Queen City Automotive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Weird Issue, any insight would be appreciated.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Black
Rank 8
Rank 8
Black

Number of posts : 1526
Registration date : 2008-02-22

Weird Issue, any insight would be appreciated. Empty
PostSubject: Weird Issue, any insight would be appreciated.   Weird Issue, any insight would be appreciated. Icon_minitimeApril 22nd 2009, 11:23 pm

I noticed last fall that my car would sometimes feel like it was without power, even feel like it hit a wall at about 3000 RPM's. I drove all winter and never noticed anything, but as it has begun to warm up I've been noticing it again. I have a boost gauge and I'm still running normal boost. As i watch the tach it just slows around three and then picks up again a few seconds later. I figure it is an ignition issue because sometimes I hear a small backfire or burble in the exhaust after it has started to accelerate normal which would suggest unburnt fuel in the exhaust.

Now last summer I changed my plugs from stock ones to I beleive NGK Iridiums. (BKR7EIX) The reason was I'm running higher than stock boost, and read on vortex that it's a good idea to use plugs that are a step colder then stock. When I installed them I never gapped them. Could this possibly be my issue? Or should i look into something else. When I changed the plugs all the coil packs were good, but I'm going to check them again this weekend.
Back to top Go down
JSharp
Rank 8
Rank 8
JSharp

Number of posts : 1577
Vehicle : 2002 Yamaha R1, 2003 Nissan 350z, 2005 Yamaha R6
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Weird Issue, any insight would be appreciated.   Weird Issue, any insight would be appreciated. Icon_minitimeApril 22nd 2009, 11:36 pm

Your post just made me think of my car (not to be self centered but) I didn't gap my bocsh plugs either....... I forget what skylines are supposed to be gaped to?

Jordan was your car ever running bad on your stock plugs or did you just change them because of VWvortex? Your not running that much more boost then stock are you? (If i were you i would try stock plugs again)
Back to top Go down
Black
Rank 8
Rank 8
Black

PostSubject: Re: Weird Issue, any insight would be appreciated.   Weird Issue, any insight would be appreciated. Icon_minitimeApril 22nd 2009, 11:42 pm

Yeah I've been reading, I have no idea why i didn't gap them i just remember i didn't but im pretty sure that was stupid. I'm going to get a set of feeler gauges and do it this weekend and see if i notice a difference. If not I'm going to stick the stock ones back in and see if it fixes it.

Stock = .8 bar so like 10-12 psi

I spike at 16/17 and hold 14.

I can't remember I think it was doing it, thats why I changed them in the first place.
Back to top Go down
raboyto2
Rank 6
Rank 6

Number of posts : 916
Vehicle : 1992 Toyota Hilux Surf
Registration date : 2008-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Weird Issue, any insight would be appreciated.   Weird Issue, any insight would be appreciated. Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2009, 12:38 am

your problem will be solved by using a Rotary Oil-seal pump , it is used to obtain vacuums as low as 10x^-4 mm-Hg. connect this to your intake manifold and presto.

(clearly im joking, i have no idea how to help you)
Back to top Go down
Marshal
Rank 9
Rank 9
Marshal

Number of posts : 2780
Vehicle : Nothing nice
Registration date : 2008-02-29

PostSubject: Re: Weird Issue, any insight would be appreciated.   Weird Issue, any insight would be appreciated. Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2009, 7:27 am

i meant post it on vwvortex, not this forum haha.

Try gapping the plugs first. You will have to let me experience it first hand, as i have no idea whatelse.
Back to top Go down
Marshal
Rank 9
Rank 9
Marshal

Number of posts : 2780
Vehicle : Nothing nice
Registration date : 2008-02-29

PostSubject: Re: Weird Issue, any insight would be appreciated.   Weird Issue, any insight would be appreciated. Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2009, 7:29 am

that is the cheapest option.

I know my blazer had this problem. whenever I would step on the gas, it felt like it had no power at all, and jet felt like it was bogging all the time. So I cleaned the MAF and that helped everything, even picked up 2 more MPG. Now, I'm not sure if your car still has a MAF or what VW did there, but it couldn't hurt
Back to top Go down
duggyb
Rank 5
Rank 5
duggyb

Number of posts : 680
Vehicle : 09' Mustang GT & 94' Nissan Silvia
Registration date : 2009-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Weird Issue, any insight would be appreciated.   Weird Issue, any insight would be appreciated. Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2009, 8:56 am

raboyto2 wrote:
your problem will be solved by using a Rotary Oil-seal pump , it is used to obtain vacuums as low as 10x^-4 mm-Hg. connect this to your intake manifold and presto.

(clearly im joking, i have no idea how to help you)

haha as confusing as it was i actually believed you for a second there:P
Back to top Go down
raboyto2
Rank 6
Rank 6

Number of posts : 916
Vehicle : 1992 Toyota Hilux Surf
Registration date : 2008-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Weird Issue, any insight would be appreciated.   Weird Issue, any insight would be appreciated. Icon_minitimeApril 24th 2009, 3:55 pm

so you broke a plug trying to gap them eh? tisk tisk.
Back to top Go down
Black
Rank 8
Rank 8
Black

PostSubject: Re: Weird Issue, any insight would be appreciated.   Weird Issue, any insight would be appreciated. Icon_minitimeApril 24th 2009, 8:31 pm

raboyto2 wrote:
so you broke a plug trying to gap them eh? tisk tisk.
Not sure if this was concerning my post, but if so i haven't tried to gap them yet so unless they're fouled, none are broken.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Weird Issue, any insight would be appreciated.   Weird Issue, any insight would be appreciated. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Weird Issue, any insight would be appreciated.
Page 1 of 1