Queen City Automotive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Questions about Siast

Go down 
+6
project_s13
CamJohns122
Rob
JYB116
corey
Piett
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Piett
Rank 9
Rank 9

Number of posts : 2625
Vehicle : 03 350z
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Questions about Siast Empty
PostSubject: Questions about Siast   Questions about Siast Icon_minitimeMay 18th 2008, 6:37 pm

Okay well im thinking of being a mechanic and im looking at going to Siast. Im not to sure if anyone has any info on what classes you need to be able to do the class at Siast and how long it is. if anyone knows about this tho or has even done this class before, please tell me more about it. im really looking into doing it.
Back to top Go down
corey
Admin
Admin
corey

Number of posts : 4758
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Questions about Siast   Questions about Siast Icon_minitimeMay 18th 2008, 6:58 pm

Okay, I do know that you'll have to go too the Palliser campus located in Moose Jaw and the intial class is 6 months long.

You cannot register until you are offically in grade 12 so first week of classes send off an application ensuring a spot for you in the follow class after you graduate. If you snooze then you'll end up getting put off and won't get in till the follow year.
Back to top Go down
JYB116
Rank 8
Rank 8
JYB116

Number of posts : 1788
Vehicle : Nissan skyline gtr
Registration date : 2008-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Questions about Siast   Questions about Siast Icon_minitimeMay 18th 2008, 7:05 pm

NICE!!!! i needed to know that haha
Back to top Go down
Rob
Rank 9
Rank 9
Rob

Number of posts : 3105
Vehicle : Jeep XJ / 2013 Mustang 5.0

PostSubject: Re: Questions about Siast   Questions about Siast Icon_minitimeMay 18th 2008, 7:25 pm

If your going to be a mechanic go heavy duty, thats where the money is
Back to top Go down
CamJohns122
Rank 7
Rank 7
CamJohns122

Number of posts : 1380
Vehicle : '93 Civic Si Hatch, 91 Chevy Sprint Turbo, 85 RX7 GSL
Registration date : 2008-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Questions about Siast   Questions about Siast Icon_minitimeMay 19th 2008, 2:46 am

Just something to ponder i was gonna go into mechanics as well and everything but my dream was to graduate and open up a shop but future wise is that a good career choice? I mean like with the technology and cars their coming out with now any old mechanic shop wont have the equipment and what not also with gas and what not whats everyones opinions on how that will be in say 20 years?
Back to top Go down
corey
Admin
Admin
corey

PostSubject: Re: Questions about Siast   Questions about Siast Icon_minitimeMay 19th 2008, 12:43 pm

CamJohns122 wrote:
Just something to ponder i was gonna go into mechanics as well and everything but my dream was to graduate and open up a shop but future wise is that a good career choice? I mean like with the technology and cars their coming out with now any old mechanic shop wont have the equipment and what not also with gas and what not whats everyones opinions on how that will be in say 20 years?
That'd be a very good future goal career wise, you gotta realize there will ALWAYS be a form of transportation car wise and problems always come along with it. Therefore you will have a thriving business. Even though the technology does advance there is education that goes with the new stuff to keep your employee's up to snuff. I'd say if your deadset on this go to SIAST for the Auto Technician course, then work get your journeyperson papers. This way your out there doing it and seeing what it is all about then you will ultimaltey be able to make the decsion wether or not this is infact what you'd like to pursue farther.
Back to top Go down
project_s13
Rank 2
Rank 2

Number of posts : 94
Vehicle : 1990 240sx
Registration date : 2008-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Questions about Siast   Questions about Siast Icon_minitimeMay 19th 2008, 5:15 pm

im a mechanic by trade. your wasting your time learing by pre-empolyment course IMO. cost is about 5-8000 dollars for a one year course that leaves you with a second year ticket. all well and good but when you go to the work place your still a green tech and start off in a first years position anyway. BUT if you do like me and apprentice you go through classes much faster, you get paid while you work since your work is school. then after 1800 hours your get called for classes. your there for 2 months with pay by EI, then after you pass your tests you return to work with a upgraded ticket. your total course is 7200 hours. 1800 hours per ticket. and either way to be recognized by sask apprenticeship if your a pre-employment student you still have to complete 7200 hours to get your journeypersons ticket (red seal). so if you have to complete 7200 anyway you might aswell not put yourself hugely into the hole by doing pre-emp classes. find a shop that has good techs like mine and learn all that you can.

