Queen City Automotive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What mods?

Go down 
+8
lu!$
Moneypits
Marshal
Rob
eden
Black
chungstachung
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
chungstachung
Rank 4
Rank 4
chungstachung

Number of posts : 310
Vehicle : Taffy White Civic Si Sedan
Registration date : 2009-09-20

What mods? Empty
PostSubject: What mods?   What mods? Icon_minitimeSeptember 20th 2009, 9:53 pm

So i got a 2003 Honda civic Sir Hatchback and i wanna spend 2000 on it. As of now i got:
Megan shorty headers
Megan test pipe
k and n short ram
(ordering) Hks Hi power Cat back..

Is there and thing i can do around the 2000$ range that should improve speed,handling,etc...
Back to top Go down
http://ungcollective.bigcartel.com/
Black
Rank 8
Rank 8
Black

Number of posts : 1526
Registration date : 2008-02-22

What mods? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What mods?   What mods? Icon_minitimeSeptember 20th 2009, 10:07 pm

You should probably look into some coilovers, or good shock, spring set-up and go for handling. If your looking for tons of power your most likely going to spend a lot more than 2 gs.
Back to top Go down
eden
Rank 2
Rank 2
eden

Number of posts : 93
Vehicle : S197
Registration date : 2008-09-27

What mods? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What mods?   What mods? Icon_minitimeSeptember 20th 2009, 10:09 pm

chungstachung wrote:
So i got a 2003 Honda civic Sir Hatchback and i wanna spend 2000 on it. As of now i got:
Megan shorty headers
Megan test pipe
k and n short ram
(ordering) Hks Hi power Cat back..

Is there and thing i can do around the 2000$ range that should improve speed,handling,etc...

is this the white one with tenzo's?
Back to top Go down
Rank 7
Rank 7

Number of posts : 1219
Registration date : 2008-02-23

What mods? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What mods?   What mods? Icon_minitimeSeptember 20th 2009, 10:17 pm

coilovers
front an rear sway bars
front and rear strut bars.

Most fun for your dollar in a car imo.
Back to top Go down
chungstachung
Rank 4
Rank 4
chungstachung

What mods? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What mods?   What mods? Icon_minitimeSeptember 20th 2009, 10:39 pm

haha no its not the white sir with the tenzos. So if i just worked on suspension how much would that run me? and i wanna drop it but im not sure how much cus right now its 4x4 status
Back to top Go down
Black
Rank 8
Rank 8
Black

What mods? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What mods?   What mods? Icon_minitimeSeptember 20th 2009, 11:06 pm

chungstachung wrote:
haha no its not the white sir with the tenzos. So if i just worked on suspension how much would that run me? and i wanna drop it but im not sure how much cus right now its 4x4 status
hmm well it depends what you go with. A good set of coilovers will most likely be over a grand. Then you can choose how high or low you want it. If you want to go all out you can get ones with dampening control where you can choose not only how low you are, but also how stiff your ride is. Then just as Bahr said get front and rear sway/strut bars.

Then you won't be a 4x4 and will probably handle pretty good. Noticably better than stock.
Back to top Go down
chungstachung
Rank 4
Rank 4
chungstachung

What mods? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What mods?   What mods? Icon_minitimeSeptember 20th 2009, 11:42 pm

thats not too bad labour would probably cost an arm and a leg tho?
Back to top Go down
Rob
Rank 9
Rank 9
Rob

Number of posts : 3105
Vehicle : Jeep XJ / 2013 Mustang 5.0
Registration date : 2008-02-11

What mods? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What mods?   What mods? Icon_minitimeSeptember 20th 2009, 11:44 pm

chungstachung wrote:
thats not too bad labour would probably cost an arm and a leg tho?

install it yourself. If you think it may be beyond your capabilities, im sure somebody here would be willing to lend a hand or a link to a write up
Back to top Go down
Marshal
Rank 9
Rank 9
Marshal

Number of posts : 2780
Vehicle : Nothing nice
Registration date : 2008-02-29

What mods? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What mods?   What mods? Icon_minitimeSeptember 21st 2009, 12:15 am

coils on a street car will make your car handle like garbage on the street. People can deny it all they want, but the reason cars have suspension is to absorb bumps and road imperfections. Cheap coils will make the car hop over intersections, and tar strips in the pavement when you start taking corners at speed.
The expensive coils tend to "reduce" these downsides, but my vote is, and will always be for lowering springs and performance shocks on a street car.
If you want to build a car for the track, most would say get coils, but I would still say springs and shocks, they will be plenty stiff.
whatever route you go, DO NOT CHEAP OUT. cheap springs or coils will get you a cheap aweful ride.

Sway-bars are a very nice supporting mod for the suspension, because it doesn't affect ride quality(you will notice a small amount), but they will really reduce body roll. I suggest getting adjustable ones.

Strut-tower bars are have no downsides, and are nicely beneficial. They have also been proven to reduce damage in significant car accidents, by reducing crumble-zones in the engine bay. This could also be a downside, as it eliminates a crumple zone. Do not buy cheap ones that are adjusted on a hinge system, becasue they will flex at the adjustment areas. I prefer SOLID bars if you can get them. they will have the least amount of flex.

If you can, get chassis braces, its neat, and looks cool from behind the car.
Back to top Go down
Black
Rank 8
Rank 8
Black

What mods? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What mods?   What mods? Icon_minitimeSeptember 21st 2009, 12:32 am

Hmm, do you drive your car all year round? A GOOD shock and spring setup wont be too much cheaper then coils. The benefit at least that makes sense to me is being able to raise your car up in the winter to avoid scraping.

Marshal is right though, you will notice coils are pretty rough
Back to top Go down
Marshal
Rank 9
Rank 9
Marshal

What mods? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What mods?   What mods? Icon_minitimeSeptember 21st 2009, 12:45 am

BLACK wrote:
Hmm, do you drive your car all year round? A GOOD shock and spring setup wont be too much cheaper then coils. The benefit at least that makes sense to me is being able to raise your car up in the winter to avoid scraping.

You can adjust ride height with springs too. Just not easily.
Cutting off "dead" coils is an accepted method of lowering a car more in several sanctioning bodies or motorsport. there are also ways of raising it too.
But it depends on the type of car, I imagine good springs and shocks for a civic can't be too much.
but sprigns for my car were $250, and shocks were over $600 with shipping. Thats expensive. But many people have commented that the ride quality in my car are very good. It would be even better with 15 inch wheels instead of 16's. I am an old man, who hates a rough ride:(

Wheel sizes also greatly effect your handling.

ultimately, it is a user preference. Do you really want a super stiff ride in the winter time? when the roads are ALOT bumpier and rougher? It probably wouldn;t be hard to swap in factory suspension if thats what it came down to.
Back to top Go down
Black
Rank 8
Rank 8
Black

What mods? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What mods?   What mods? Icon_minitimeSeptember 21st 2009, 12:48 am

Marshal. wrote:
BLACK wrote:

You can adjust ride height with springs too. Just not easily.
Cutting off "dead" coils is an accepted method of lowering a car more in several sanctioning bodies or motorsport. there are also ways of raising it too.
But it depends on the type of car, I imagine good springs and shocks for a civic can't be too much.
but sprigns for my car were $250, and shocks were over $600 with shipping. Thats expensive. But many people have commented that the ride quality in my car are very good. It would be even better with 15 inch wheels instead of 16's. I am an old man, who hates a rough ride:(

Wheel sizes also greatly effect your handling.

ultimately, it is a user preference. Do you really want a super stiff ride in the winter time? when the roads are ALOT bumpier and rougher? It probably wouldn;t be hard to swap in factory suspension if thats what it came down to.
Marshal you really hate coils don't you? lol!
Back to top Go down
Marshal
Rank 9
Rank 9
Marshal

What mods? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What mods?   What mods? Icon_minitimeSeptember 21st 2009, 12:52 am

I am just jealous that gay k-sport coils for my car are over $1500.
but really, when I set my suspension on my subaru to super stiff, it literally hops over the dips in intersetions. I can't imagine how a set of coils would be. or how they would be in winter time when you can't even take advantage of the handling.
I personally couldn't live with a suspension that stiff. And this vehicle seems like a daily driver for him, so I just try to point out all the +/-
Back to top Go down
Black
Rank 8
Rank 8
Black

What mods? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What mods?   What mods? Icon_minitimeSeptember 21st 2009, 1:10 am

Good point.

TO THE OP:

Do lots of research. Search on forums that are specific to your car and ask questions. BUT USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION first. Most of the information you could ever need is out there and if you still have questions ask!

Don't let your money burn a hole in your pocket. Decide on what your needs/wants are, and what is acceptable to you. If you don't care about a rocky ride, fine, if you don't care about having height adjustablility fine.
Back to top Go down
Moneypits
Rank 8
Rank 8

Number of posts : 1871
Registration date : 2008-12-16

What mods? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What mods?   What mods? Icon_minitimeSeptember 21st 2009, 1:39 am

Is this car used all year round? If so buy coilovers you can have the stiffness you like and also the ability to raise it in the winter etc.

spring and shock setups are alright i dont mind em but if you do that dont cheap out, best spring and shock setup out there IMO is ohlins but dunno if they produce a setup for your car.

since civics will never make tons of power and definatly not for 2k

i would put money into suspension and handling i did it to mine and it was lots of fun on the clover leafs etc
Back to top Go down
lu!$
Rank 9
Rank 9
lu!$

Number of posts : 2118
Vehicle : EJ1
Registration date : 2008-08-08

What mods? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What mods?   What mods? Icon_minitimeSeptember 21st 2009, 9:19 am

yeah suspension is the best you can do for now...
you got the right amount of money to get that done with...
you should try and race that car next year in the AutoX event or even this october 11 all day... then decide what you need
I wouldnt get front sway bar if you gonna be into AutoX as you want your rear end stiffer than your front to whip it around the corners.
If you ever need hand with installing stuff anyone from here can help you with that...
With 2k$ i wouldnt be looking for much power out of civic...
You got the whole breathing sstem which is esential, suspension is next then power...
Back to top Go down
http://www.justanotherwesite.ca
chungstachung
Rank 4
Rank 4
chungstachung

What mods? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What mods?   What mods? Icon_minitimeSeptember 21st 2009, 11:56 pm

Well originaly iwas hoping to do a few things to the car but of course with more than 2000$ just like now i got 2000 to spend...
my list to do was:
rims...16-17
sway bar and some minor bodywork
bcus im not really sure what other bolt ons would improve my speed,etc.
btw its a k20a3 engine so only 160hp and 132tq
Back to top Go down
JHMED
Rank 4
Rank 4

Number of posts : 268
Vehicle : 88 ED8
Registration date : 2009-08-13

What mods? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What mods?   What mods? Icon_minitimeSeptember 21st 2009, 11:57 pm

chungstachung wrote:
Well originaly iwas hoping to do a few things to the car but of course with more than 2000$ just like now i got 2000 to spend...
my list to do was:
rims...16-17
sway bar and some minor bodywork
bcus im not really sure what other bolt ons would improve my speed,etc.
btw its a k20a3 engine so only 160hp and 132tq

Get the type-R k20. that would be a nice swap.
Back to top Go down
Rob
Rank 9
Rank 9
Rob

Number of posts : 3105
Vehicle : Jeep XJ / 2013 Mustang 5.0
Registration date : 2008-02-11

What mods? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What mods?   What mods? Icon_minitimeSeptember 21st 2009, 11:59 pm

most bolt ons wont yield you much power, and before you know it you will spend a lot to gain very little.

Get a nice suspension/wheel setup and im sure you will be much happier.

Or boost it.
Back to top Go down
Golks
Rank 5
Rank 5
Golks

Number of posts : 582
Vehicle : '98 Honda
Registration date : 2008-03-05

What mods? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What mods?   What mods? Icon_minitimeSeptember 22nd 2009, 12:11 am

Marshal. wrote:
but really, when I set my suspension on my subaru to super stiff, it literally hops over the dips in intersetions. I can't imagine how a set of coils would be. or how they would be in winter time when you can't even take advantage of the handling.
I personally couldn't live with a suspension that stiff. And this vehicle seems like a daily driver for him, so I just try to point out all the +/-

$1500 for Ksports? For what car the beemer or the 'preza?

I'd sell you Ksports for both of your cars for way less than that. Especially the Impreza.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dodo-logic.ca
chungstachung
Rank 4
Rank 4
chungstachung

What mods? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What mods?   What mods? Icon_minitimeSeptember 22nd 2009, 12:46 am

i wanted to turbo the car next year or swap but i payed 13 for it and dont rlly want to see the resale value thrown away....
how much does a type r k20a2 cost?
Back to top Go down
JHMED
Rank 4
Rank 4

Number of posts : 268
Vehicle : 88 ED8
Registration date : 2009-08-13

What mods? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What mods?   What mods? Icon_minitimeSeptember 22nd 2009, 1:00 am

Back to top Go down
toddler
Rank 5
Rank 5
toddler

Number of posts : 546
Registration date : 2009-06-16

What mods? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What mods?   What mods? Icon_minitimeSeptember 22nd 2009, 1:15 am

wow everyone! this site has changed completely with just a thought it shutting down... that's awesome! Smile I totally agree with suspension set up it makes the car look great and feel great for the price you couldn't go wrong if it's done right. Marshal totally agree with the coil over thing don't cheap out
Back to top Go down
Marshal
Rank 9
Rank 9
Marshal

What mods? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What mods?   What mods? Icon_minitimeSeptember 22nd 2009, 3:31 am

Golks wrote:
Marshal. wrote:

I'd sell you Ksports for both of your cars for way less than that. Especially the Impreza.

on Ebay, Ksports for the BMW are $1300+over 200 to ship them. ITs the only place I've been able to find a coilover suspension for this car that doesn;t require modifying the strut assembly.
I would be all over that offer, but I am selling the BMW, so I don't want to sink any more money into it:(
thanks though!
Back to top Go down
Golks
Rank 5
Rank 5
Golks

Number of posts : 582
Vehicle : '98 Honda
Registration date : 2008-03-05

What mods? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What mods?   What mods? Icon_minitimeSeptember 22nd 2009, 7:08 am

Marshal. wrote:
Golks wrote:
Marshal. wrote:

on Ebay, Ksports for the BMW are $1300+over 200 to ship them. ITs the only place I've been able to find a coilover suspension for this car that doesn;t require modifying the strut assembly.
I would be all over that offer, but I am selling the BMW, so I don't want to sink any more money into it:(
thanks though!

FYI The beemer ones would be $1250 + tax in your hands.

And you shouldn't sell the beemer. That car is too sexy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dodo-logic.ca
Sponsored content

What mods? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What mods?   What mods? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What mods?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Queen City Automotive :: Automotive :: General-
Jump to: