Queen City Automotive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

If you had to do it all over again.

Go down 
+15
Clint Eastwood
Black
L-Spec
jdm_itr
Moneypits
1eightySX
laynehip
Marshal
corey
Piett
JYB116
lu!$
Rob
Sleypr
RyanR
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
RyanR
Rank 6
Rank 6
RyanR

Number of posts : 752
Vehicle : 2008 Toyota Tundra
Registration date : 2008-06-22

If you had to do it all over again. Empty
PostSubject: If you had to do it all over again.   If you had to do it all over again. Icon_minitimeSeptember 26th 2009, 3:39 pm

What would you go back to school for or take in the first place? I'm thinking of going back to school and pursuing another career. Something preferably with A/C in the summer, heat in the winter, and a desk. What would you do?

Cliffs: I want to get out of trades and do something else. Unfortunately my ticket means nothing in the real world so I would be starting from nothing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.306motorclub.com
Sleypr
Rank 4
Rank 4
Sleypr

Number of posts : 402
Vehicle : 2004 Infiniti G35x, 2000 Jeep XJ
Registration date : 2008-08-30

PostSubject: Re: If you had to do it all over again.   If you had to do it all over again. Icon_minitimeSeptember 26th 2009, 3:41 pm

Aeronautical Engineer, I've always loved jets.
Back to top Go down
Rob
Rank 9
Rank 9
Rob

Number of posts : 3105
Vehicle : Jeep XJ / 2013 Mustang 5.0
Registration date : 2008-02-11

PostSubject: Re: If you had to do it all over again.   If you had to do it all over again. Icon_minitimeSeptember 26th 2009, 3:45 pm

pharmasist
Back to top Go down
lu!$
Rank 9
Rank 9
lu!$

Number of posts : 2118
Vehicle : EJ1
Registration date : 2008-08-08

PostSubject: Re: If you had to do it all over again.   If you had to do it all over again. Icon_minitimeSeptember 26th 2009, 3:51 pm

Sleypr wrote:
Aeronautical Engineer, I've always loved jets.
quote for truth....
One of my good buds is this and he loves the job. Works for westjet and money has never been an issue for him...
Best deals for plane tickets and it's One of those careers that you don't see around....
Back to top Go down
http://www.justanotherwesite.ca
JYB116
Rank 8
Rank 8
JYB116

Number of posts : 1788
Vehicle : Nissan skyline gtr
Registration date : 2008-05-05

PostSubject: Re: If you had to do it all over again.   If you had to do it all over again. Icon_minitimeSeptember 26th 2009, 3:59 pm

paramedic Laughing
Back to top Go down
Piett
Rank 9
Rank 9

Number of posts : 2625
Vehicle : 03 350z

PostSubject: Re: If you had to do it all over again.   If you had to do it all over again. Icon_minitimeSeptember 26th 2009, 4:34 pm

i want to be an investor.

or a entrepreneur (successful one)
Back to top Go down
corey
Admin
Admin
corey

Number of posts : 4758
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: If you had to do it all over again.   If you had to do it all over again. Icon_minitimeSeptember 26th 2009, 5:45 pm

Hmm, I really enjoy what I am doing but if I wasn't so set on carpentry id get into the regina police and be a cop.
Back to top Go down
Marshal
Rank 9
Rank 9
Marshal

Number of posts : 2780
Vehicle : Nothing nice
Registration date : 2008-02-29

PostSubject: Re: If you had to do it all over again.   If you had to do it all over again. Icon_minitimeSeptember 26th 2009, 5:59 pm

corey wrote:
id get into the regina police and be a cop.