and if you want to open a shop your better off not knowing anything about the people you employ. take business and a pre-emp class and u'll do fine. as a shop owner you need to run the place not work in it, or you will end up loosing cash somehwere.

and your 2 choices in saskatchewan are palliser and kelsey campus. and you can send a formal request no matter where you live for a specific school. IMO palliser is better there teachers actually half ass know stuff, and have decent equiptment. BUT just and FYI engines program has been removed from the course now. since sask appreticeship has deamed no shop rebuilds anymore only replaces they say it's not a neccisary application anymore.

and if you know whats good for you stay out of mechanics all together, it's a dying business. over worked and way... way underpaid. journeymen are fighting for jobs that pay more than 25 an hour, and thats hard to find. i get my journeymens ticket next year and im quitting for something eslse.

if you want to make money go to heavy duty. they can make upwards of 40-80 dollars an hour. or body work seems to be a trend aswell since as long as we drive our own cars ad have stupid ppl driving them. shit will always get hit.

if you want to ask any other questions feel free to PM me. id be glad to answer anything u want to know.

OH and all you need to get mechanics qualifications is grade 12 englishes. that's it that's all.

project_s13
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2594544
1eightySX
Rank 9
Rank 9
1eightySX

Number of posts : 3807
Registration date : 2008-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Questions about Siast   Questions about Siast Icon_minitimeMay 19th 2008, 8:02 pm

Grade 12 english... I guess that would explain your poor punctuation and grammar! Very Happy

What project_S!3 is saying seems to be true, he has explained it to me in person and it was maybe the most depressing conversation I have ever had with him... or with anyone in a long time.

Plus once you spend all day working on cars would you really want to come home and work on your own?

Now Jason, what do you mean you are quitting? What are your new plans?
Back to top Go down
http://www.dodo-logic.ca
Harper
Rank 4
Rank 4
Harper

Number of posts : 303
Vehicle : 97 Prarie Porche
Registration date : 2008-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Questions about Siast   Questions about Siast Icon_minitimeMay 19th 2008, 8:52 pm

My brother was looking into going into this a few years ago and he asked around and not 1 person said they would do it again, just like project_s13 said
Back to top Go down
CamJohns122
Rank 7
Rank 7
CamJohns122

PostSubject: Re: Questions about Siast   Questions about Siast Icon_minitimeMay 19th 2008, 9:46 pm

They wouldnt do it because why? Like did they just not like the classes or are they like project_s13 said its a dying business etc. etc.
Back to top Go down
corey
Admin
Admin
corey

PostSubject: Re: Questions about Siast   Questions about Siast Icon_minitimeMay 19th 2008, 9:58 pm

It becomes less of a hobby and more of a chore, i can totally see why you'd not even want to turn a wrench on your own after an 8 hours shift.
Back to top Go down
CamJohns122
Rank 7
Rank 7
CamJohns122

PostSubject: Re: Questions about Siast   Questions about Siast Icon_minitimeMay 19th 2008, 10:02 pm

Yeah well i had planned to take mechanics and pursue that but the more ive thought about it and this thread only strengthens that its a dying business and is to popular to really expand and grow so im going back to the drawing board as to what i want to do
Back to top Go down
raboyto2
Rank 6
Rank 6

