Queen City Automotive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

In need of advice.

Go down 
+9
240sxy
Cody
Fiorante
Piett
dr.dub
Rob
CamJohns122
slow
corey
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
corey
Admin
Admin
corey

Number of posts : 4758
Registration date : 2008-02-06

In need of advice. Empty
PostSubject: In need of advice.   In need of advice. Icon_minitimeSeptember 19th 2008, 6:15 pm

I was degreasing/pressuring washing the engine bay today when I noticed at the bottom of the strut tower on the driver side felt sort of weak and of course after pulling back the seal and hitting at it sure enough it is rusted. I phoned around to about 7 auto body shops and none of which are willing to even touch it. What do you guys suggest, would cutting this out and getting a patch welded in its place do the job?
In need of advice. IMG_0316
In need of advice. IMG_0317
I've gone through enough already so keep this thread informative and keep the bullshit to yourself. Seriously.
Back to top Go down
slow
Rank 3
Rank 3
slow

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2008-08-21

In need of advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: In need of advice.   In need of advice. Icon_minitimeSeptember 19th 2008, 6:40 pm

contact sedley autobody, Rob will fix that
Back to top Go down
CamJohns122
Rank 7
Rank 7
CamJohns122

Number of posts : 1380
Vehicle : '93 Civic Si Hatch, 91 Chevy Sprint Turbo, 85 RX7 GSL
Registration date : 2008-02-19

In need of advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: In need of advice.   In need of advice. Icon_minitimeSeptember 19th 2008, 6:59 pm

Shitty man i hate rust im in the same boat sorta,

id say cut it all out and weld in a new peice, a machinist should even be able to get any contours or anything you need. If autoshops arent willing to do it i know of a few guys who work at autobody places, also im friends with the owner of Ross Machining he might do it for you but wont warranty it or anything of course.

Didnt this car come from BC?
Back to top Go down
Rob
Rank 9
Rank 9
Rob

Number of posts : 3105
Vehicle : Jeep XJ / 2013 Mustang 5.0
Registration date : 2008-02-11

In need of advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: In need of advice.   In need of advice. Icon_minitimeSeptember 19th 2008, 7:00 pm

I think thats the LEAST of your worries corey. That really doesnt look hard to fix. Theres a guy in westhill even that may fix it for you in his own garage, im sure you know who he is
Back to top Go down
dr.dub
Rank 4
Rank 4

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2008-06-18

In need of advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: In need of advice.   In need of advice. Icon_minitimeSeptember 19th 2008, 7:08 pm

go to rose street just between the callcentre and the bargain centre and talk to dave cape at just daves hotrods. I bet he could turn that out in a day no problem and he does the nicest work in town I think. his p[rojects in his shop will explain that part of his work for you.
Back to top Go down
CamJohns122
Rank 7
Rank 7
CamJohns122

In need of advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: In need of advice.   In need of advice. Icon_minitimeSeptember 19th 2008, 7:09 pm

dr.dub wrote:
go to rose street just between the callcentre and the bargain centre and talk to dave cape at just daves hotrods. I bet he could turn that out in a day no problem and he does the nicest work in town I think. his p[rojects in his shop will explain that part of his work for you.

only problem ive had with dave is never returning my calls about fender rolling
Back to top Go down
Rob
Rank 9
Rank 9
Rob

In need of advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: In need of advice.   In need of advice. Icon_minitimeSeptember 19th 2008, 7:10 pm

CamJohns122 wrote:
dr.dub wrote:

Im gonna take a guess and say hes probably a busy guy. Have you gone to talk to him in person?
Back to top Go down
corey
Admin
Admin
corey

In need of advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: In need of advice.   In need of advice. Icon_minitimeSeptember 19th 2008, 7:16 pm

dr.dub wrote:
You wouldn't happen to have a contact number would you? Or would I be able to find it in the phone book under "Dave's hot rods"?

EDIT: Would a Machine Shop go about doing something like this? As it sits I don't believe it is very hard its pretty straightforward. Cut and weld.
Back to top Go down
Piett
Rank 9
Rank 9

Number of posts : 2625
Vehicle : 03 350z

In need of advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: In need of advice.   In need of advice. Icon_minitimeSeptember 19th 2008, 8:15 pm

fiberglass it.. done! Smile
Back to top Go down
dr.dub
Rank 4
Rank 4

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2008-06-18

In need of advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: In need of advice.   In need of advice. Icon_minitimeSeptember 19th 2008, 8:45 pm

CamJohns122 wrote:
dr.dub wrote:

fender rolling. he just does it the old fashion way and takes time and patience. doesn't nial have a fender roller? daves I don't think is listed in the phonebook it's more of a just drop in shop. he does bussiness by word of mouth.
Back to top Go down
Fiorante
Rank 7
Rank 7
Fiorante

Number of posts : 1234
Vehicle : frankenstien'd skyline
Registration date : 2008-03-04

In need of advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: In need of advice.   In need of advice. Icon_minitimeSeptember 19th 2008, 9:18 pm

just rivit a piece of sheet metal in there, and if you feel brave, ill let you borrow my welder:P
Back to top Go down
Cody
Rank 3
Rank 3
Cody

Number of posts : 193
Vehicle : 1981 Malibu 355sbc
Registration date : 2008-04-01

In need of advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: In need of advice.   In need of advice. Icon_minitimeSeptember 22nd 2008, 9:44 am

...why don't you go get a chunk of sheet metal, form it to be some-what close to how it originally was.. and weld it in. To me it looks like a couple hours of work if that.
Back to top Go down
240sxy
Rank 9
Rank 9
240sxy

Number of posts : 3560

In need of advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: In need of advice.   In need of advice. Icon_minitimeSeptember 22nd 2008, 4:47 pm

THE CAR ISNT WHITE OVER BLACK COREY....

ITS AN EDITED PHOTO...

STOCK 2 TONE..

POST IN THE RIGHT SECTION NEXT TIME..

GOSH..
Back to top Go down
CamJohns122
Rank 7
Rank 7
CamJohns122

In need of advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: In need of advice.   In need of advice. Icon_minitimeSeptember 22nd 2008, 4:49 pm

240sxy wrote:
THE CAR ISNT WHITE OVER BLACK COREY....

ITS AN EDITED PHOTO...

STOCK 2 TONE..

POST IN THE RIGHT SECTION NEXT TIME..

GOSH..

huh?
Back to top Go down
240sxy
Rank 9
Rank 9
240sxy

Number of posts : 3560

In need of advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: In need of advice.   In need of advice. Icon_minitimeSeptember 22nd 2008, 9:25 pm

CamJohns122 wrote:

huh?

are you corey.

Shocked
Back to top Go down
laynehip
Rank 9
Rank 9
laynehip

Number of posts : 2520
Vehicle : an ibm
Registration date : 2008-02-13

In need of advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: In need of advice.   In need of advice. Icon_minitimeSeptember 22nd 2008, 10:13 pm

i remember the day this happened and corey absolutely freaked out
saying he wanted to kill himself and was putting the car away for the winter then selling it in the spring
he is one for the dramatics
Back to top Go down
corey
Admin
Admin
corey

In need of advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: In need of advice.   In need of advice. Icon_minitimeSeptember 22nd 2008, 10:46 pm

240sxy wrote:
CamJohns122 wrote:

huh?

are you corey.

Shocked
No, but I am. Ban.

Edit: Layne, fuck you.
Tell your parents to sponsor my car like they did your audi and pay for everything then I'll be all moody cause my $2000 rims don't make me happy.
Back to top Go down
RyanR
Rank 6
Rank 6
RyanR

Number of posts : 752
Vehicle : 2008 Toyota Tundra
Registration date : 2008-06-22

In need of advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: In need of advice.   In need of advice. Icon_minitimeSeptember 22nd 2008, 11:01 pm

corey wrote:
240sxy wrote:
CamJohns122 wrote:

huh?

are you corey.

Shocked
No, but I am. Ban.

Tell your parents to sponsor my car like they did your audi and pay for everything then I'll be all moody cause my $2000 rims don't make me happy.

boo fucking hoo.

In need of advice. 14171-72819-waaaambulance23284jpg-550x
Back to top Go down
http://www.306motorclub.com
1eightySX
Rank 9
Rank 9
1eightySX

Number of posts : 3807
Registration date : 2008-03-02

In need of advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: In need of advice.   In need of advice. Icon_minitimeSeptember 22nd 2008, 11:03 pm

corey wrote:
240sxy wrote:
CamJohns122 wrote:

huh?

are you corey.

Shocked
No, but I am. Ban.

Well played... I say that objectively.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dodo-logic.ca
laynehip
Rank 9
Rank 9
laynehip

Number of posts : 2520
Vehicle : an ibm
Registration date : 2008-02-13

In need of advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: In need of advice.   In need of advice. Icon_minitimeSeptember 22nd 2008, 11:42 pm

Haha I hate those fucking rims!!!!!!!!! Hehe
Back to top Go down
Cody
Rank 3
Rank 3
Cody

Number of posts : 193
Vehicle : 1981 Malibu 355sbc
Registration date : 2008-04-01

In need of advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: In need of advice.   In need of advice. Icon_minitimeSeptember 23rd 2008, 7:10 pm

corey wrote:
I was degreasing/pressuring washing the engine bay today when I noticed at the bottom of the strut tower on the driver side felt sort of weak and of course after pulling back the seal and hitting at it sure enough it is rusted. I phoned around to about 7 auto body shops and none of which are willing to even touch it. What do you guys suggest, would cutting this out and getting a patch welded in its place do the job?
In need of advice. IMG_0316
In need of advice. IMG_0317
I've gone through enough already so keep this thread informative and keep the bullshit to yourself. Seriously.

To save a lot of money I would go and get some metal and make a piece you can weld in there. Cut out all the rust.
It looks like a fairly simple piece to make, and even if its not exactly how it was before its no big deal.
Back to top Go down
corey
Admin
Admin
corey

In need of advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: In need of advice.   In need of advice. Icon_minitimeSeptember 23rd 2008, 9:54 pm

Oh how I would love too, but the thing is I have absolutely no tools to do such a job.
Would someone be able to give me a idea of how/what I would have to do.
Or better yet is there anyone around here that is an experienced welder?
Back to top Go down
Fiorante
Rank 7
Rank 7
Fiorante

Number of posts : 1234
Vehicle : frankenstien'd skyline
Registration date : 2008-03-04

In need of advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: In need of advice.   In need of advice. Icon_minitimeSeptember 23rd 2008, 10:59 pm

ive got a welder, just find yourself a mask and some gloves, and some sheet metal to practice on, and your good to go, we can do it in evans garage!
Back to top Go down
Rob
Rank 9
Rank 9
Rob

In need of advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: In need of advice.   In need of advice. Icon_minitimeSeptember 23rd 2008, 11:01 pm

Give it a shot corey!. Whats the worst that could happen?
Back to top Go down
corey
Admin
Admin
corey

In need of advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: In need of advice.   In need of advice. Icon_minitimeSeptember 23rd 2008, 11:03 pm

Supra wrote:
Give it a shot corey!. Whats the worst that could happen?
Well would your dad still be willing to do it? If not maybe he could ask that dude with all the camaros?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

In need of advice. Empty
PostSubject: Re: In need of advice.   In need of advice. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

In need of advice.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next