I wanted to do taht as well..
But they usually don't take young applicants. they Prefer some type of university schooling, but I was told that They take trades experiance in the same way so a journeyperson ticket=good enough for them.
Back to top Go down
laynehip
Rank 9
Rank 9
laynehip

Number of posts : 2520
Vehicle : an ibm
Registration date : 2008-02-13

PostSubject: Re: If you had to do it all over again.   If you had to do it all over again. Icon_minitimeSeptember 26th 2009, 6:50 pm

JP wrote:
i want to be an investor.

haha thats what i am going to school for
but then i think it would be so extremely difficult
be a 24 hour a day job and to even become one i would be entering a world of competition, degration and overwhelming stress. Plus im not even really learning about anything related to it in school so i try reading so much shit out of school, and since like 90% of professional investors dont even beat the market i think there is really no chance in hell i could.
god damnit im fucked!

but anyway i plan to get my MBA
but since that will involve me being at school for many years and other things before i even begin chase my rogue trading dream i dont even have to worry.
because the world will end in 2012
or aliens will come and if they do i am sure the capital market wont even exist anymore and my trading dreams will be lost forever.
Back to top Go down
1eightySX
Rank 9
Rank 9
1eightySX

Number of posts : 3807
Registration date : 2008-03-02

PostSubject: Re: If you had to do it all over again.   If you had to do it all over again. Icon_minitimeSeptember 26th 2009, 9:30 pm

I should have taken Graphic design or web design.... I love that I have my film degree and everything I have learned, but to do what I really want will take a lot of time and dedication. Everyone can afford to hire a web designer but there isn't much use for film makers.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dodo-logic.ca
Moneypits
Rank 8
Rank 8

Number of posts : 1871
Registration date : 2008-12-16

PostSubject: Re: If you had to do it all over again.   If you had to do it all over again. Icon_minitimeSeptember 27th 2009, 1:20 am

1eightySX wrote:
I should have taken Graphic design or web design.... I love that I have my film degree and everything I have learned, but to do what I really want will take a lot of time and dedication. Everyone can afford to hire a web designer but there isn't much use for film makers.

thats what im going to take, but i think get some dead end job and get money but work towards your dream i dont believe in leaving your dream behind because whats the point of working if you dont enjoy it. I could make 30,000 a year or 150,000 a year but if i dont enjoy the job the pay dont matter
Back to top Go down
Rob
Rank 9
Rank 9
Rob

Number of posts : 3105
Vehicle : Jeep XJ / 2013 Mustang 5.0

PostSubject: Re: If you had to do it all over again.   If you had to do it all over again. Icon_minitimeSeptember 27th 2009, 1:43 am

I wish I even had an idea of what I wanted to do.
Back to top Go down
jdm_itr
jdm_itr

Number of posts : 4480
Vehicle : 99ITR/00 Ej6
Registration date : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: If you had to do it all over again.   If you had to do it all over again. Icon_minitimeSeptember 27th 2009, 1:47 am

honestly i would want to be a photographer even tho i dont have much of a nack for it i think it would be a sick job taking pics of cars and models all day dream life right there fo sho !
Back to top Go down
L-Spec
Rank 4
Rank 4
L-Spec

Number of posts : 428
Vehicle : Mazdarati
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: If you had to do it all over again.   If you had to do it all over again. Icon_minitimeSeptember 27th 2009, 1:59 am

I really wish I took psychology in high school. I find it extensively fascinating right now, but I wish I was introduced to it a lot sooner. Also, a small part of me wishes that I took a law class or two as well during high school. Other than that, I've taken all the classes I want that I find useful to me right now. The only thing I would want different in high school is me having better study habits.
Back to top Go down
Black
Rank 8
Rank 8
Black

Number of posts : 1526
Registration date : 2008-02-22

PostSubject: Re: If you had to do it all over again.   If you had to do it all over again. Icon_minitimeSeptember 27th 2009, 2:08 am

L-Spec wrote:
The only thing I would want different in high school is me having better study habits.
x eleventy billion. I'm having a rough go right now. I'm doing good in all my shit but it's fucking tough!!
Back to top Go down
1eightySX
Rank 9
Rank 9
1eightySX

PostSubject: Re: If you had to do it all over again.   If you had to do it all over again. Icon_minitimeSeptember 27th 2009, 4:21 am

Did this thread start because somebody watched 17 again?

