Queen City Automotive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Gas Mileage Thread

Go down 
+14
alibabu22
Torque
project_s13
Marshal
Harper
Rob
Justin
corey
veedub
laynehip
Clint Eastwood
WPK
raboyto2
CamJohns122
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Torque
Rank 2
Rank 2
Torque

Number of posts : 54
Vehicle : 2002 BMW 745i
Registration date : 2008-02-13

Gas Mileage Thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas Mileage Thread   Gas Mileage Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 12th 2008, 8:47 pm

I was getting around 17-19 mpg city/highway/bagging, and with my rims now im getting about 15-17
Back to top Go down
Marshal
Rank 9
Rank 9
Marshal

Number of posts : 2780
Vehicle : Nothing nice
Registration date : 2008-02-29

PostSubject: Re: Gas Mileage Thread   Gas Mileage Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 12th 2008, 9:22 pm

switching to high-quality plugs will not automatically give you better gas milage, your car has to be meant for it. SOHC cars run terrible with platinum plugs, and many older vehicles perfer and RUN BETTER with the cheaper copper plugs becasue the plug is positioned usually on the side of the engine, at an angle, while DOHC cars can take advantage of the platinum/iridium plug because the plug is positioned in the middle/center of the piston. And FYI: copper is one of the best conductors, they jsut don't last long.Yes, I know what I'm talking about, becasue I've wasted the money on platinum plugs for SOHC car, and it is jsut a waste. I also haven't noticed a difference in running the Bosch Platinum +4 as opposed to running the Platinum +2 or regular platinum. Just make sure that your car is tuned up, properly aligned, and drive slow and smoothly. Everytime you brake, you are converting kenetic energy into heat energy.
And please don't turn off your engine going around corners, you not only look dumb, its unsafe and a hassle. When you turn off your car, you loose your power-assisted brakes, and powersteering. If you want to safe some gas milage, take off the belt for your power-steering, and take off the fan/clutch that is on you car(if you have a RWD car) and run an electric fan. Just remember, a spade is a spade, you're not going to turn your big v8, into a gas-sipping econocar.
Back to top Go down
alibabu22
Rank 1
Rank 1

Number of posts : 19
Vehicle : 97 Ford Expedition, 96 Land Rover Discovery
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Gas Mileage Thread   Gas Mileage Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 12th 2008, 9:46 pm

lol
i get about 9 mpg on the highway and about anywhere from 1-7 in town
ahaha i need a car
Back to top Go down
Nigel
Admin
Admin
Nigel

Number of posts : 319
Vehicle : 1991 Honda Civic
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Gas Mileage Thread   Gas Mileage Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 12th 2008, 9:58 pm

you also gotta consider whether or not the money youll save on gas is outweighing the money youre spending to get this better gas milage.
Back to top Go down
corey
Admin
Admin
corey

Number of posts : 4758
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Gas Mileage Thread   Gas Mileage Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 12th 2008, 10:34 pm

alibabu22 wrote:
lol
i get about 9 mpg on the highway and about anywhere from 1-7 in town
ahaha i need a car
My gosh, now that is hurting!
Back to top Go down
CamJohns122
Rank 7
Rank 7
CamJohns122

Number of posts : 1380
Vehicle : '93 Civic Si Hatch, 91 Chevy Sprint Turbo, 85 RX7 GSL
Registration date : 2008-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Gas Mileage Thread   Gas Mileage Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 12th 2008, 10:40 pm

Yeah go sprints if i get to keep mine im definatly rebuilding it all for fuel economy
Back to top Go down
veedub
Rank 7
Rank 7
veedub

Number of posts : 1074

PostSubject: Re: Gas Mileage Thread   Gas Mileage Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 12th 2008, 11:27 pm

Layne where can I buy an MPG calculating thingy? How much would it be
Back to top Go down
project_s13
Rank 2
Rank 2

Number of posts : 94
Vehicle : 1990 240sx
Registration date : 2008-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Gas Mileage Thread   Gas Mileage Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 15th 2008, 4:11 pm

Shift_Now wrote:
switching to high-quality plugs will not automatically give you better gas milage, your car has to be meant for it. SOHC cars run terrible with platinum plugs, and many older vehicles perfer and RUN BETTER with the cheaper copper plugs becasue the plug is positioned usually on the side of the engine, at an angle, while DOHC cars can take advantage of the platinum/iridium plug because the plug is positioned in the middle/center of the piston. And FYI: copper is one of the best conductors, they jsut don't last long.Yes, I know what I'm talking about, becasue I've wasted the money on platinum plugs for SOHC car, and it is jsut a waste. I also haven't noticed a difference in running the Bosch Platinum +4 as opposed to running the Platinum +2 or regular platinum.

ah thats not entirely true. it depends on what type of combustion chamber your cylinder head has. you car's ignition system is designed using one type of plug. 90% of cars still use a coper plugs from factory unless its a shitacular ford. high compression cars tend to use a platinum or iridium plug from factory becuse they produce a larger and a hotter spark. more compression you have or high temp engine is the more volts it takes to fire it. DOHC or SOHC have nothing to do with anything. its how the head and fuel system is designed. like nissans r netorious or building heads that direct fuel flow right onto the spark plug. this can create issues when someone like me converts to high compression because it causes detionation and pre-combustion since plug is hot and firing flue onto it wont help it. platinum and irium arnt a waste of money if your vehicle is justified for usuing it.

a car that came platinum should be replaced with platinum or irdium since there ignition systems arnt designed for a harder to fire copper plug. so they end up using up what they call reserve voltage. so vehicle wont run so hot at top end where the reserve is normally needed.

also platinum and iridium are better conductors there just a more scarce metal. since that irdium plugs and platinum plugs one have a tinny tip about the size of an ants dick that is actually platinum/iridium. these 2 metals are used since they provide a stronger and more direct pathway for spark, aswell as hotter and larger spark.

theres actually a lot of science behind spark plugs. like if you run lots of highway your factory spark plugs 90% of the time are in too high of heat range. where as lots of city driving plugs tend to be a heat range or 2 too cold for average bear. factory designs a plug that creates a happy medium. if no one belives me call NGK and tell them what you do with your car and ask them what type of plugs you should be running. i called them when i couldnt find a cold enough plug and he also told me why i was havving rough idle issues because of the shell type the plug was, and refered me to a completely different plug in proper heat range i was looking for. all i can say is my god what a difference...
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2594544
kkid28
Rank 4
Rank 4
kkid28

Number of posts : 379
Vehicle : 93 Bird
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Gas Mileage Thread   Gas Mileage Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 25th 2008, 10:40 pm

Holy shit that's quite a post ^ :O
Back to top Go down
Rob
Rank 9
Rank 9
Rob

Number of posts : 3105
Vehicle : Jeep XJ / 2013 Mustang 5.0
Registration date : 2008-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Gas Mileage Thread   Gas Mileage Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 2nd 2008, 1:09 am

Just recorded 39.6 mpg in the satty, all city driving.
Back to top Go down
corey
Admin
Admin
corey

PostSubject: Re: Gas Mileage Thread   Gas Mileage Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 2nd 2008, 1:40 am

Bullshit, what's fueling it, magic?
Back to top Go down
Clint Eastwood
Rank 7
Rank 7

Number of posts : 1284
Registration date : 2008-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Gas Mileage Thread   Gas Mileage Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 2nd 2008, 2:01 am

Supra wrote:
Just recorded 39.6 mpg in the satty, all city driving.

Ya i have a hard time believing this....I'm currently getting 9.7L/100km according to the onboard computer. Thats roughly 21mpg according to google.
Back to top Go down
Marshal
Rank 9
Rank 9
Marshal

Number of posts : 2780
Vehicle : Nothing nice
Registration date : 2008-02-29

PostSubject: Re: Gas Mileage Thread   Gas Mileage Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 2nd 2008, 2:21 am

normal engine>supercharged engine when it comes to fuel economy. I've seen supra drive, he drives conservativly(Read:slow). But 40MPG in the city? I dunno my friend... I guess it could happen.
Back to top Go down
veedub
Rank 7
Rank 7
veedub

Number of posts : 1074

PostSubject: Re: Gas Mileage Thread   Gas Mileage Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 2nd 2008, 2:29 am

Did you happen to stick a turbo diesel in your saturn?
Back to top Go down
raboyto2
Rank 6
Rank 6

Number of posts : 916
Vehicle : 1992 Toyota Hilux Surf
Registration date : 2008-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Gas Mileage Thread   Gas Mileage Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 2nd 2008, 10:32 am

40mpg in the city? i think you need to redo your math or post up you data some one else can do it.
Back to top Go down
Clint Eastwood
Rank 7
Rank 7

Number of posts : 1284
Registration date : 2008-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Gas Mileage Thread   Gas Mileage Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 2nd 2008, 11:48 am

Boxyisbetter wrote:
normal engine>supercharged engine when it comes to fuel economy. I've seen supra drive, he drives conservativly(Read:slow). But 40MPG in the city? I dunno my friend... I guess it could happen.

I wasn't comparing our mpg just saying I have a hard time believing he's getting 40, then stating I get around 21.

Edit: I guess it would be possible if your talking about Imperial MPG not US, US I'm getting 22.8 and Imperial 27.4. All city.

Last edited by Clint Eastwood on August 2nd 2008, 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
taylorvw
Rank 8
Rank 8
taylorvw

Number of posts : 1554
Vehicle : ce9a
Registration date : 2008-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Gas Mileage Thread   Gas Mileage Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 2nd 2008, 12:56 pm

add a turbo.. since boosting my car, with a full tank of gas i have used only 3/4 of a tank and have gone 647km to be exact. that is also with having a bit of fun.. cough cough white mustang,cam you know who im talking about Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Rob
Rank 9
Rank 9
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Gas Mileage Thread   Gas Mileage Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 2nd 2008, 9:55 pm

hmm, im calculating this off half a tank, so it could definetly be off. I will run it right to empty and re-calculate to make it more accurate.
Back to top Go down
corey
Admin
Admin
corey

PostSubject: Re: Gas Mileage Thread   Gas Mileage Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 2nd 2008, 10:03 pm

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Overview-t26262-1998-S-Series-2-Dr-SC2-Coupe.html
Your car is rated at 25mpg in city and 35mpg on the highway, I am completly baffled of how your getting +15mpg over the window sticker gas milage rating on your car when it rolls out of the factory. Those gas mileage ratings are also taken from the best possible conditions, not to mention a brand new engine not one with over 150k. I just can't wrap my head around this 40mpg... Prove me wrong.
Back to top Go down
Black
Rank 8
Rank 8
Black

Number of posts : 1526
Registration date : 2008-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Gas Mileage Thread   Gas Mileage Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 3rd 2008, 2:43 am

taylorvw wrote:
add a turbo.. since boosting my car, with a full tank of gas i have used only 3/4 of a tank and have gone 647km to be exact. that is also with having a bit of fun.. cough cough white mustang,cam you know who im talking about Rolling Eyes
lol we watched you from seven eleven, cam was like "i think that was taylor"... as he rips past a white mustang right in front of us... then, "yep thats taylor"
Back to top Go down
Rob
Rank 9
Rank 9
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Gas Mileage Thread   Gas Mileage Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 7th 2008, 5:26 pm

Ok, can anyone calculate this "the right way" to make sure its done right.. I finished off the whole tank and this is what i got

My car used 32L and i went 520kms

I found that i got 38.5 miles per gallon, but could also be wrong
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gas Mileage Thread   Gas Mileage Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gas Mileage Thread
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2