Queen City Automotive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

In need of advice.

Go down 
+9
240sxy
Cody
Fiorante
Piett
dr.dub
Rob
CamJohns122
slow
corey
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Marshal
Rank 9
Rank 9
Marshal

Number of posts : 2780
Vehicle : Nothing nice
Registration date : 2008-02-29

In need of advice. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: In need of advice.   In need of advice. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 24th 2008, 1:55 pm

go to princess auto, buy a set of autobody hammers, a set of autobody dollies, and tin snips or a grinder to cut out the metal. maybe $50 in tools at the most, but I'm betting $25ish if you find stuff on sale
Back to top Go down
Cody
Rank 3
Rank 3
Cody

Number of posts : 193
Vehicle : 1981 Malibu 355sbc
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: In need of advice.   In need of advice. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 24th 2008, 7:42 pm

Yeah all you really need is a hammer, and something to cut metal with, and a welder(preferebly mig with gas). And like marshal said, get some autobody dollies.. so you can form the metal with the hammer. May take a bit of time if you haven't done it before but you will find that it is fairly easy. You should know this but once you have everything cut out and formed, ready to weld in, tack it in with like 6 tack welds, then go around the piece and just keep tacking it. Try to go from one end to another cause thin metal warps easy when it's hot. Then once you have a good portion of it tacked in you can do probably about 1/4" - 1/2" welds. Desireably you want to let it cool between welds, but for that piece I'm sure you won't have to be too anal about that.
Back to top Go down
corey
Admin
Admin
corey

Number of posts : 4758
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: In need of advice.   In need of advice. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2008, 8:37 pm

I called "ABC welding" and they will weld the piece in place and grind off the welds on the top of the strut towers and redo them for $35. So I just got to fab up the plate for the lower strut tower then they will do the rest.

I'm going to pick up the tools tomorrow and then get some sheet metal from CMS. Does anyone know the gauge required?
Back to top Go down
240sxy
Rank 9
Rank 9
240sxy

Number of posts : 3560
Registration date : 2008-02-19

PostSubject: Re: In need of advice.   In need of advice. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2008, 9:06 pm

what? lol

abc welding charged $75 an hour for welding when i went there
Back to top Go down
corey
Admin
Admin
corey

Number of posts : 4758
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: In need of advice.   In need of advice. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2008, 9:43 pm

240sxy wrote:
what? lol

abc welding charged $75 an hour for welding when i went there
He figures it would take half an hour to 45 minutes to complete it all. Maybe he is just under estimating?

What did you get done there and was it quality work?
Back to top Go down
Cody
Rank 3
Rank 3
Cody

Number of posts : 193
Vehicle : 1981 Malibu 355sbc
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: In need of advice.   In need of advice. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2008, 10:12 pm

Under an hour seems about right, especially just to weld it in. You could use 18 or 16 gauge. I'm sure its not thicker than that
Back to top Go down
240sxy
Rank 9
Rank 9
240sxy

Number of posts : 3560
Registration date : 2008-02-19

PostSubject: Re: In need of advice.   In need of advice. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2008, 10:17 pm

i had some uh, bars welded.

they really pile on the weld, gives you alot of grinding down.

nice welds.

it wasnt that big of a project though, so my experiance is insignificant.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: In need of advice.   In need of advice. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

In need of advice.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2