Queen City Automotive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How to break a new engine in properly

Go down 
+11
RyanR
corey
JSharp
Moneypits
abs0Lut
doom26464
Jhall
lu!$
Black
240sxy
Zilla
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Zilla
Rank 2
Rank 2

Number of posts : 92
Vehicle : skyline
Registration date : 2009-03-22

How to break a new engine in properly Empty
PostSubject: How to break a new engine in properly   How to break a new engine in properly Icon_minitimeJanuary 27th 2010, 12:20 am

My car will be broken in by the first car meet this year, This method was also recommended by the guys who built my engine.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Last edited by Zilla on January 27th 2010, 12:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
240sxy
Rank 9
Rank 9
240sxy

Number of posts : 3560
Registration date : 2008-02-19

PostSubject: Re: How to break a new engine in properly   How to break a new engine in properly Icon_minitimeJanuary 27th 2010, 12:24 am

first meet is friday

what now. Razz
Back to top Go down
Black
Rank 8
Rank 8
Black

Number of posts : 1526
Registration date : 2008-02-22

PostSubject: Re: How to break a new engine in properly   How to break a new engine in properly Icon_minitimeJanuary 27th 2010, 12:27 am

Zilla wrote:
My car will be broken in by the first car meet this year, This method was also recommended by the guys who built my engine.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm.
links broken
Back to top Go down
lu!$
Rank 9
Rank 9
lu!$

Number of posts : 2118
Vehicle : EJ1
Registration date : 2008-08-08

PostSubject: Re: How to break a new engine in properly   How to break a new engine in properly Icon_minitimeJanuary 27th 2010, 12:45 am

Back to top Go down
http://www.justanotherwesite.ca
Zilla
Rank 2
Rank 2

Number of posts : 92
Vehicle : skyline
Registration date : 2009-03-22

PostSubject: Re: How to break a new engine in properly   How to break a new engine in properly Icon_minitimeJanuary 27th 2010, 12:47 am

i dont need to move to break it in, it will just spin in the snow
Back to top Go down
Jhall
Rank 9
Rank 9
Jhall

Number of posts : 2058
Vehicle : Ruckus/91 MX5
Registration date : 2009-04-06

PostSubject: Re: How to break a new engine in properly   How to break a new engine in properly Icon_minitimeJanuary 27th 2010, 1:01 am

thanks bobby, that is really good to know!
Back to top Go down
doom26464
Rank 4
Rank 4
doom26464

Number of posts : 411
Vehicle : MR-2 GT, Civic SiR
Registration date : 2008-08-30

PostSubject: Re: How to break a new engine in properly   How to break a new engine in properly Icon_minitimeJanuary 27th 2010, 8:47 am

Good article. Exact same way I have broken my motor in, in the past.
Back to top Go down
abs0Lut
Rank 9
Rank 9
abs0Lut

Number of posts : 2214
Vehicle : '95 EJ1
Registration date : 2009-04-13

PostSubject: Re: How to break a new engine in properly   How to break a new engine in properly Icon_minitimeJanuary 27th 2010, 1:40 pm

I am going to see what the engine god at school says about this, the guy knows every single thing you possibly could about rebuilding engines and has been in the trade for more than 3 decades. I think it would be cool to see what he has to say on this topic.
Back to top Go down
Moneypits
Rank 8
Rank 8

Number of posts : 1871
Registration date : 2008-12-16

PostSubject: Re: How to break a new engine in properly   How to break a new engine in properly Icon_minitimeJanuary 27th 2010, 1:50 pm

abs0Lut wrote:
I am going to see what the engine god at school says about this, the guy knows every single thing you possibly could about rebuilding engines and has been in the trade for more than 3 decades. I think it would be cool to see what he has to say on this topic.

Wow man he sounds super awesome i would really be interested in what he says
Back to top Go down
abs0Lut
Rank 9
Rank 9
abs0Lut

PostSubject: Re: How to break a new engine in properly   How to break a new engine in properly Icon_minitimeJanuary 27th 2010, 5:28 pm

you have no clue
Back to top Go down
JSharp
Rank 8
Rank 8
JSharp

Number of posts : 1577
Vehicle : 2002 Yamaha R1, 2003 Nissan 350z, 2005 Yamaha R6
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: How to break a new engine in properly   How to break a new engine in properly Icon_minitimeJanuary 27th 2010, 6:07 pm

abs0Lut wrote:
you have no clue

funny when clueless people make clueless remarks (DTN has another decade on your so called "GOD")
Back to top Go down
abs0Lut
Rank 9
Rank 9
abs0Lut

PostSubject: Re: How to break a new engine in properly   How to break a new engine in properly Icon_minitimeJanuary 27th 2010, 6:55 pm

im assuming DTN, since I have never even heard of the guy(?) before, is the guy in the picture on that link. He doesnt even look 40
Back to top Go down
abs0Lut
Rank 9
Rank 9
abs0Lut

PostSubject: Re: How to break a new engine in properly   How to break a new engine in properly Icon_minitimeJanuary 27th 2010, 7:01 pm

ask anyone who has went to siast palliser campus for apprentice AST and theyll know exactly who I am talking about
Back to top Go down
corey
Admin
Admin
corey

Number of posts : 4758
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: How to break a new engine in properly   How to break a new engine in properly Icon_minitimeJanuary 27th 2010, 7:17 pm

This is also what I am basing my break in on. Very good read super interesting.
Back to top Go down
RyanR
Rank 6
Rank 6
RyanR

Number of posts : 752
Vehicle : 2008 Toyota Tundra
Registration date : 2008-06-22

PostSubject: Re: How to break a new engine in properly   How to break a new engine in properly Icon_minitimeJanuary 27th 2010, 7:30 pm

abs0Lut wrote:
ask anyone who has went to siast palliser campus for apprentice AST and theyll know exactly who I am talking about

Ask Don how is vodka and cornflakes are this morning for me please.
Back to top Go down
http://www.306motorclub.com
locked2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2008-11-15

PostSubject: Re: How to break a new engine in properly   How to break a new engine in properly Icon_minitimeJanuary 27th 2010, 8:12 pm

Hah, I would also like to know how the vodka and cornflakes were.
Back to top Go down
Marshal
Rank 9
Rank 9
Marshal

Number of posts : 2780
Vehicle : Nothing nice
Registration date : 2008-02-29

PostSubject: Re: How to break a new engine in properly   How to break a new engine in properly Icon_minitimeJanuary 27th 2010, 8:37 pm

"Q: What is the second most common cause of engine problems ???
A: An easy break in !!!"

Bullshit....
Every race engine we EVER broke in was done with easy(no full throttle) laps around the racetrack, with non-synthetic oil.
There were two different schools of thought on this, both with completely logical backings to them.
We tried both, and on average consistantly got 3-4 more races out of the engines when the engien was broken in driving nicely and no full throttle. Both 2 stroke yamaha, 4 stroke rotax, 4 stroke honda, and 4 stroke ROK motors... ask any of the karters. When these one cylinder engines cost upwards of $1000 to rebuild, and have to be rebuilt every season to be competitive, getting 3-4 extra races out of them really saved money.
They all lasted longer with an easy break in, and were consistantly faster than the engines that were broken in when they were run hard. Yet some people still swear behind the "break it in like you are going to drive it" method(and in a race engine, that means hard).

And remember, these motors spent their entire lives at 15,000-19,000 RPMS, and when the clutches don't even engage unitl 5,000rpms.... super close tolerances, high-strung, yada-yada.

Break it in like your builder recommends, cause its them who's going to waranty it in the end I guess.

I stated what I know, and what my experience is... thats all. I don't want to come across as rude, nor do I wish to come across as unintelligent in my response, as I only speak from my past experience and the experience of other with highliy strung race engines.
I don't know if I would be taking information from a website that has no contact information on it, no names, ect though(we learned this in scinece class when we do report, if there is no contact infortmation, take it was a grain of salt), but thats just me.

Last edited by Marshal on January 27th 2010, 10:31 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Apparently the first post was arrogant on my behalf)
Back to top Go down
abs0Lut
Rank 9
Rank 9
abs0Lut

PostSubject: Re: How to break a new engine in properly   How to break a new engine in properly Icon_minitimeJanuary 27th 2010, 11:12 pm

locked2 wrote:

Haha! I knew there had to be atleast a couple people here who knew who I am talking about.
Back to top Go down
Rank 7
Rank 7

Number of posts : 1219
Registration date : 2008-02-23

PostSubject: Re: How to break a new engine in properly   How to break a new engine in properly Icon_minitimeJanuary 28th 2010, 12:10 am

Marshal wrote:

Bullshit....
Every race engine we EVER broke in was done with easy(no full throttle) laps around the racetrack, with non-synthetic oil.
There were two different schools of thought on this, both with completely logical backings to them.
We tried both, and on average consistantly got 3-4 more races out of the engines when the engien was broken in driving nicely and no full throttle. Both 2 stroke yamaha, 4 stroke rotax, 4 stroke honda, and 4 stroke ROK motors... ask any of the karters. When these one cylinder engines cost upwards of $1000 to rebuild, and have to be rebuilt every season to be competitive, getting 3-4 extra races out of them really saved money.
They all lasted longer with an easy break in, and were consistantly faster than the engines that were broken in when they were run hard. Yet some people still swear behind the "break it in like you are going to drive it" method(and in a race engine, that means hard).

And remember, these motors spent their entire lives at 15,000-19,000 RPMS, and when the clutches don't even engage unitl 5,000rpms.... super close tolerances, high-strung, yada-yada.

Break it in like your builder recommends, cause its them who's going to waranty it in the end I guess.

I stated what I know, and what my experience is... thats all. I don't want to come across as rude, nor do I wish to come across as unintelligent in my response, as I only speak from my past experience and the experience of other with highliy strung race engines.
I don't know if I would be taking information from a website that has no contact information on it, no names, ect though(we learned this in scinece class when we do report, if there is no contact infortmation, take it was a grain of salt), but thats just me.

paraphrase please.
Back to top Go down
corey
Admin
Admin
corey

Number of posts : 4758
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: How to break a new engine in properly   How to break a new engine in properly Icon_minitimeJanuary 28th 2010, 12:11 am

bahrx7 wrote:
Marshal wrote:

Bullshit....

paraphrase please.
x2, can't be bothered to read a novel.
Back to top Go down
RyanR
Rank 6
Rank 6
RyanR

PostSubject: Re: How to break a new engine in properly   How to break a new engine in properly Icon_minitimeJanuary 28th 2010, 12:14 am

abs0Lut wrote:
locked2 wrote:

Haha! I knew there had to be atleast a couple people here who knew who I am talking about.

What year are you currently in?
Back to top Go down
doom26464
Rank 4
Rank 4
doom26464

Number of posts : 411
Vehicle : MR-2 GT, Civic SiR
Registration date : 2008-08-30

PostSubject: Re: How to break a new engine in properly   How to break a new engine in properly Icon_minitimeJanuary 28th 2010, 1:00 pm

its always been gin and cornflakes for our group.

but then again he likes to change it up haha
Back to top Go down
abs0Lut
Rank 9
Rank 9
abs0Lut

PostSubject: Re: How to break a new engine in properly   How to break a new engine in properly Icon_minitimeJanuary 28th 2010, 7:04 pm

RyanR wrote:
abs0Lut wrote:
locked2 wrote:

Im in the pre-employment course right now, writing my 1st year final tomorrow. 4 more months till the 2nd year final.
Back to top Go down
RyanR
Rank 6
Rank 6
RyanR

PostSubject: Re: How to break a new engine in properly   How to break a new engine in properly Icon_minitimeJanuary 28th 2010, 7:18 pm

abs0Lut wrote:
RyanR wrote:
abs0Lut wrote:
locked2 wrote:

Im in the pre-employment course right now, writing my 1st year final tomorrow. 4 more months till the 2nd year final.

Ah ok. Good luck tomorrow. I found 1st year the hardest then it just keeps getting easier and easier.
Back to top Go down
abs0Lut
Rank 9
Rank 9
abs0Lut

PostSubject: Re: How to break a new engine in properly   How to break a new engine in properly Icon_minitimeJanuary 28th 2010, 8:42 pm

That's good to hear, it is a lot to take in.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to break a new engine in properly   How to break a new engine in properly Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to break a new engine in properly
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next