Number of posts : 916
Vehicle : 1992 Toyota Hilux Surf
Registration date : 2008-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Questions about Siast   Questions about Siast Icon_minitimeMay 20th 2008, 12:01 am

i love vehicles and i love working on them and have always thought about being a mechanic. I wouldnt be as good at it as jason is of course Mad (project-s13) he has that "natural" mechanical aptitude, but i pretty sure i would do fine. The problem is that i look at mechanics that have been in the business for many many years and they are grumpy old fucks. They hate their lives and make sure everyone knows it. Like jason said, mechanics are unappreciated and underpaid. You look at what lots of mechs drive and its old beater boats. They just dont care anymore and have lost all their passion for vehicles because of working on them so much. Dont get me wrong, there are lots of mechanics out their that have worked for 20+ years and still love their job, have awesome project cars and love their lives. I have decided to go into something where there is money and somewhat interesting but nothing to do with cars. I want to keep working on vehicles as a hobby/past time. I dont want to ruin it by making it my job.
Back to top Go down
Piett
Rank 9
Rank 9

Number of posts : 2625
Vehicle : 03 350z

PostSubject: Re: Questions about Siast   Questions about Siast Icon_minitimeMay 20th 2008, 12:26 am

wow this thread has sure made me want to think all over again. Kinda creepy how corey said to me on msn that why would u want to be a mechanic ..you work on cars all day and never want to do anything to yours, and then someone else said that too. Hm well i really have no idea what to do now because i want a job that i like, get good money, and dont get sick of cars. Razz

Im also back to the drawing board
Back to top Go down
laynehip
Rank 9
Rank 9
laynehip

Number of posts : 2520
Vehicle : an ibm
Registration date : 2008-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Questions about Siast   Questions about Siast Icon_minitimeMay 20th 2008, 12:28 am

someones i feel bad for people who dont have as good as an idea such as puzzledo
lawlz
Back to top Go down
1eightySX
Rank 9
Rank 9
1eightySX

Number of posts : 3807
Registration date : 2008-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Questions about Siast   Questions about Siast Icon_minitimeMay 20th 2008, 12:47 am

JP wrote:
wow this thread has sure made me want to think all over again. Kinda creepy how corey said to me on msn that why would u want to be a mechanic ..you work on cars all day and never want to do anything to yours, and then someone else said that too. Hm well i really have no idea what to do now because i want a job that i like, get good money, and dont get sick of cars. Razz

Im also back to the drawing board

Get a job that has nothing to do with cars, often the people I might that are the most enthusiastic about the auto are those who barely have anything to do with them on a day to day basis.

CARS DISTRACT ME FROM BEING A GROWN UP. (I love it)
Back to top Go down
http://www.dodo-logic.ca
project_s13
Rank 2
Rank 2

Number of posts : 94
Vehicle : 1990 240sx
Registration date : 2008-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Questions about Siast   Questions about Siast Icon_minitimeMay 20th 2008, 7:15 pm

all my plan was in this biz was to get my ticket and get out. that way i can work on my own stuff and other ppls at home or what ever and know that's done right and i dont have to question my own work. but yes shit does still happen at work or at home. and it's true i love cars to death and some days i have more go than others. if you can find a high paying tech job go for it. it's easy money if you know your stuff and can keep wor coming in the door. ie. dealerships..... eww

and not sure what im doing after to tell the trueth. i still love cars and always will im sure. but i was thinking maybe electronics engineer, or maybe move to europe for a couple years and take part of 8 year body work school. because down there they don't buy panels for cars like we do here. they hand make most of them still. so i would just be interested to see and learn an amzing craft like that. like jessy james learning copper shaping. valueable knowledge to have in any case.

also in 20 i doubt cars will be around with oil rpices and stuff and way US is scrambling for last oil reserves and what not i give it 4 years max before we run into permanent scarcity and world turns to chaos since everything we touch that was naturally there was linked with oil somehow. so i give it 2012 or so and world will be either something completely different and amzing or in chaos lmao. sad fact to face but we may not be far from WW3 over last phosil fuel resources. which is another reason wh im pondering a different career something that makes me more valueable than average bear Wink lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2594544
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Questions about Siast   Questions about Siast Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Questions about Siast
Page 1 of 1