Queen City Automotive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Clutchless shifting

Go down 
+17
RyanR
Maniac
Noops
Mick6
_....
Rob
taylorvw
mr.bellamy
Fuckbag
veedub
Fiorante
CamJohns122
phoez
Thai-kun
BrYaNtOn
kkid28
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
kkid28
Rank 4
Rank 4
kkid28

Number of posts : 379
Vehicle : 93 Bird
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Clutchless shifting Empty
PostSubject: Clutchless shifting   Clutchless shifting Icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2008, 1:30 am

Anyone do this? I accidentally discovered how to do it today and it feels so much more rewarding than working that stupid 3rd pedal all the time. lol
Back to top Go down
BrYaNtOn
Rank 3
Rank 3

Number of posts : 132
Vehicle : 1989 nissan 240sx
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Clutchless shifting   Clutchless shifting Icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2008, 2:00 am

i do it sometimes
Back to top Go down
Thai-kun
Rank 6
Rank 6

Number of posts : 810
Vehicle : 2000 Honda S2000 [AP1]
Registration date : 2008-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Clutchless shifting   Clutchless shifting Icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2008, 2:06 am

eh...they put the clutch pedal there for a reason, so I use it.
Back to top Go down
kkid28
Rank 4
Rank 4
kkid28

Number of posts : 379
Vehicle : 93 Bird
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Clutchless shifting   Clutchless shifting Icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2008, 2:14 am

Semi driver's rarely use the clutch apparently, other than to start rolling. It's not really necessary as long as you rev-match. It's fun to do anyway.
Back to top Go down
phoez
Rank 7
Rank 7

Number of posts : 1337
Vehicle : nokia + xj

PostSubject: Re: Clutchless shifting   Clutchless shifting Icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2008, 3:43 am

cuonger, and teggydesign are both pro at it.
Back to top Go down
CamJohns122
Rank 7
Rank 7
CamJohns122

Number of posts : 1380
Vehicle : '93 Civic Si Hatch, 91 Chevy Sprint Turbo, 85 RX7 GSL
Registration date : 2008-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Clutchless shifting   Clutchless shifting Icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2008, 3:50 am

Thai-kun wrote:

agreed
Back to top Go down
Fiorante
Rank 7
Rank 7
Fiorante

Number of posts : 1234
Vehicle : frankenstien'd skyline
Registration date : 2008-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Clutchless shifting   Clutchless shifting Icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2008, 3:52 am

im getting better at it, can go through every gear without grinding, 5th is a little tricky tho.
Back to top Go down
phoez
Rank 7
Rank 7

Number of posts : 1337
Vehicle : nokia + xj

PostSubject: Re: Clutchless shifting   Clutchless shifting Icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2008, 3:54 am

shift at about 2500rpm
Back to top Go down
veedub
Rank 7
Rank 7
veedub

Number of posts : 1074
Registration date : 2008-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Clutchless shifting   Clutchless shifting Icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2008, 4:06 am

CamJohns122 wrote:
Thai-kun wrote:

agreed

x3
Back to top Go down
Fiorante
Rank 7
Rank 7
Fiorante

Number of posts : 1234
Vehicle : frankenstien'd skyline
Registration date : 2008-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Clutchless shifting   Clutchless shifting Icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2008, 4:12 am

ya, but sometimes its nice to be able to cruise around and be lazy, its sounds bad, but ive gotten bored of driving a standard car, in rush hour traffic i just seems like more of a hassle, not saying i would want an automatic sports car, but for a daily driver why not?
Back to top Go down
Fuckbag
Rank 2
Rank 2

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2008-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Clutchless shifting   Clutchless shifting Icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2008, 12:33 pm

i always wondered what that 3rd pedel was for
Back to top Go down
Rank 7
Rank 7

Number of posts : 1219
Registration date : 2008-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Clutchless shifting   Clutchless shifting Icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2008, 12:58 pm

i worked on semi's for over a year, every driver i talked to used the clutch.
Back to top Go down
mr.bellamy
Rank 3
Rank 3
mr.bellamy

Number of posts : 125
Vehicle : 2000 Black Integra
Registration date : 2008-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Clutchless shifting   Clutchless shifting Icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2008, 1:17 pm

Veedub wrote:
CamJohns122 wrote:
Thai-kun wrote:

agreed

x3

x4
Back to top Go down
taylorvw
Rank 8
Rank 8
taylorvw

Number of posts : 1554
Vehicle : ce9a
Registration date : 2008-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Clutchless shifting   Clutchless shifting Icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2008, 4:14 pm

Thai-kun wrote:

you drive a auto.. how the fuck do you use one?
Back to top Go down
Thai-kun
Rank 6
Rank 6

Number of posts : 810
Vehicle : 2000 Honda S2000 [AP1]

PostSubject: Re: Clutchless shifting   Clutchless shifting Icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2008, 4:17 pm

taylorvw wrote:
Thai-kun wrote:

you drive a auto.. how the fuck do you use one?

My previous cars were all 5 speed, dumbass Razz
Back to top Go down
Rob
Rank 9
Rank 9
Rob

Number of posts : 3105
Vehicle : Jeep XJ / 2013 Mustang 5.0
Registration date : 2008-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Clutchless shifting   Clutchless shifting Icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2008, 6:42 pm

If you dont like using the 3rd pedal get an automatic. Lazy turds
Back to top Go down
_....
Rank 4
Rank 4

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2008-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Clutchless shifting   Clutchless shifting Icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2008, 8:21 pm

I say go for it! Its not like transmissions are expensive to replace.
Back to top Go down
Mick6
Rank 1
Rank 1
Mick6

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Clutchless shifting   Clutchless shifting Icon_minitimeSeptember 16th 2008, 6:35 pm

Shitty I figured this thread was going have to do more with sequential shift tranny's .. but as for H pattern's I shift without a clutch all the time, no harm.. thats what the syncro's are for
Back to top Go down
Noops
Rank 8
Rank 8
Noops

Number of posts : 1749
Vehicle : 02 Audi A6
Registration date : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Clutchless shifting   Clutchless shifting Icon_minitimeSeptember 16th 2008, 7:53 pm

You are plain dumb If you don use your clutch to shift, just cuz you can do it doesnt mean you want to, Grab a brain and use it
Back to top Go down
http://www.honda-tech.com
Mick6
Rank 1
Rank 1
Mick6

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Clutchless shifting   Clutchless shifting Icon_minitimeSeptember 16th 2008, 8:48 pm

Noops H2 wrote:
You are plain dumb If you don use your clutch to shift, just cuz you can do it doesnt mean you want to, Grab a brain and use it

Grab a brain, and learn how a tranny works for fuck sakes.. it doesnt matter.. if u dont hear gears grinding your not causing any more wear to anything, if anything else your saving a fuck load of wear to your clutch, and release bearing..
Back to top Go down
Maniac
Rank 4
Rank 4

Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2008-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Clutchless shifting   Clutchless shifting Icon_minitimeSeptember 16th 2008, 9:14 pm

Relax clutches are there for a reason. Not saying you can't but you better be good at it. I was going to try this in my car and know roughly when the best rmps are but was to afraid lol. I use my clutch for now. But now wrap your head around this whats cheaper new clutch or tranny, please tell me I'm not to sure?Smile

Last edited by EP304 on September 16th 2008, 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
RyanR
Rank 6
Rank 6
RyanR

Number of posts : 752
Vehicle : 2008 Toyota Tundra
Registration date : 2008-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Clutchless shifting   Clutchless shifting Icon_minitimeSeptember 16th 2008, 10:27 pm

First off you do not need a new tranmission. Synchros rings, shift sleeves, gears, and bearings can be bought for the price of a complete clutch installation. I've rebuilt several Hyundai trannys replacing a couple gears, all synchros and all bearings for under 600 bucks. + labour ofcourse. Smile

Why they fuck are we arguing about this? Synchros are there to aid in the meshing of the shift collar and the dog teeth on the gear. Whether you use a clutch or not they are wearing ALL THE TIME ON EVERY SHIFT! Thats why they are made from either a fibre material or bronze or whatever. To be softer than the metal trying to mesh thus not damaging it. Thats what they do, they wear. You're trying to engage free spinning teeth on spinning teeth ofcourse there is going to be wear trying to get it all up to speed. If done correctly there is no more wear on anything. Would I reccomend it? No. Do I do it? Yes.
Back to top Go down
http://www.306motorclub.com
Cody
Rank 3
Rank 3
Cody

Number of posts : 193
Vehicle : 1981 Malibu 355sbc
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Clutchless shifting   Clutchless shifting Icon_minitimeSeptember 16th 2008, 10:37 pm

lol I sure hope you guys don't pay $600 to change a clutch..

clutch kits are like $200 and takes a couple hours to change them

I've done about 6 or 7 and imports are a lot easier than domestics I have found out Laughing
Back to top Go down
RyanR
Rank 6
Rank 6
RyanR

Number of posts : 752
Vehicle : 2008 Toyota Tundra
Registration date : 2008-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Clutchless shifting   Clutchless shifting Icon_minitimeSeptember 16th 2008, 10:46 pm

Cody wrote:
lol I sure hope you guys don't pay $600 to change a clutch..

clutch kits are like $200 and takes a couple hours to change them

I've done about 6 or 7 and imports are a lot easier than domestics I have found out Laughing

Depends on what you are working in regarding to how long things take. A couple hours in a pretty broad statement. I'm gonna venture to say I change a 2-3 clutches a month and they all seem to be 2.0l 4 cyl tibs and elantras. Recently did a clutch on a cavalier and was not hard at all. Then again did one on an older Honda Prelude and wanted to kill myself.

Tiburons are big money makers on clutches. Parts are a hair over 200 dollars. Book time pays 4.5 or something like that.

200 + 4.5 at 95 dollars an hour plus shop supplies, plus taxes = roughly $800.
Back to top Go down
http://www.306motorclub.com
Maniac
Rank 4
Rank 4

Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2008-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Clutchless shifting   Clutchless shifting Icon_minitimeSeptember 16th 2008, 10:53 pm

Is this not putting unnecessary strain on the synchros since the synchros may be picking up the slack.Do you guys downshift with no clutch also?

Changing a clutch is easy. I would've gladly paid someone $95/hr to do my calculus homework in University every week thats for sure but to pay someone that much for a simple clutch job F that. I don't understand why people don't work on their own cars they could learn alot.

Plus I don't trust repair shops anymore after what happened to my golf.Sloppy work to crank out the car fast and charge me for hrs they didn't work on it. But I got half a refund so can't complain I guess...Wait I am complaining.

On the Tibby note are you saying the clutches don't last long or they are expensive to replace. The way I read it seems like they crap out alot guess thats the way car makers make money. Do you really use all those 4.5 hrs doing the clutch?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Clutchless shifting   Clutchless shifting Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Clutchless shifting
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Queen City Automotive :: Automotive :: General-
Jump to: