Queen City Automotive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

brake rotors ?

Go down 
+4
lu!$
Marshal
JYB116
jdm_itr
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
jdm_itr
jdm_itr

Number of posts : 4480
Vehicle : 99ITR/00 Ej6
Registration date : 2008-09-05

brake rotors ? Empty
PostSubject: brake rotors ?   brake rotors ? Icon_minitimeMay 12th 2009, 2:37 am

slotted
cross drilled
cross drilled and slotted
whats the best rotors to get ?
Back to top Go down
JYB116
Rank 8
Rank 8
JYB116

Number of posts : 1788
Vehicle : Nissan skyline gtr
Registration date : 2008-05-05

brake rotors ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: brake rotors ?   brake rotors ? Icon_minitimeMay 12th 2009, 2:42 am

stock
Back to top Go down
jdm_itr
jdm_itr

brake rotors ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: brake rotors ?   brake rotors ? Icon_minitimeMay 12th 2009, 2:49 am

jyb116 wrote:
stock
Sleep
Back to top Go down
Marshal
Rank 9
Rank 9
Marshal

Number of posts : 2780
Vehicle : Nothing nice
Registration date : 2008-02-29

brake rotors ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: brake rotors ?   brake rotors ? Icon_minitimeMay 12th 2009, 6:08 am

Seriously, go for stock.
Cross-drilled are likely to crack if you abuse them
Slotted with eat up your brake pads

Slotted are best for racing, because they scrape off the old brake pad constantly to prevent glazing
Back to top Go down
lu!$
Rank 9
Rank 9
lu!$

Number of posts : 2118
Vehicle : EJ1
Registration date : 2008-08-08

brake rotors ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: brake rotors ?   brake rotors ? Icon_minitimeMay 12th 2009, 9:33 pm

im going cross drilled... never hear they crack... as long as you dont get cheppies liek the guy at minute muffler said you will be fine...
it all depends on the reasons why to change? bling bling factor or performance. if performance its not just up to the rotors but the pads and the caliper... my .02 cents
Back to top Go down
http://www.justanotherwesite.ca
Marshal
Rank 9
Rank 9
Marshal

brake rotors ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: brake rotors ?   brake rotors ? Icon_minitimeMay 12th 2009, 9:52 pm

Where did you get this information?
Crss drilling the brake rotor reduces swept surface area. Also creating stress points where there is no material. If you want that look, go for dimpled rotors.
Many performance cars have cross drilled rotors, but those rotors are purposely oversized to reduce the liklihood of cracking and stress cracks. Not good on a car with factory sized brakes. If you plan on using them purley for street and astetic reasons, go for it. I've heard/seen even Brembo cross drilled rotors stress crack that were cross drilled when taken to a race track.

Get better tires and better fluid, and chances are, you'll never use the full potential of your breaks. IF your tires lock up before you can stop, the tires are the weak points. Better fluid will reduce the liklihood of brake fade. and good pads will grip better.
Back to top Go down
locked2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2008-11-15

brake rotors ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: brake rotors ?   brake rotors ? Icon_minitimeMay 12th 2009, 10:19 pm

I have slotted and they allow the gasses to escape which helps with your braking performance, much better than stock. The surface area you loose is worth it in allowing the pads to keep constant contact with the rotor, they may wear a little bit quicker but it is te point of a good braking system for your pads to wear quicker than your rotors...
Back to top Go down
lu!$
Rank 9
Rank 9
lu!$

brake rotors ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: brake rotors ?   brake rotors ? Icon_minitimeMay 12th 2009, 10:33 pm

i was told by the minute muffler guy/owner i believe. marshall you got a really good point they make them oversize point to make them stronger, but as much as i read b4 i bought them, i never really came across with the idea that they crack. prbly if you extremely abuse htem they might, but still dont know how. Phisically whether they are small or big, it would have the same stress point across them... dunno. besides we dont really have a place were we could really abuse them like a track. i would be going hopefuly to the autoX and i beleive Kyle as well and i dont think this is an extreme environment for them. I dont have them in yet anyways but hopefuly you wont be there to say "I told you so". Im pretty sure they will be fine. you got any clips of them craking. that would really suck.
Back to top Go down
Marshal
Rank 9
Rank 9
Marshal

brake rotors ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: brake rotors ?   brake rotors ? Icon_minitimeMay 12th 2009, 10:43 pm

I've had first hand experience.
And the autox generally isn't considered "extreme" just make sure you drive down teh gravel road for a cool down after you are on the track. Trust me, They get hot, I've warped one pair not letting them cool down. And you'd be surprised how much heat is generaled in a panic or "enthusiastic" stop.
Yes I was being a little extreme and generally there shouldn't be a problem using cross drilled rotors
Back to top Go down
lu!$
Rank 9
Rank 9
lu!$

brake rotors ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: brake rotors ?   brake rotors ? Icon_minitimeMay 12th 2009, 10:58 pm

Marshal wrote:
I've had first hand experience.
And the autox generally isn't considered "extreme" just make sure you drive down teh gravel road for a cool down after you are on the track. Trust me, They get hot, I've warped one pair not letting them cool down. And you'd be surprised how much heat is generaled in a panic or "enthusiastic" stop.
Yes I was being a little extreme and generally there shouldn't be a problem using cross drilled rotors
yeah good we can agree. as per kyle once your already using the top of the line car model for a car maker next step is to go with bigger disks which means bigger calipers and so on... im sure better pads like Hawks and good fluid would improve performace, rather than getting drilled disks. i just like how the look and im sure the performance would be about the same, dont know. besides the power/brake ratio isnt that big of a deal in a stock engine with mild mods. i like to read and search ALOT before i buy things. also asking is good.
Back to top Go down
jdm_itr
jdm_itr

brake rotors ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: brake rotors ?   brake rotors ? Icon_minitimeMay 13th 2009, 3:04 am

well i read around and and nthe same stuff as marshal was saying if any aftermarket rotors go with sloted but stock is good enuff and if your gunna upgrade just go with beter calipers and good set of pads . so what im gunna do is leave ther rotors as is and i got ebc green stuff pads and im ordering steelbraided lines . and i think that should be good enuff . and if i can find cheap nsx calipers i might get them aswell . oh and how do you change your brake fluid ? ive never done before im sure its easy .
Back to top Go down
eden
Rank 2
Rank 2
eden

Number of posts : 93
Vehicle : S197
Registration date : 2008-09-27

brake rotors ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: brake rotors ?   brake rotors ? Icon_minitimeMay 13th 2009, 8:19 am

this is true. my moms srt8 charger had brembo slotted rotors, and they seem to have worn quickly, and there was quite a bit of brake dust. got them replaced with just regular stock ones, and they seem to be working awesome. the car doesn't get driven that much anyways, let alone on a track, so unless you plan on using them excessively your better off going stock.
Back to top Go down
lu!$
Rank 9
Rank 9
lu!$

brake rotors ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: brake rotors ?   brake rotors ? Icon_minitimeMay 13th 2009, 9:03 am

Prbly disconnect the lines one by one and let it all drain the add new fluid and bleed lines. Don't know, this is what it seems it my mind. Not sure if a flush is needed to completly get rid of old stuff. Won't be hard
Back to top Go down
Sleypr
Rank 4
Rank 4
Sleypr

Number of posts : 402
Vehicle : 2004 Infiniti G35x, 2000 Jeep XJ
Registration date : 2008-08-30

brake rotors ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: brake rotors ?   brake rotors ? Icon_minitimeMay 13th 2009, 10:21 am

I've run slotted and drilled. Drilled rotors lose alot of surface area so you have less pad touching metal = less friction, slotted seems to work better but unless you are track racing all the time... as Marshall said its like using a cheese grater on your pads.

Your plan to run EBC and stainless lines should give you a good bump in braking power.
Back to top Go down
lu!$
Rank 9
Rank 9
lu!$

brake rotors ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: brake rotors ?   brake rotors ? Icon_minitimeMay 13th 2009, 1:04 pm

well i guess i didnt do my research right... now i hate my disks. good thing i havent put them in yet... im selling them.
I rather upgrade pads and fluid, if this is going to give me better breaking power.
Shit another thing i buy that end up selling.
Back to top Go down
jdm_itr
jdm_itr

brake rotors ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: brake rotors ?   brake rotors ? Icon_minitimeMay 13th 2009, 1:09 pm

haha sorry
Back to top Go down
lu!$
Rank 9
Rank 9
lu!$

brake rotors ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: brake rotors ?   brake rotors ? Icon_minitimeMay 13th 2009, 1:14 pm

jdm_itr wrote:
haha sorry
hahah no rowwies bro. afterall im glad there is another honda fanatic around here. in this way i can learn from your questions and stuff...
not a big deal, i just realized that if i wanna actually semi-race this car i should put the bling factor on the side and get actual performance parts... screw the looks i wanna have fun cheers
Back to top Go down
jdm_itr
jdm_itr

brake rotors ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: brake rotors ?   brake rotors ? Icon_minitimeMay 13th 2009, 1:18 pm

thats perfect lol . i have no idea about brake fluid tho i didnt know it made a difference so i am trying to research that . was hoping marshal would figure it out for me lol guess not tho study
Back to top Go down
jdm_itr
jdm_itr

brake rotors ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: brake rotors ?   brake rotors ? Icon_minitimeMay 13th 2009, 2:12 pm

so i have been looking this shit up all day and i had no idea brake fluid was so complex . have eny of you guys upgraded fluid if what type and whats the best for street and track use
Back to top Go down
lu!$
Rank 9
Rank 9
lu!$

brake rotors ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: brake rotors ?   brake rotors ? Icon_minitimeMay 13th 2009, 2:33 pm

jdm_itr wrote:
so i have been looking this shit up all day and i had no idea brake fluid was so complex . have eny of you guys upgraded fluid if what type and whats the best for street and track use
hey bro not sure about the fluid but ill see if i can help. btw where did you get the EBC pads. i cant see them online from anywhere i wanna see whats the price difference for red and green stuff
Back to top Go down
jdm_itr
jdm_itr

brake rotors ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: brake rotors ?   brake rotors ? Icon_minitimeMay 13th 2009, 2:38 pm

talk to golks about the pads . and im sick of this lol i found out that some other guys on honda-tech are running dot 4 motul fluid and im 90% sure they have that at peavy marts for cheap . but now ive been told that stainless lines are a waist of time . i dont know what advise to take lol and i know that lots of people on the internet are not as smart as they think they are . so stainless lines worth it or should i just upgrade pads and fluid ? scratch
Back to top Go down
240sxy
Rank 9
Rank 9
240sxy

Number of posts : 3560
Registration date : 2008-02-19

brake rotors ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: brake rotors ?   brake rotors ? Icon_minitimeMay 13th 2009, 5:38 pm

stainless lines
dot4 fluid
street pads

thats all you will ever ever need.
Back to top Go down
jdm_itr
jdm_itr

brake rotors ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: brake rotors ?   brake rotors ? Icon_minitimeMay 13th 2009, 6:23 pm

240sxy wrote:
stainless lines
dot4 fluid
street pads

thats all you will ever ever need.
well im being told buy some guys on honda tech that the braided lines are bad for dd cause debris gets stuck in the braids making it wear and poking holes . so i think this is a bad idea for me cause i drive gravel
Back to top Go down
240sxy
Rank 9
Rank 9
240sxy

Number of posts : 3560
Registration date : 2008-02-19

brake rotors ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: brake rotors ?   brake rotors ? Icon_minitimeMay 13th 2009, 9:05 pm

wrap them
Back to top Go down
Marshal
Rank 9
Rank 9
Marshal

brake rotors ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: brake rotors ?   brake rotors ? Icon_minitimeMay 13th 2009, 9:49 pm

the higher quality ones have plastic wrap aroudn them
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

brake rotors ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: brake rotors ?   brake rotors ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

brake rotors ?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next