Queen City Automotive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Instalation of The VF52 turbo

Go down 
+8
Marshal
Black
abs0Lut
1eightySX
Jhall
Soup
subbie
12 posters
AuthorMessage
subbie
Rank 9
Rank 9

Number of posts : 4383
Registration date : 2008-08-29

Instalation of The VF52 turbo Empty
PostSubject: Instalation of The VF52 turbo   Instalation of The VF52 turbo Icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2009, 2:55 pm

Hey guys, so im hoping to get my CAI in this week and begin the swaping of the the turbo's. As im doing a TON of research on this over the past month and a bit i have seen a couple of threads about the install and about the "break-in" procedure.

1. As of right now in my engine I am running synthetic Royal Purple 5W30. I've read that for the "break-in" of a new turbo your not suppose to use synthetic oil, is this true?

2. What kind of break in procedures have people here done when installing a new turbo? ( i know there has been a few of you....Jordan, Ryan, Ryan, Adrian)

3. When installing the turbo apparently I'm suppose to clean out all lines and filters going to the turbo. How/what can I use that's not going to fuck the turbo up when I start it.

If some of you guys could give me a hand and give me some advice I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
Soup
Rank 7
Rank 7
Soup

Number of posts : 1037
Vehicle : 1990 Skyline GTS4
Registration date : 2008-08-05

PostSubject: Re: Instalation of The VF52 turbo   Instalation of The VF52 turbo Icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2009, 3:21 pm

The turbo I swapped in was used. So it was a matter of get it installed before autocross and bag it. I think i had it on and racing with it in like 2 hours or something

So i'm no help here haha
Back to top Go down
subbie
Rank 9
Rank 9

PostSubject: Re: Instalation of The VF52 turbo   Instalation of The VF52 turbo Icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2009, 3:30 pm

....thanks soup....lol hahaha
Back to top Go down
Jhall
Rank 9
Rank 9
Jhall

Number of posts : 2058
Vehicle : Ruckus/91 MX5
Registration date : 2009-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Instalation of The VF52 turbo   Instalation of The VF52 turbo Icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2009, 4:19 pm

i didn't really have a like a set break in period, i just didn't bag it for like a week, cause i was sorting out leaks and shit that kept coming up. So i don't know, i just drove nice for like a week, and mine is doing fine ha
Back to top Go down
1eightySX
Rank 9
Rank 9
1eightySX

Number of posts : 3807
Registration date : 2008-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Instalation of The VF52 turbo   Instalation of The VF52 turbo Icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2009, 4:38 pm

Yeah drove it to see if there was any leaks and then my boost was lower for some while, but not so much anymore.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dodo-logic.ca
subbie
Rank 9
Rank 9

PostSubject: Re: Instalation of The VF52 turbo   Instalation of The VF52 turbo Icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2009, 4:50 pm

what about the oil tho? i don't want to put non-synthetic oil in and then switch back to synthetic oil in 2 weeks. Isn't that really bad? Will leaving the oil synthetic really do damage to the turbo? I really cant see that...
Back to top Go down
1eightySX
Rank 9
Rank 9
1eightySX

PostSubject: Re: Instalation of The VF52 turbo   Instalation of The VF52 turbo Icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2009, 4:54 pm

A-dre did mine... couldn't tell you.
Back to top Go down
abs0Lut
Rank 9
Rank 9
abs0Lut

Number of posts : 2214
Vehicle : '95 EJ1
Registration date : 2009-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Instalation of The VF52 turbo   Instalation of The VF52 turbo Icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2009, 5:55 pm

i cant see how using synthetic will change anything since synthetic beats regular oil in pretty much every catagory.
Back to top Go down
Black
Rank 8
Rank 8
Black

Number of posts : 1526
Registration date : 2008-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Instalation of The VF52 turbo   Instalation of The VF52 turbo Icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2009, 5:59 pm

I thought i'd read somewhere something about priming it with oil
Back to top Go down
Marshal
Rank 9
Rank 9
Marshal

Number of posts : 2780
Vehicle : Nothing nice
Registration date : 2008-02-29

PostSubject: Re: Instalation of The VF52 turbo   Instalation of The VF52 turbo Icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2009, 6:07 pm

turbo's spin at speeds upwards of 150,000rpms... I'm sure aslong as you don't full boost it out of your driveway and jsut drive it moderately nice for atleast a few hours, it will be fine.
Defintely prime the turbo with oil before you even start the car.
Switching from conventional to synthetic shouldn;t be bad for the engine or the turbo, but I would just use synthetic.
Adrian is probably hte only real knowedge here though
Back to top Go down
Rank 7
Rank 7

Number of posts : 1219
Registration date : 2008-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Instalation of The VF52 turbo   Instalation of The VF52 turbo Icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2009, 6:11 pm

Marshal wrote:

because there isnt several people who are qualified mechanics on here?
Back to top Go down
1eightySX
Rank 9
Rank 9
1eightySX

PostSubject: Re: Instalation of The VF52 turbo   Instalation of The VF52 turbo Icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2009, 6:27 pm

bahrx7 wrote:
Marshal wrote:

Oh you know what the difference is.
Back to top Go down
Marshal
Rank 9
Rank 9
Marshal

Number of posts : 2780
Vehicle : Nothing nice
Registration date : 2008-02-29

PostSubject: Re: Instalation of The VF52 turbo   Instalation of The VF52 turbo Icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2009, 6:58 pm

SOHC AND DOHC
Back to top Go down
Rank 7
Rank 7

Number of posts : 1219
Registration date : 2008-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Instalation of The VF52 turbo   Instalation of The VF52 turbo Icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2009, 6:59 pm

Marshal wrote:
SOHC AND DOHC

less moving parts?
Back to top Go down
taylorvw
Rank 8
Rank 8
taylorvw

Number of posts : 1554
Vehicle : ce9a
Registration date : 2008-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Instalation of The VF52 turbo   Instalation of The VF52 turbo Icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2009, 7:17 pm

When swapping turbo's I ran synthetic(mobile 1), on the first start up i let the car idle for around 10 minutes to make sure everything was all lubed up in the turbo and then drove it around the block twice. When I did the first test of making boost on it I didnt go full throttle I kind of eased into it to see what the wastegate was set at and then did a wot run.
Back to top Go down
Moneypits
Rank 8
Rank 8

Number of posts : 1871
Registration date : 2008-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Instalation of The VF52 turbo   Instalation of The VF52 turbo Icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2009, 7:54 pm

1eightySX wrote:
bahrx7 wrote:
Marshal wrote:

no no we dont
Back to top Go down
240sxy
Rank 9
Rank 9
240sxy

Number of posts : 3560
Registration date : 2008-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Instalation of The VF52 turbo   Instalation of The VF52 turbo Icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2009, 8:57 pm

ball bearing turbos love synthetic oil.

it should have oil in it already

slap it on and go.
Back to top Go down
1eightySX
Rank 9
Rank 9
1eightySX

PostSubject: Re: Instalation of The VF52 turbo   Instalation of The VF52 turbo Icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2009, 9:50 pm

Moneypits wrote:
1eightySX wrote:
bahrx7 wrote:
Marshal wrote:

no no we dont

And now you know
Back to top Go down
subbie
Rank 9
Rank 9

PostSubject: Re: Instalation of The VF52 turbo   Instalation of The VF52 turbo Icon_minitimeSeptember 1st 2009, 11:52 am

hahah well thanks for the info, im hoping to do this on friday...also how the hell can i "prim the turbo with oil" without starting it. hahaha i know that sounds dumb but i can get at my coil packs!!!
Back to top Go down
raboyto2
Rank 6
Rank 6

Number of posts : 916
Vehicle : 1992 Toyota Hilux Surf
Registration date : 2008-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Instalation of The VF52 turbo   Instalation of The VF52 turbo Icon_minitimeSeptember 1st 2009, 12:18 pm

WReX wrote:
hahah well thanks for the info, im hoping to do this on friday...also how the hell can i "prim the turbo with oil" without starting it. hahaha i know that sounds dumb but i can get at my coil packs!!!

hmm. i just filled it upsidedown, filled the oil gallery with oil, spun it with my hands for a minute or so, then installed. some oil spilled out.

they just dont want the turbo to be bone dry on start up. its like installed new mainbearings without assembly lub. metal on metal contact = bad.
Back to top Go down
subbie
Rank 9
Rank 9

PostSubject: Re: Instalation of The VF52 turbo   Instalation of The VF52 turbo Icon_minitimeSeptember 1st 2009, 12:22 pm

raboyto2 wrote:
WReX wrote:

hmm. i just filled it upsidedown, filled the oil gallery with oil, spun it with my hands for a minute or so, then installed. some oil spilled out.

they just dont want the turbo to be bone dry on start up. its like installed new mainbearings without assembly lub. metal on metal contact = bad.

oh i agree, thats what im afraid of...isn't it really bad to spin the turbo with your hand???
Back to top Go down
240sxy
Rank 9
Rank 9
240sxy

Number of posts : 3560
Registration date : 2008-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Instalation of The VF52 turbo   Instalation of The VF52 turbo Icon_minitimeSeptember 1st 2009, 12:50 pm

who the hell is telling you all this stuff, it better be ken block atleast for you to believe it

your turbo is already primed, thats why it came in that bag, remember..cuz it leaks oil. take a small turkey baster and use that to put more oil in, its been awhile since youve had it.
Back to top Go down
subbie
Rank 9
Rank 9

PostSubject: Re: Instalation of The VF52 turbo   Instalation of The VF52 turbo Icon_minitimeSeptember 1st 2009, 2:07 pm

240sxy wrote:
who the hell is telling you all this stuff, it better be ken block atleast for you to believe it

your turbo is already primed, thats why it came in that bag, remember..cuz it leaks oil. take a small turkey baster and use that to put more oil in, its been awhile since youve had it.

lol shut up! hahahaha

its just info i've heard over the years haha. So if I did what yous said, put some more oil in with a turkey baster, it should be alright to turn it over after install? then just let it sit for 10-15 min and then a slow drive?
Back to top Go down
raboyto2
Rank 6
Rank 6

Number of posts : 916
Vehicle : 1992 Toyota Hilux Surf
Registration date : 2008-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Instalation of The VF52 turbo   Instalation of The VF52 turbo Icon_minitimeSeptember 1st 2009, 2:37 pm

WReX wrote:
240sxy wrote:

lol shut up! hahahaha

its just info i've heard over the years haha. So if I did what yous said, put some more oil in with a turkey baster, it should be alright to turn it over after install? then just let it sit for 10-15 min and then a slow drive?

just to make sure....you put the oil into the oil gallery, not into the INTAKE of the turbo, correct?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Instalation of The VF52 turbo   Instalation of The VF52 turbo Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Instalation of The VF52 turbo
Page 1 of 1