Queen City Automotive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Clutch replacement $$$?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
kkid28
Rank 4
Rank 4
kkid28

Number of posts : 379
Vehicle : 93 Bird
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Clutch replacement $$$? Empty
PostSubject: Clutch replacement $$$?   Clutch replacement $$$? Icon_minitimeAugust 8th 2008, 7:36 pm

How much would it cost to replace the clutch in my sunbird... i don't think she has much life left in her (I'm not sure, i'm not exactly an expert) so I'm asking now before i decide to dump $800 bucks on stereo and then my clutch pooches and my car turns into a big speakerbox.
Back to top Go down
Rob
Rank 9
Rank 9
Rob

Number of posts : 3105
Vehicle : Jeep XJ / 2013 Mustang 5.0
Registration date : 2008-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Clutch replacement $$$?   Clutch replacement $$$? Icon_minitimeAugust 8th 2008, 7:56 pm

Why do you think you need a new clutch? explain
Back to top Go down
corey
Admin
Admin
corey

Number of posts : 4758
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Clutch replacement $$$?   Clutch replacement $$$? Icon_minitimeAugust 8th 2008, 8:30 pm

Is it slipping? Getting the clutch changed out at a shop will probly run you close to the cost of your sterio. You'd be better off shopping around for a replacement clutch on the web, may be able to find better bargain than payin full price at the shop.
Back to top Go down
kkid28
Rank 4
Rank 4
kkid28

PostSubject: Re: Clutch replacement $$$?   Clutch replacement $$$? Icon_minitimeAugust 8th 2008, 8:33 pm

corey wrote:
Is it slipping? Getting the clutch changed out at a shop will probly run you close to the cost of your sterio. You'd be better off shopping around for a replacement clutch on the web, may be able to find better bargain than payin full price at the shop.

Yeah, my buddy knows some backyard mechanic that would do it cheap, as long as i get the clutch. It's not that it's slipping, it just feel crappier than most clutches, you have to let the clutch out probably 6-7/10ths of the way before it even starts to grab... is that normal?
Back to top Go down
Rob
Rank 9
Rank 9
Rob

Number of posts : 3105
Vehicle : Jeep XJ / 2013 Mustang 5.0
Registration date : 2008-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Clutch replacement $$$?   Clutch replacement $$$? Icon_minitimeAugust 8th 2008, 8:35 pm

Thats normal as far as i know. Unless its slipping i wouldnt worry about it.

When I bought my saturn it was like that, year later its still going strong.
Back to top Go down
corey
Admin
Admin
corey

Number of posts : 4758
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Clutch replacement $$$?   Clutch replacement $$$? Icon_minitimeAugust 8th 2008, 8:42 pm

This may be super bias but, I've noticed that domestic 5speed clutches always feel so awkward(sunfire/cavalier for example)
Back to top Go down
kkid28
Rank 4
Rank 4
kkid28

PostSubject: Re: Clutch replacement $$$?   Clutch replacement $$$? Icon_minitimeAugust 8th 2008, 8:44 pm

corey wrote:
This may be super bias but, I've noticed that domestic 5speed clutches always feel so awkward(sunfire/cavalier for example)

My mom's cavalier starts grabbing at about halfway up, so i figured maybe mine's a lot more worn down :/ We'll see though. Thanks for the advice guys Wink
Back to top Go down
RyanR
Rank 6
Rank 6
RyanR

Number of posts : 752
Vehicle : 2008 Toyota Tundra
Registration date : 2008-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Clutch replacement $$$?   Clutch replacement $$$? Icon_minitimeAugust 8th 2008, 9:14 pm

Cable or hydraulically operated? IF its cable it may have an adjustment on the cable itself by the clutch arm. Its its hydralic it will have an adjustment by the pedal assembly
Back to top Go down
http://www.306motorclub.com
kkid28
Rank 4
Rank 4
kkid28

PostSubject: Re: Clutch replacement $$$?   Clutch replacement $$$? Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2008, 10:10 am

RyanR wrote:
Cable or hydraulically operated? IF its cable it may have an adjustment on the cable itself by the clutch arm. Its its hydralic it will have an adjustment by the pedal assembly

Ooo! I'll give it a look because i absolutely hate the way it feels right now.
Back to top Go down
Cody
Rank 3
Rank 3
Cody

Number of posts : 193
Vehicle : 1981 Malibu 355sbc
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Clutch replacement $$$?   Clutch replacement $$$? Icon_minitimeAugust 11th 2008, 2:28 pm

What year is your sunbird? Unless its older than 89 it should be hydraulic, and I changed the clutch in my 3.1 cav and it really wasn't very hard.. $200 for the clutch kit. But yeah check if it is slipping first, if not then its just worn a bit.

I'm assuming you know how to check for slippage?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Clutch replacement $$$?   Clutch replacement $$$? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Clutch replacement $$$?
Page 1 of 1