Queen City Automotive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Gas Mileage Thread

Go down 
+14
alibabu22
Torque
project_s13
Marshal
Harper
Rob
Justin
corey
veedub
laynehip
Clint Eastwood
WPK
raboyto2
CamJohns122
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
CamJohns122
Rank 7
Rank 7
CamJohns122

Number of posts : 1380
Vehicle : '93 Civic Si Hatch, 91 Chevy Sprint Turbo, 85 RX7 GSL
Registration date : 2008-02-19

Gas Mileage Thread Empty
PostSubject: Gas Mileage Thread   Gas Mileage Thread Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2008, 11:00 pm

As per coreys request here it is. A thread to discuss fuel economy and things thatll help your gas last longer.

1.) Thinner tires that are inflated properly
2.) Slow acceleration

ill open up the floor to some others.

also anyone care to comment on gas economy additives i added some one time for kicks and i saw a little improvement possibly but had no where to tell
Back to top Go down
raboyto2
Rank 6
Rank 6

Number of posts : 916
Vehicle : 1992 Toyota Hilux Surf
Registration date : 2008-05-18

Gas Mileage Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas Mileage Thread   Gas Mileage Thread Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2008, 11:14 pm

properly inflated tires give you the best traction/thread wear. Over inflated tires give you the best gas mileage, but reduce your contact patch and make your tires wear incorrectly.

Last edited by raboyto2 on June 10th 2008, 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
CamJohns122
Rank 7
Rank 7
CamJohns122

Gas Mileage Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas Mileage Thread   Gas Mileage Thread Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2008, 11:15 pm

yeah i mostly ment dont have underinflated tires
Back to top Go down
WPK
Rank 3
Rank 3
WPK

Number of posts : 157
Vehicle : 06 Ranger
Registration date : 2008-02-17

Gas Mileage Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas Mileage Thread   Gas Mileage Thread Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2008, 11:31 pm

Drafting behind large semis and trucks, as well as getting up to speed and then turning off your engine and coasting are all good and safe ways of saving gas as well!
Back to top Go down
CamJohns122
Rank 7
Rank 7
CamJohns122

Gas Mileage Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas Mileage Thread   Gas Mileage Thread Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2008, 11:32 pm

Whitepowerkid wrote:
Drafting behind large semis and trucks, as well as getting up to speed and then turning off your engine and coasting are all good and safe ways of saving gas as well!

coasting where exactly

doesnt starting your engine alot have negative effects on battires, starters and other such items, plus doesnt it use alot of gas to start a car
Back to top Go down
Clint Eastwood
Rank 7
Rank 7

Number of posts : 1284
Registration date : 2008-02-14

Gas Mileage Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas Mileage Thread   Gas Mileage Thread Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2008, 11:47 pm

I sense some sarcasm in is tone.
Back to top Go down
laynehip
Rank 9
Rank 9
laynehip

Number of posts : 2520
Vehicle : an ibm
Registration date : 2008-02-13

Gas Mileage Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas Mileage Thread   Gas Mileage Thread Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2008, 11:49 pm

it is beneficial to turn off your car at every single red light
you know if you want some really good tips just look at some hypermiler websites and stuff
so everyone google hypermilers!!!!
Back to top Go down
veedub
Rank 7
Rank 7
veedub

Number of posts : 1074

Gas Mileage Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas Mileage Thread   Gas Mileage Thread Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2008, 11:52 pm

Don't brake for corners, instead take them quickly and reduce your loss of speed.

(its more fun anyways)
Back to top Go down
laynehip
Rank 9
Rank 9
laynehip

Gas Mileage Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas Mileage Thread   Gas Mileage Thread Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2008, 11:53 pm

Veedub wrote:
Don't brake for corners, instead take them quickly and reduce your loss of speed.

(its more fun anyways)
and get a fucking mpg gauge!!!!
oh and make your car more slippery(air wise) helps a lot
Back to top Go down
corey
Admin
Admin
corey

Number of posts : 4758
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Gas Mileage Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas Mileage Thread   Gas Mileage Thread Icon_minitimeJune 11th 2008, 12:09 am

If you are on your way to next light and its red and your rather far away just let off the gas, your engine will decline in speed and possibly by the time you reach the traffic light it will be green then you aren't coming to a complete stop nor having to accelarate from a complete stop.

Never carry around unneeded weight. Believe it or not but 200 pounds of paper does make the difference Razz
Back to top Go down
Justin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Number of posts : 363
Vehicle : 00' GSR
Registration date : 2008-02-12

Gas Mileage Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas Mileage Thread   Gas Mileage Thread Icon_minitimeJune 11th 2008, 12:15 am

corey wrote:
If you are on your way to next light and its red and your rather far away just let off the gas, your engine will decline in speed and possibly by the time you reach the traffic light it will be green then you aren't coming to a complete stop nor having to accelarate from a complete stop.

Never carry around unneeded weight. Believe it or not but 200 pounds of paper does make the difference Razz

or a fat girlfriend right bud?

just playin.
Back to top Go down
corey
Admin
Admin
corey

Gas Mileage Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas Mileage Thread   Gas Mileage Thread Icon_minitimeJune 11th 2008, 12:18 am

Justin wrote:
corey wrote:

or a fat girlfriend right bud?

just playin.
Actually, You sir are correct.
Back to top Go down
CamJohns122
Rank 7
Rank 7
CamJohns122

Gas Mileage Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas Mileage Thread   Gas Mileage Thread Icon_minitimeJune 11th 2008, 12:21 am

Ouch corey isnt that a tad mean to say about your girl good thing she isnt a member lol
Back to top Go down
laynehip
Rank 9
Rank 9
laynehip

Gas Mileage Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas Mileage Thread   Gas Mileage Thread Icon_minitimeJune 11th 2008, 1:01 am

CamJohns122 wrote:
Ouch corey isnt that a tad mean to say about your girl good thing she isnt a member lol
pfffttt corey could never get a girl!
Back to top Go down
Rob
Rank 9
Rank 9
Rob

Number of posts : 3105
Vehicle : Jeep XJ / 2013 Mustang 5.0
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Gas Mileage Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas Mileage Thread   Gas Mileage Thread Icon_minitimeJune 11th 2008, 1:12 am

laynehip wrote:
you know if you want some really good tips just look at some hypermiler websites and stuff

Starters arent cheap!
Back to top Go down
laynehip
Rank 9
Rank 9
laynehip

Gas Mileage Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas Mileage Thread   Gas Mileage Thread Icon_minitimeJune 11th 2008, 1:14 am

Supra wrote:
laynehip wrote:

Starters arent cheap!
well no but i mean if your hell bent on getting the best gas milege possible you may have to sacrifice some starters
even though that would upset the balance of the money saved from spending gas
if your hell bent on saving gas for environmental reasons i guess it would make sense
Back to top Go down
Rob
Rank 9
Rank 9
Rob

Gas Mileage Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas Mileage Thread   Gas Mileage Thread Icon_minitimeJune 11th 2008, 1:44 am

Ive heard its better to use your A/C on highway (or ring road) than having the windows open.

Maybe even in the city its beneficial, i cant remember for sure
Back to top Go down
Harper
Rank 4
Rank 4
Harper

Number of posts : 303
Vehicle : 97 Prarie Porche
Registration date : 2008-02-12

Gas Mileage Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas Mileage Thread   Gas Mileage Thread Icon_minitimeJune 11th 2008, 8:49 am

Rob your right with that one, I saw it on Myth busters I think it was. I am not sure about the city use, it wouldn't be as bad but I'm not sure it it would beat the AC or not.

and lol I don't think Corey was really calling his girlfriend fat, more like saying if she was it would reduce gas mileage but he doesn't have a girlfriend at the moment anyways.
Back to top Go down
CamJohns122
Rank 7
Rank 7
CamJohns122

Gas Mileage Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas Mileage Thread   Gas Mileage Thread Icon_minitimeJune 11th 2008, 12:31 pm

laynehip wrote:
CamJohns122 wrote:
pfffttt corey could never get a girl!

haha ok guys lets leave the poor man alone Razz
Back to top Go down
corey
Admin
Admin
corey

Gas Mileage Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas Mileage Thread   Gas Mileage Thread Icon_minitimeJune 11th 2008, 2:16 pm

Harsh, I just had a 14 hour sleep to boost myself esteem now its even lower than before Sad
Back to top Go down
raboyto2
Rank 6
Rank 6

Number of posts : 916
Vehicle : 1992 Toyota Hilux Surf
Registration date : 2008-05-18

Gas Mileage Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas Mileage Thread   Gas Mileage Thread Icon_minitimeJune 11th 2008, 11:50 pm

the mythbusters episode says : if you need to cool yourself off and want to do the cheapest way possible, open your windows in city (that wind resistance isnt as great of a factor) and use your A/C on the highway.
Back to top Go down
Rob
Rank 9
Rank 9
Rob

Gas Mileage Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas Mileage Thread   Gas Mileage Thread Icon_minitimeJune 12th 2008, 1:36 pm

What kind of MPG are you guys averaging?

My best milage ive got with my saturn is 35 mpg (city)

My average for the most part is around 23 to 25 mpg (city) but i have a heavy foot
Back to top Go down
Marshal
Rank 9
Rank 9
Marshal

Number of posts : 2780
Vehicle : Nothing nice
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Gas Mileage Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas Mileage Thread   Gas Mileage Thread Icon_minitimeJune 12th 2008, 5:58 pm

BMW:30MPG (highway/city/bagging) 320,000kms
Mercedes: I don't even want to know it, its probably that bad
Jeep: my figuring is about 20MPG(highway/city/4x4ing), but I've never done an actual test. 550 kms/70L
Back to top Go down
project_s13
Rank 2
Rank 2

Number of posts : 94
Vehicle : 1990 240sx
Registration date : 2008-03-16

Gas Mileage Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas Mileage Thread   Gas Mileage Thread Icon_minitimeJune 12th 2008, 7:12 pm

ok well most of you aparently dont know. turning your engine off and on is extremely hard on it. 1. you wear out flywheels and starter. 2. ya will wear out tuneup componets faster. 3. you can also create increase engine wear.

what most people dont know on w fuel injected car, when you turn the engine off and turn it back on it will shoot extra fuel into the engine to help it start. aswell as turning off and on you canc reat dry cylinder wall condition causeing increased wear. and foul spark plugs all the tie if your constantly flipping key on and off.

best ways to get fuel mileage:

1. clean car and smooth paint
2. get your car as low to the ground as possible, decreasing drag on the uneven undercarrige
3. use better spark plugs like iriduims etc.
4. make sure you have a properly functioning emission system and that your cat, resonators, and muffler ar in proper working order
5. replace your struts and shocks every couple of years it corrects ride hieght and engine function and decreases weight transfer side to side aswell and reduces revers body roll so when ur accelerating the work is being done moving the car not being hogged by the car rocking backward or forward.
6. do your regular vehicle maintence IE. keeping your car in top working order
7. keep up to date on alignments they can cost cruciual MPG belive it or not.
8. thinner tires do help but properly inflated tires helps
9. loose all un-needed weight like spare tire etc.
10. if you can afford it get your ECM modified with more concervative tune
11. accelerate slowly and brake is pulses dont ride them
12. exhaust upgrades like a well performing equal length header will increase scavaging effect and further increase engines ability to breathe and get exhaust gases out
13. use good fuel. octane boosters water down fuel etc are not good for fuel injection systems and create increased fuel demands
14. replace your oxygen sensors every couple of years. after a while they get sloppy and slow and PCM wont correct its fuel mixtures fast anymore costing you some MPG
15. any obstructions causing the engine to work harder to gt its fuel or air in or exhaust out more work to do its job means more fuel used.

easiest way to say it. keep it low keep it slow, keep your alignment straight, and keep your engine and exhaust systems in tip top condition
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2594544
project_s13
Rank 2
Rank 2

Number of posts : 94
Vehicle : 1990 240sx
Registration date : 2008-03-16

Gas Mileage Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas Mileage Thread   Gas Mileage Thread Icon_minitimeJune 12th 2008, 7:14 pm

oh and my swift gets 46mpg with 200lbs stereo in the back lol im gonna toss it out once and see what i get. any i havnt even started modding it for fuel economy yet Cool lol

and my 85 sprint gor 42mpg with a fucked engine that uses lots of oil.... lol time for rebuild.... god i miss being able to fill it up at 1.20 a liter for 25 bucks lol ppl always stared haha
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2594544
Sponsored content

Gas Mileage Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas Mileage Thread   Gas Mileage Thread Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gas Mileage Thread
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next