Queen City Automotive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Lowering springs or coilovers?

Go down 
+9
subbie
1eightySX
dev
240sxy
Rob
DOOLHA
Marshal
Jhall
nguyen306
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
nguyen306
Rank 4
Rank 4
nguyen306

Number of posts : 396
Vehicle : Space Craft
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Lowering springs or coilovers? Empty
PostSubject: Lowering springs or coilovers?   Lowering springs or coilovers? Icon_minitimeApril 15th 2009, 5:09 pm

Should i get lowering springs or coilovers?
Back to top Go down
Jhall
Rank 9
Rank 9
Jhall

Number of posts : 2058
Vehicle : Ruckus/91 MX5
Registration date : 2009-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Lowering springs or coilovers?   Lowering springs or coilovers? Icon_minitimeApril 15th 2009, 5:13 pm

thats a little vague lol
Back to top Go down
Marshal
Rank 9
Rank 9
Marshal

Number of posts : 2780
Vehicle : Nothing nice
Registration date : 2008-02-29

PostSubject: Re: Lowering springs or coilovers?   Lowering springs or coilovers? Icon_minitimeApril 15th 2009, 5:15 pm

for a car the is purely used on the streets(even if you say you will go to the track), definately get coils.
You will never regret it, trust me.
Plus, that shits adjustable, who doesn't like adjustability.
Back to top Go down
Jhall
Rank 9
Rank 9
Jhall

PostSubject: Re: Lowering springs or coilovers?   Lowering springs or coilovers? Icon_minitimeApril 15th 2009, 5:18 pm

i have springs and i am getting coils, its just handy to change your height at anytime.
Back to top Go down
DOOLHA
Rank 7
Rank 7
DOOLHA

Number of posts : 1053
Vehicle : schirting
Registration date : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Lowering springs or coilovers?   Lowering springs or coilovers? Icon_minitimeApril 15th 2009, 5:25 pm

ya coils, but its funny cause who really adjusts there coils all that often?
Back to top Go down
Marshal
Rank 9
Rank 9
Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Lowering springs or coilovers?   Lowering springs or coilovers? Icon_minitimeApril 15th 2009, 5:28 pm

i have race springs, and will be sticking with race springs and sport shocks.
My car still has a respecable ride, its comfortable on the highway even with low profile tires, and it handles better than most, and it doesn't jar my passengers about and the only person who complains about the ride quality is my dad.
Lets face it, your average person isn't going to adjust their ride hieght on a weekly basis.
If you find your car sits too low on springs, you can alway riase it up, I have used .25 inch spacers in the rear of my car to get it to look right becasue the back was too low. There are ways, you just have to be creative. You can always lower your car more with lowering springs buy cutting off the dead coils at the top. Don't laugh, it is approved in many sanctioning bodies of motorsports(although I am not completely sure it is legal for road use I am told). You can also remove your spring pads to get an extra little bit lower.

Seeing as how you are on a budget, go for lowering springs. You can always take them out and sell them if you don't like them, and then buy coils if you do not like them.
Back to top Go down
Jhall
Rank 9
Rank 9
Jhall

PostSubject: Re: Lowering springs or coilovers?   Lowering springs or coilovers? Icon_minitimeApril 15th 2009, 5:41 pm

marshal wrote:
i have race springs, and will be sticking with race springs and sport shocks.
My car still has a respecable ride, its comfortable on the highway even with low profile tires, and it handles better than most, and it doesn't jar my passengers about and the only person who complains about the ride quality is my dad.
Lets face it, your average person isn't going to adjust their ride hieght on a weekly basis.
If you find your car sits too low on springs, you can alway riase it up, I have used .25 inch spacers in the rear of my car to get it to look right becasue the back was too low. There are ways, you just have to be creative. You can always lower your car more with lowering springs buy cutting off the dead coils at the top. Don't laugh, it is approved in many sanctioning bodies of motorsports(although I am not completely sure it is legal for road use I am told). You can also remove your spring pads to get an extra little bit lower.

Seeing as how you are on a budget, go for lowering springs. You can always take them out and sell them if you don't like them, and then buy coils if you do not like them.

well said well said. The only reason im switching is cause i want to be able to adjust easier, as far as spring rates, im not changing so its not going to affect the handling, lol it will probably make it worse actually being that low. Go springs if your looking for good budget drivin results
Back to top Go down
Marshal
Rank 9
Rank 9
Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Lowering springs or coilovers?   Lowering springs or coilovers? Icon_minitimeApril 15th 2009, 5:43 pm

^the man speaks the truth.

If you are actually going to change springs rates every so often, then thats cool.
I hear lower is better, I just find it too difficult to deal with
Back to top Go down
Jhall
Rank 9
Rank 9
Jhall

PostSubject: Re: Lowering springs or coilovers?   Lowering springs or coilovers? Icon_minitimeApril 15th 2009, 5:57 pm

marshal wrote:
^the man speaks the truth.

If you are actually going to change springs rates every so often, then thats cool.
I hear lower is better, I just find it too difficult to deal with

well lower is better, but when your too low it can be a problem for cornering, like i remember nialls burgandy skyline, looked so sweet, but when he cornered hard the front end would bounce sometimes because it was bouncing off the bump stops... haha
Back to top Go down
nguyen306
Rank 4
Rank 4
nguyen306

Number of posts : 396
Vehicle : Space Craft
Registration date : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Lowering springs or coilovers?   Lowering springs or coilovers? Icon_minitimeApril 16th 2009, 12:22 am

would the ride be as smooth as it is now with stock shocks and stuts? or would it be stiff. and bumbpy?
Back to top Go down
Rob
Rank 9
Rank 9
Rob

Number of posts : 3105
Vehicle : Jeep XJ / 2013 Mustang 5.0
Registration date : 2008-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Lowering springs or coilovers?   Lowering springs or coilovers? Icon_minitimeApril 16th 2009, 12:26 am

lol, not even close
Back to top Go down
240sxy
Rank 9
Rank 9
240sxy

Number of posts : 3560
Registration date : 2008-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Lowering springs or coilovers?   Lowering springs or coilovers? Icon_minitimeApril 16th 2009, 1:44 am

airbags.
Back to top Go down
dev
Rank 7
Rank 7

Number of posts : 1211
Vehicle : 2009 Cobalt TC
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Lowering springs or coilovers?   Lowering springs or coilovers? Icon_minitimeApril 16th 2009, 2:36 am

240sxy wrote:
airbags.

Lol yes, I'm looking at lowering springs mainly because I don't want to buy expensive coils but would like a lower ride, I was looking at either:

Eibach Sportline 1.400 inch drop
http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/suspension.jsp?&make=Eibach&model=Sportline+Spring+Set&group=Sportline+Spring+Set&autoMake=Honda&autoModel=Civic+LX+Coupe&autoYear=2004&autoModClar=&partNum=4.5140&perfCode=A

Tein STech lowering springs
http://www.tein.com/tech_info/a22.html

or...

Tanabe Sustec DF210
3.0/5.0 Front to Rear Spring Rate
http://www.tanabe-usa.com/df210.asp?id=1
Back to top Go down
Marshal
Rank 9
Rank 9
Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Lowering springs or coilovers?   Lowering springs or coilovers? Icon_minitimeApril 16th 2009, 7:26 am

coils will make your car seem like it has concrete for suspension.
lowering springs will make your car bouncy if you use factory shocks. You might be able to get away if your car has a sport package and had sport shocks.
Get springs and shocks. not just springs.

And Dev, stay away from eibach, from my experience, they are very soft(almost as soft as factory)
Get tein or H&R.
for shocks, get Bilstein or Koni. in that order
Back to top Go down
1eightySX
Rank 9
Rank 9
1eightySX

Number of posts : 3807
Registration date : 2008-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Lowering springs or coilovers?   Lowering springs or coilovers? Icon_minitimeApril 16th 2009, 9:44 am

240sxy wrote:
airbags.

If you have the money..that is a great answer.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dodo-logic.ca
subbie
Rank 9
Rank 9

Number of posts : 4383

PostSubject: Re: Lowering springs or coilovers?   Lowering springs or coilovers? Icon_minitimeApril 16th 2009, 10:27 am

i was looking into to some STi lowering springs or possibly some tanabe springs. They are suprisingly cheap. On another note my friend just bought some Tein Flex coilovers and hates them!!! Does Tein not make a good product?
Back to top Go down
1eightySX
Rank 9
Rank 9
1eightySX

Number of posts : 3807
Registration date : 2008-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Lowering springs or coilovers?   Lowering springs or coilovers? Icon_minitimeApril 16th 2009, 10:31 am

I had Teins and they went sour and now I have K sports and they seem to be doing fine.
Back to top Go down
Golks
Rank 5
Rank 5
Golks

Number of posts : 582
Vehicle : '98 Honda
Registration date : 2008-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Lowering springs or coilovers?   Lowering springs or coilovers? Icon_minitimeApril 16th 2009, 11:36 am

If anyone wants Tanabe Stuff I am the guy to talk to. Smile

Their entry level coilovers are actually a pretty good price. You just miss out on the adjustability that some other coilovers have for around the same price.

Their springs are good and have been good for ever.

Heck all of their chassis bracing stuff is top notch as well. Not sure why it isn;t more popular over here.

I don't to Tein, mainly because none of my suppliers carry it. Unless you buy their top of the line product, you are over paying for the product you are receiving. Tein is successfull in North America because of their unrelentless marketing. In Japan is mostly an entry level off shore made product.
Back to top Go down
Marshal
Rank 9
Rank 9
Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Lowering springs or coilovers?   Lowering springs or coilovers? Icon_minitimeApril 16th 2009, 1:06 pm

Golks wrote:

Their entry level coilovers are actually a pretty good price. You just miss out on the adjustability that some other coilovers have for around the same price.

Heck all of their chassis bracing stuff is top notch as well. Not sure why it isn;t more popular over here.

I don't to Tein, mainly because none of my suppliers carry it. Unless you buy their top of the line product, you are over paying for the product you are receiving. Tein is successfull in North America because of their unrelentless marketing. In Japan is mostly an entry level off shore made product.

chassis bracing is the shit. I wish more people did it, i think it looks so cool
Back to top Go down
dev
Rank 7
Rank 7

Number of posts : 1211
Vehicle : 2009 Cobalt TC

PostSubject: Re: Lowering springs or coilovers?   Lowering springs or coilovers? Icon_minitimeApril 16th 2009, 2:16 pm

Golks wrote:

I'd be interested in doing Tanabe lowering springs for my civic if you could get them for a good price. Smile
Back to top Go down
Moneypits
Rank 8
Rank 8

Number of posts : 1871
Registration date : 2008-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Lowering springs or coilovers?   Lowering springs or coilovers? Icon_minitimeApril 16th 2009, 3:01 pm

chassis bracing is what im all about

might throw a c pillar bar in my car to
Back to top Go down
subbie
Rank 9
Rank 9

Number of posts : 4383

PostSubject: Re: Lowering springs or coilovers?   Lowering springs or coilovers? Icon_minitimeApril 16th 2009, 3:27 pm

dev you just love the Evo's hey? lol
Back to top Go down
Marshal
Rank 9
Rank 9
Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Lowering springs or coilovers?   Lowering springs or coilovers? Icon_minitimeApril 16th 2009, 4:52 pm

Moneypits wrote:
chassis bracing is what im all about

might throw a c pillar bar in my car to

I think he weas refering to the way better kind that litters the underside of the chassis that no one sees.
I wish i had some available

Good job on a c pillar brace.
throw in a half cage!
Back to top Go down
Moneypits
Rank 8
Rank 8

Number of posts : 1871
Registration date : 2008-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Lowering springs or coilovers?   Lowering springs or coilovers? Icon_minitimeApril 16th 2009, 4:57 pm

no i know i got a traction bar h brace coming soon and some lower tie bars etc.

hopefully
Back to top Go down
Marshal
Rank 9
Rank 9
Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Lowering springs or coilovers?   Lowering springs or coilovers? Icon_minitimeApril 16th 2009, 5:19 pm

Moneypits wrote:
no i know i got a traction bar h brace coming soon and some lower tie bars etc.

hopefully
And you keep saying you aren't made of money..
You sly dog
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lowering springs or coilovers?   Lowering springs or coilovers? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lowering springs or coilovers?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next