Queen City Automotive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Safety question

Go down 
+5
Marshal
corey
Moneypits
Rob
Clint Eastwood
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Clint Eastwood
Rank 7
Rank 7

Number of posts : 1284
Registration date : 2008-02-14

Safety question Empty
PostSubject: Safety question   Safety question Icon_minitimeJanuary 22nd 2009, 5:22 pm

Any issues with bringing an car with a salvage title over from alberta? The car has already passed inspection there. Would I have to do any extra inspection or something?
Back to top Go down
Rob
Rank 9
Rank 9
Rob

Number of posts : 3105
Vehicle : Jeep XJ / 2013 Mustang 5.0
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Safety question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safety question   Safety question Icon_minitimeJanuary 22nd 2009, 5:24 pm

i think thats only an issue when bringing a vehicle from the U.S. But im not sure.
Back to top Go down
Clint Eastwood
Rank 7
Rank 7

Safety question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safety question   Safety question Icon_minitimeJanuary 22nd 2009, 5:36 pm

Supra wrote:
i think thats only an issue when bringing a vehicle from the U.S. But im not sure.
Thats what I though to.

But this particular vehicle was written off in the states and is apparently safetied in alberta right now. I also believe thats how the mk4 R32 got into regina before the bumper law changed. I'm confused by all this and am looking for some clarification.
Back to top Go down
Moneypits
Rank 8
Rank 8

Number of posts : 1871
Registration date : 2008-12-16

Safety question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safety question   Safety question Icon_minitimeJanuary 22nd 2009, 5:38 pm

The guy who owns the R32 is a buddy of mine it came in as a salvage title from the states then was repaired and saftied.

Only watch out for if its a repairable salvage title, if its deemed unrepairable then stay far away or youll end up with my problems
Back to top Go down
Clint Eastwood
Rank 7
Rank 7

Safety question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safety question   Safety question Icon_minitimeJanuary 22nd 2009, 5:42 pm

Moneypits wrote:
The guy who owns the R32 is a buddy of mine it came in as a salvage title from the states then was repaired and saftied.

Only watch out for if its a repairable salvage title, if its deemed unrepairable then stay far away or youll end up with my problems

Please elaborate on your "problems". I think I would be fine in this case, because it's licensed in alberta already.
Back to top Go down
corey
Admin
Admin
corey

Number of posts : 4758
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Safety question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safety question   Safety question Icon_minitimeJanuary 22nd 2009, 6:24 pm

As long as the car was repaired correctly and is back to spec. Best bet is to go see the car in person and go from there.
Back to top Go down
Marshal
Rank 9
Rank 9
Marshal

Number of posts : 2780
Vehicle : Nothing nice
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Safety question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safety question   Safety question Icon_minitimeJanuary 22nd 2009, 6:34 pm

it was plated in Alberta correct?
If so, all you will need is a mechanical inspection. Easy peasy.
When a vehichle has a been deemed a "total loss", and has been re-saftied, in the eyes of SGI and the law, it is deemed repaired and "as-new".
my dad and I have delt with this several times, and aslogn as the law hasn;t changed, you're all set
Back to top Go down
Clint Eastwood
Rank 7
Rank 7

Safety question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safety question   Safety question Icon_minitimeJanuary 22nd 2009, 6:36 pm

All sounds good! And I would definitely go look at an out of province car before buying.
Back to top Go down
Earlface
Rank 4
Rank 4

Number of posts : 349
Vehicle : 07 Tundra
Registration date : 2008-06-27

Safety question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safety question   Safety question Icon_minitimeJanuary 22nd 2009, 7:28 pm

i was actually going to start a safety thread too...what makes a vehicle require a safety? looking at a truck that has been licensed in sask before but not for a few years. anyone have any links or answers for me? thanks and sorry for the threadjack big guy
Back to top Go down
Clint Eastwood
Rank 7
Rank 7

Safety question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safety question   Safety question Icon_minitimeJanuary 22nd 2009, 7:31 pm

No thread jack, I got my answer and to answer yours. Unless it's been registered in another province while it wasn't registered here you should be good to go. If it was registered somewhere else you would have to safety it. I think...
Back to top Go down
jdm_itr
jdm_itr

Number of posts : 4480
Vehicle : 99ITR/00 Ej6
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Safety question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safety question   Safety question Icon_minitimeJanuary 22nd 2009, 7:32 pm

i hope my car passes saftey Shocked
Back to top Go down
Rob
Rank 9
Rank 9
Rob

Safety question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safety question   Safety question Icon_minitimeJanuary 22nd 2009, 7:33 pm

If it has ever been registered in sask, or you have proof its ever been registered in sask, your good to go (unless its been flagged). I went through a lot of bullshit with my supra because it wasent showing up on their system and i didnt have a registration so they said it needed safety. Turned out i gave them the wrong VIN number.. hah

Last edited by Supra on January 22nd 2009, 7:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Marshal
Rank 9
Rank 9
Marshal

Safety question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safety question   Safety question Icon_minitimeJanuary 22nd 2009, 7:34 pm

I bought a car that hadn't been registered in over 7 years, and it needed BOTH safties becasue of it.
That is all I know.
Back to top Go down
Rob
Rank 9
Rank 9
Rob

Safety question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safety question   Safety question Icon_minitimeJanuary 22nd 2009, 7:36 pm

Marshal wrote:
I bought a car that hadn't been registered in over 7 years, and it needed BOTH safties becasue of it.
That is all I know.

my supra wasent registered or 6 or 7 years, was no problem getting it plated after i gave them the right vin number lol
Back to top Go down
DOOLHA
Rank 7
Rank 7
DOOLHA

Number of posts : 1053
Vehicle : schirting
Registration date : 2008-08-28

Safety question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safety question   Safety question Icon_minitimeJanuary 22nd 2009, 7:44 pm

wat kind of car?
Back to top Go down
jdm_itr
jdm_itr

Number of posts : 4480
Vehicle : 99ITR/00 Ej6
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Safety question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safety question   Safety question Icon_minitimeJanuary 22nd 2009, 7:45 pm

Supra wrote:
Marshal wrote:
That is all I know.

my supra wasent registered or 6 or 7 years, was no problem getting it plated after i gave them the right vin number lol
they use to have a rule that if it hadnt been registerd for 3 years than it needs saftey but they scraped that rule i know
Back to top Go down
Earlface
Rank 4
Rank 4

Number of posts : 349
Vehicle : 07 Tundra
Registration date : 2008-06-27

Safety question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safety question   Safety question Icon_minitimeJanuary 22nd 2009, 10:18 pm

OCHO wrote:
wat kind of car?

if you were asking me its just a ranger. friend inherited it from his grandpa with all the body work done and just needed a coat of primer. has been sitting on his driveway ever since he primed it and he wants it gone so im getting it for a song and dance. just need something to haul my toys i still have my other vehicle.
Back to top Go down
Moneypits
Rank 8
Rank 8

Safety question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safety question   Safety question Icon_minitimeJanuary 23rd 2009, 12:07 am

Although everyones saying this trust me brett. I bought a car that was saftied and driven in manitoba for 13 years! I brought it here had it saftied and low and behold couldnt register it because even tho it was repaired to spec, it was deemed an UN-repairable total loss in 1993 first year it was made, reason? couldnt tell you all i know is it took me an extra two months of bitching and some string pulling to get a new vin reissued so be extra careful
Back to top Go down
Marshal
Rank 9
Rank 9
Marshal

Safety question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safety question   Safety question Icon_minitimeJanuary 23rd 2009, 3:20 pm

Well when we brought my mom\s wagon over from Germany, it passed teh saftey no problem, but SGI wouldn't register it becasue they say the vin didn't exist.
Everyone has different experiences. I think Cam's was becasue the owner never told him it was a previous total loss, which is ILLEGAL in every province. in sask, vehicles aren;t deemed "unrepairable", they are just considered a total loss, I don't knwo what alberta's laws are.
Maybe get teh VIN from the owner, and take it to SGI and see what they say it needs
Back to top Go down
Moneypits
Rank 8
Rank 8

Safety question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safety question   Safety question Icon_minitimeJanuary 23rd 2009, 3:28 pm

Marshal wrote:
Well when we brought my mom\s wagon over from Germany, it passed teh saftey no problem, but SGI wouldn't register it becasue they say the vin didn't exist.
Everyone has different experiences. I think Cam's was becasue the owner never told him it was a previous total loss, which is ILLEGAL in every province. in sask, vehicles aren;t deemed "unrepairable", they are just considered a total loss, I don't knwo what alberta's laws are.
Maybe get teh VIN from the owner, and take it to SGI and see what they say it needs

well techincally it wasnt the owner so much as to go into detail in 1993 British Columbia deemed the car unrepairable total loss (SGI says cause around this time there were alot of chop show type places running and cars were stolen and stripped) so best i can figure out is the original manitoba owner brought it over as a shell, rebuilt it, saftied it and drove it. As this was all before insurance places were connected using the internet, winnipeg did not know the car was a total loss deemed unrepairable so they registered it and that was that. Long story short i brought the car here insurance places are now computerized, flag goes up saying car was deemed unrepairable, i suffer consequences, i rip vin off with needle nose pliers i get new one reissued and i drive the car
Back to top Go down
JSharp
Rank 8
Rank 8
JSharp

Number of posts : 1577
Vehicle : 2002 Yamaha R1, 2003 Nissan 350z, 2005 Yamaha R6
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Safety question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safety question   Safety question Icon_minitimeJanuary 23rd 2009, 3:34 pm

Moneypits wrote:
Marshal wrote:

well techincally it wasnt the owner so much as to go into detail in 1993 British Columbia deemed the car unrepairable total loss (SGI says cause around this time there were alot of chop show type places running and cars were stolen and stripped) so best i can figure out is the original manitoba owner brought it over as a shell, rebuilt it, saftied it and drove it. As this was all before insurance places were connected using the internet, winnipeg did not know the car was a total loss deemed unrepairable so they registered it and that was that. Long story short i brought the car here insurance places are now computerized, flag goes up saying car was deemed unrepairable, i suffer consequences, i rip vin off with needle nose pliers i get new one reissued and i drive the car

Haha (i remember i had to go to three different license issuers before someone knew what to do with my Form 1 from the import on my GSX)

not all places are equal
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Safety question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safety question   Safety question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Safety question
Page 1 of 1