.... I just did. Lucky don't worry everybody finds psych super interesting and lots of people do major in it and soon find that they aren't prepped for a whole lot. You pretty much have to see it all the way to the end before it works out.

Cam, it isn't the question of doing what you love for a living.... it is the issue of bridging the gap. Trust me.... do you think I took film because of the money?

P.S. Zac Effron is very charming.
Back to top Go down
RyanR
Rank 6
Rank 6
RyanR

PostSubject: Re: If you had to do it all over again.   If you had to do it all over again. Icon_minitimeSeptember 27th 2009, 10:07 am

Thread was started because I am not happy doing what I'm doing anymore. Figured I'd ask everyone to see if they made the right choice. Money is not the reason, I make great money, I'm just sick and tired of being in a bad mood all the time from this shitty job. I think I may venture into the sales side of things
Back to top Go down
Moneypits
Rank 8
Rank 8

Number of posts : 1871
Registration date : 2008-12-16

PostSubject: Re: If you had to do it all over again.   If you had to do it all over again. Icon_minitimeSeptember 27th 2009, 10:46 am

i wasnt saying anyone is working just for money im only saying my opinion is work for enjoyment not for money in the big scheme of things not necessarily directed at your situation or RyanRs.

I hate my job, i mean the pay is good, the people are awsome, and the days go by fast (which helps) but i hate how i thought i could turn a passion for cars into a job, its my hobby to kinda get away from it all and now its my job. I dont even have the energy to wash my own damn car anymore.

Although im not old and expierenced if i could go back a bit i woulda immersed myself more in highschool, tried harder and gone to ssecondary education right out of highschool. Sure i may not have owned a gtr right away then but thats something easy to deal with
Back to top Go down
L-Spec
Rank 4
Rank 4
L-Spec

Number of posts : 428
Vehicle : Mazdarati
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: If you had to do it all over again.   If you had to do it all over again. Icon_minitimeSeptember 27th 2009, 11:27 am

1eightySX wrote:

.... I just did. Lucky don't worry everybody finds psych super interesting and lots of people do major in it and soon find that they aren't prepped for a whole lot. You pretty much have to see it all the way to the end before it works out.

I have no idea what you're getting at, but psychology will always be a mere elective for me. I have never expressed enough interest to make it a major. I just find it very interesting in comparison to the other classes within my course. I just wish I was exposed to it a lot sooner.

Yes, 17 Again was a good movie.

RyanR is right, though. It's not because of the money. I'm happy I took a few years off from school. I got to travel, buy a car, and live life a bit. It gave me time to reflect on what I really wanted out of life too. It prevented me from going down an alternate path that I wouldn't be happy about and then having to switch over something else. Education = money. Lots of money, and so it's something I'd never want to do twice.

Thank you for expressing your thoughts on the subject. I would hope that people who are reading this will think more about what they want out of life. I know a lot of people straight out of high school think only about the money and then they change majors as soon as they realise it's not what they expected when they are already 3-4 years in. People should take note! When you say "I think I may venture into the sales side of things", what level were you thinking? Entry level and working your way up? Corporate level or somewhere in between? Whatever it may be, good luck on coming to a final decision on a career path. I find it to be one of the most frustrating things I have come across in life so far.
Back to top Go down
Clint Eastwood
Rank 7
Rank 7

Number of posts : 1284
Registration date : 2008-02-14

PostSubject: Re: If you had to do it all over again.   If you had to do it all over again. Icon_minitimeSeptember 27th 2009, 12:24 pm

I'm hoping that I'm doing it right the first time.
Back to top Go down
1eightySX
Rank 9
Rank 9
1eightySX

PostSubject: Re: If you had to do it all over again.   If you had to do it all over again. Icon_minitimeSeptember 27th 2009, 1:18 pm

Moneypits wrote:
i wasnt saying anyone is working just for money im only saying my opinion is work for enjoyment not for money in the big scheme of things not necessarily directed at your situation or RyanRs.

I hate my job, i mean the pay is good, the people are awsome, and the days go by fast (which helps) but i hate how i thought i could turn a passion for cars into a job, its my hobby to kinda get away from it all and now its my job. I dont even have the energy to wash my own damn car anymore.

Although im not old and expierenced if i could go back a bit i woulda immersed myself more in highschool, tried harder and gone to ssecondary education right out of highschool. Sure i may not have owned a gtr right away then but thats something easy to deal with

I get what you are saying, all I am saying is that I had that mentality about doing something that makes you happy and it is not a bad way to look at things. What I am really saying, is that it is a long hard road to get to that point where you may actually be happy.
Back to top Go down
toddler
Rank 5
Rank 5
toddler

Number of posts : 546
Registration date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: If you had to do it all over again.   If you had to do it all over again. Icon_minitimeSeptember 27th 2009, 1:21 pm

1eightySX wrote:
What I am really saying, is that it is a long hard road to get to that point where you may actually be happy.

x2 always have fun trying to get to that point, the long road should always teach you a lot and don't skip steps in getting there!
Back to top Go down
raboyto2
Rank 6
Rank 6

Number of posts : 916
Vehicle : 1992 Toyota Hilux Surf
Registration date : 2008-05-18

PostSubject: Re: If you had to do it all over again.   If you had to do it all over again. Icon_minitimeSeptember 27th 2009, 1:31 pm

i was always asked by family and friends why i didnt want to become a mechanic. my answer is always "i dont want a hobby to be ruined by a job". I deal with old mechanics all day, and i hear stories about the cars they USE to have, and now they drive old Labarons , Shadows etc that are falling apart and dont give a shit. they have no interest in cars anymore. Not what i want to become.
Back to top Go down
RyanR
Rank 6
Rank 6
RyanR

PostSubject: Re: If you had to do it all over again.   If you had to do it all over again. Icon_minitimeSeptember 27th 2009, 2:38 pm

L-Spec wrote:
1eightySX wrote:

I have no idea what you're getting at, but psychology will always be a mere elective for me. I have never expressed enough interest to make it a major. I just find it very interesting in comparison to the other classes within my course. I just wish I was exposed to it a lot sooner.

Yes, 17 Again was a good movie.

RyanR is right, though. It's not because of the money. I'm happy I took a few years off from school. I got to travel, buy a car, and live life a bit. It gave me time to reflect on what I really wanted out of life too. It prevented me from going down an alternate path that I wouldn't be happy about and then having to switch over something else. Education = money. Lots of money, and so it's something I'd never want to do twice.

Thank you for expressing your thoughts on the subject. I would hope that people who are reading this will think more about what they want out of life. I know a lot of people straight out of high school think only about the money and then they change majors as soon as they realise it's not what they expected when they are already 3-4 years in. People should take note! When you say "I think I may venture into the sales side of things", what level were you thinking? Entry level and working your way up? Corporate level or somewhere in between? Whatever it may be, good luck on coming to a final decision on a career path. I find it to be one of the most frustrating things I have come across in life so far.

very well put. I want to stay in the automotive business, just not on the shop floor. I'd love to pick up a business degree and maybe slide into a service manager type deal eventually, but for now I wouldn't mind selling cars instead of fixing them.
Back to top Go down
_....
Rank 4
Rank 4

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2008-03-16

PostSubject: Re: If you had to do it all over again.   If you had to do it all over again. Icon_minitimeSeptember 27th 2009, 7:27 pm

This is an interesting thread.  The important thing to remember is that its not the destination that counts but the journey.  Check this link out, I think its kind of fitting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERbvKrH-GC4

If I could go back I'd like to think there are a lot of things I would change then I would have less debt and would be done school.  But at the end of the day I don't regret anything I've done, because its lead me to where I am now and allowed me the chance to meet all the people I've met along the way which is the real important stuff.

Last edited by rikCmil on July 21st 2020, 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: If you had to do it all over again.   If you had to do it all over again. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

If you had to do it all over again.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Queen City Automotive :: Other :: Off Topic-
Jump to: