Queen City Automotive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Flat Black Rims $$$

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
WPK
Rank 3
Rank 3
WPK

Number of posts : 157
Vehicle : 06 Ranger
Registration date : 2008-02-17

Flat Black Rims $$$ Empty
PostSubject: Flat Black Rims $$$   Flat Black Rims $$$ Icon_minitimeMay 26th 2008, 1:22 pm

I would like to get my rims done flat black. If somebody could help me with it and show me what to do it would be great. Cash incentives definetly Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy .
Back to top Go down
corey
Admin
Admin
corey

Number of posts : 4758
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Flat Black Rims $$$   Flat Black Rims $$$ Icon_minitimeMay 26th 2008, 1:30 pm

Whitepowerkid wrote:
I would like to get my rims done flat black. If somebody could help me with it and show me what to do it would be great. Cash incentives definetly Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy .
Kyle, I'll give you a hand.
Back to top Go down
veedub
Rank 7
Rank 7
veedub

Number of posts : 1074
Registration date : 2008-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Flat Black Rims $$$   Flat Black Rims $$$ Icon_minitimeMay 26th 2008, 1:31 pm

ask laynehip Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
laynehip
Rank 9
Rank 9
laynehip

Number of posts : 2520
Vehicle : an ibm

PostSubject: Re: Flat Black Rims $$$   Flat Black Rims $$$ Icon_minitimeMay 26th 2008, 3:25 pm

The nice thing about painting things flat black, especially car rims, is it hides a lot of mistakes.
So as long as you do a half decent job of prepping the rims for paint, and if at all possible, waiting a long time between coats it should come out looking amazing and will last a long time.
I wouldn't even worry about putting on primer if you dont plan on sanding the wheels down to the metal.
I did my stock audi wheels flat black last year for winter and i used a can of 5 dollar spray paint from canadian tire and after driving with them on all winter i didnt have any chips or knicks in the paint and i actually only ended up putting on 1 coat.
I dont know if you have an extra set of wheels to put on while your painting, but i paint a lot of bicycle stuff and i am always impatient and end up painting and riding the parts in a span of 5 hours and a day later the paint is already fucked. So if you can like do a coat, then wait like a day then do another coat then like wait a day then put them on your going to have a way better/longer lasting paint job.
I do a lot of painting metal stuff and i dont have a lot of fancy painting shit, i just sand stuff down with 320 sandpaper then go with a little finer grit after if there is some scratches, then i make sure i have them super clean before i lay down the spray paint. and on my "lifesaver" rims i did not too long ago i had some drips and stuff so i let it sit for a day then came back with i think it was like 1000 grit or something and wet it and then sanded down the drips then waiting awhile before i gave it another coat and they seem to be rock solid now.
But i did an entire bicycle flat black last summer and i think it is the absolute best paint to hide imperfections and is always the easiest to make look good.
so i say just buy some sand paper and some flat black spray paint and some painters tape and go ahead and spray them bitches!
Flat Black Rims $$$ IMG_9390
Back to top Go down
WPK
Rank 3
Rank 3
WPK

PostSubject: Re: Flat Black Rims $$$   Flat Black Rims $$$ Icon_minitimeMay 26th 2008, 3:29 pm

atm i dont have another set of rims and tires. Is it possible to do this while they are on the car? how many cans of paint and paper shud i get?
Back to top Go down
laynehip
Rank 9
Rank 9
laynehip

PostSubject: Re: Flat Black Rims $$$   Flat Black Rims $$$ Icon_minitimeMay 26th 2008, 3:39 pm

i would say it is for surely possible to paint the rims while they are on a car but would involve tons of painter taping.
but if you do it like corey and just take off one rim at a time then quickly sand and spray it then just be gingerly while putting them back on you should be fine but i dont know if your lug nuts holes on the rims are like indented, cause on mine they are and i fucked up the paint when i first put them on cause the wrench kept touching the outside of the thing and fucked up the paint but its on the inside and hard to see anyway.
unless you plan on doing like 3 coats a rim 1-2 cans should be fine and 1 role of tape should be plenty.
and dont use weird tape you find in a garage when you run out painters tape
cause i did this on my lifesaver rims and they are fucked now and will take me days and days to get all the tape residue that is on there off.
Back to top Go down
WPK
Rank 3
Rank 3
WPK

PostSubject: Re: Flat Black Rims $$$   Flat Black Rims $$$ Icon_minitimeMay 26th 2008, 3:50 pm

okay sounds good, how much time should i plan on spending --taking off tires,sanding,taping, painting (not including drying).
Back to top Go down
laynehip
Rank 9
Rank 9
laynehip

PostSubject: Re: Flat Black Rims $$$   Flat Black Rims $$$ Icon_minitimeMay 26th 2008, 4:02 pm

i would say like sanding/washing/taping/painting each wheel should take like 30 min-1 hr per wheel depending how fast one works
Back to top Go down
Rob
Rank 9
Rank 9
Rob

Number of posts : 3105
Vehicle : Jeep XJ / 2013 Mustang 5.0
Registration date : 2008-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Flat Black Rims $$$   Flat Black Rims $$$ Icon_minitimeMay 26th 2008, 11:53 pm

Do not paint the rims on the car! Overspray FTL!

But im sure layne thinks overspray is hot shit anyways
Back to top Go down
corey
Admin
Admin
corey

PostSubject: Re: Flat Black Rims $$$   Flat Black Rims $$$ Icon_minitimeMay 27th 2008, 12:10 am

Kyle, I basically took mine off sanded em down painted em and had them back off within 20 mins.
Back to top Go down
Rob
Rank 9
Rank 9
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Flat Black Rims $$$   Flat Black Rims $$$ Icon_minitimeMay 27th 2008, 12:12 am

corey wrote:
Kyle, I basically took mine off sanded em down painted em and had them back off within 20 mins.

But he probably wants them to look PERFECT!. Im too impatient to put more than 20 mins into that stuff though lol
Back to top Go down
corey
Admin
Admin
corey

PostSubject: Re: Flat Black Rims $$$   Flat Black Rims $$$ Icon_minitimeMay 27th 2008, 12:17 am

Mine do look perfect.
Back to top Go down
laynehip
Rank 9
Rank 9
laynehip

PostSubject: Re: Flat Black Rims $$$   Flat Black Rims $$$ Icon_minitimeMay 27th 2008, 1:02 am

Supra wrote:

i wish i could find the picture of a guy painting his rims while on a brand new golf
perhaps donovan has the picture
Back to top Go down
Rob
Rank 9
Rank 9
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Flat Black Rims $$$   Flat Black Rims $$$ Icon_minitimeMay 27th 2008, 10:45 am

laynehip wrote:
Supra wrote:

i wish i could find the picture of a guy painting his rims while on a brand new golf

What exactly would that prove?
Back to top Go down
laynehip
Rank 9
Rank 9
laynehip

PostSubject: Re: Flat Black Rims $$$   Flat Black Rims $$$ Icon_minitimeMay 27th 2008, 11:16 am

Supra wrote:
laynehip wrote:
Supra wrote:

What exactly would that prove?
it was a great picture that would have accompanied this thread perfectly
proving nothing however
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Flat Black Rims $$$   Flat Black Rims $$$ Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Flat Black Rims $$$
Page 1 of 1