want to see what they look like black, so i was going to go buy some spray paint for like 25$ and paint them black, but i was curious on what kind, and if it would last, so far im still not sure, lol, so if anybody has a cheap way, like 20-30$ of painting them black thats pretty reliable, tell me, lol, this is just temporary till i get new rims lol.
Back to top Go down
laynehip
Rank 9
Rank 9
laynehip

Number of posts : 2520
Vehicle : an ibm
Registration date : 2008-02-13

PostSubject: Re: How Do I Paint My Rims Black The Easy Way?   How Do I Paint My Rims Black The Easy Way? Icon_minitimeAugust 23rd 2008, 7:47 pm

xTitan69x wrote:
K so is there a cheap way lol...
I mean, I hate the hell out of my rims, but I want to see what they look like black, so i was going to go buy some spray paint for like 25$ and paint them black, but i was curious on what kind, and if it would last, so far im still not sure, lol, so if anybody has a cheap way, like 20-30$ of painting them black thats pretty reliable, tell me, lol, this is just temporary till i get new rims lol.
buy a couple sheets of like 150 grit, i was using 200 the other day and it worked good
dont worry about primer or anything and buy 1-2 cans of flat black spray paint for like 3 dollars a can from walmart
super cheap and will look awesome
Back to top Go down
Baht85
Rank 3
Rank 3
Baht85

Number of posts : 198
Vehicle : 04 sentra se r spec v
Registration date : 2008-03-12

PostSubject: Re: How Do I Paint My Rims Black The Easy Way?   How Do I Paint My Rims Black The Easy Way? Icon_minitimeAugust 23rd 2008, 7:54 pm

how long will that last tho?
Back to top Go down
xTitan69x
Rank 2
Rank 2

PostSubject: Re: How Do I Paint My Rims Black The Easy Way?   How Do I Paint My Rims Black The Easy Way? Icon_minitimeAugust 23rd 2008, 7:57 pm

Baht85 wrote:
how long will that last tho?

yeah, how long will that last, do you happen to know?
And what the hell is the grit for anyways? =P
Back to top Go down
Fiorante
Rank 7
Rank 7
Fiorante

Number of posts : 1234
Vehicle : frankenstien'd skyline
Registration date : 2008-03-04

PostSubject: Re: How Do I Paint My Rims Black The Easy Way?   How Do I Paint My Rims Black The Easy Way? Icon_minitimeAugust 23rd 2008, 8:23 pm

grit = the how rough of fine the sandpaper is, lower the number= rougher the sandpaper, high number = more fine sandpaper
Back to top Go down
corey
Admin
Admin
corey

PostSubject: Re: How Do I Paint My Rims Black The Easy Way?   How Do I Paint My Rims Black The Easy Way? Icon_minitimeAugust 23rd 2008, 8:26 pm

How about this to paint em it'll be $6 so go find out how long they last from first hand experience Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How Do I Paint My Rims Black The Easy Way?   How Do I Paint My Rims Black The Easy Way? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How Do I Paint My Rims Black The Easy Way?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next