Queen City Automotive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

OCTANE BOOSTERS and your wasted money

Go down 
+16
Mick6
dev
corey
Golks
raboyto2
kkid28
dr.dub
Cody
d3v
RyanR
Fiorante
Rob
Thai-kun
greddy_1700
Marshal
JSharp
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
JSharp
Rank 8
Rank 8
JSharp

Number of posts : 1577
Vehicle : 2002 Yamaha R1, 2003 Nissan 350z, 2005 Yamaha R6
Registration date : 2008-05-19

OCTANE BOOSTERS and your wasted money Empty
PostSubject: OCTANE BOOSTERS and your wasted money   OCTANE BOOSTERS and your wasted money Icon_minitimeOctober 22nd 2008, 11:29 am

Back to top Go down
JSharp
Rank 8
Rank 8
JSharp

PostSubject: Re: OCTANE BOOSTERS and your wasted money   OCTANE BOOSTERS and your wasted money Icon_minitimeOctober 22nd 2008, 11:46 am

Do you think that this is accurate or that octane boosters only serve the purpose of stoping pre ignition but dont add HP or do add HP or do you think its all BS?????????????????????????
Back to top Go down
Marshal
Rank 9
Rank 9
Marshal

Number of posts : 2780
Vehicle : Nothing nice
Registration date : 2008-02-29

PostSubject: Re: OCTANE BOOSTERS and your wasted money   OCTANE BOOSTERS and your wasted money Icon_minitimeOctober 22nd 2008, 12:03 pm

They don't help unless you need it. Its like running 91 octance gas in your ford tempo. Its not programed to take advantage of it, so it won't. I imagine if your car had a need for higher than premium octance, these would help.. How much, I don't know
Back to top Go down
JSharp
Rank 8
Rank 8
JSharp

PostSubject: Re: OCTANE BOOSTERS and your wasted money   OCTANE BOOSTERS and your wasted money Icon_minitimeOctober 22nd 2008, 12:06 pm

yeah but they tested it on a car that would use premium
Back to top Go down
greddy_1700
Rank 5
Rank 5
greddy_1700

Number of posts : 654
Vehicle : 1991 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD
Registration date : 2008-05-14

PostSubject: Re: OCTANE BOOSTERS and your wasted money   OCTANE BOOSTERS and your wasted money Icon_minitimeOctober 22nd 2008, 1:35 pm

I didnt bother watching the video, but most octane boosters are a waste of money. They only raise the octane by one tenth of an octane point, yet claim one point. The only octane booster on the market that does anything is the NOS Reacing formula booster, which raises your octane by 3 full points, or 30 regular octane booster points.

Sorry if this isnt even relevant, i just didnt want to watch the video haha.
Back to top Go down
Thai-kun
Rank 6
Rank 6

Number of posts : 810
Vehicle : 2000 Honda S2000 [AP1]
Registration date : 2008-02-16

PostSubject: Re: OCTANE BOOSTERS and your wasted money   OCTANE BOOSTERS and your wasted money Icon_minitimeOctober 22nd 2008, 1:46 pm

greddy_1700 wrote:
I didnt bother watching the video, but most octane boosters are a waste of money. They only raise the octane by one tenth of an octane point, yet claim one point. The only octane booster on the market that does anything is the NOS Reacing formula booster, which raises your octane by 3 full points, or 30 regular octane booster points.

Sorry if this isnt even relevant, i just didnt want to watch the video haha.

According to the video, NOS Octane Booster causes a -2% power decrease Razz
Back to top Go down
Rob
Rank 9
Rank 9
Rob

Number of posts : 3105
Vehicle : Jeep XJ / 2013 Mustang 5.0
Registration date : 2008-02-11

PostSubject: Re: OCTANE BOOSTERS and your wasted money   OCTANE BOOSTERS and your wasted money Icon_minitimeOctober 22nd 2008, 5:57 pm

lol. reminds me of the time bellamy told me he had 100 or something octane in his near stock integra(not the type r).
Back to top Go down
Fiorante
Rank 7
Rank 7
Fiorante

Number of posts : 1234
Vehicle : frankenstien'd skyline
Registration date : 2008-03-04

PostSubject: Re: OCTANE BOOSTERS and your wasted money   OCTANE BOOSTERS and your wasted money Icon_minitimeOctober 22nd 2008, 6:01 pm

bellamy could have a nice car if he didnt spend all his cash on other things.
Back to top Go down
RyanR
Rank 6
Rank 6
RyanR

Number of posts : 752
Vehicle : 2008 Toyota Tundra
Registration date : 2008-06-22

PostSubject: Re: OCTANE BOOSTERS and your wasted money   OCTANE BOOSTERS and your wasted money Icon_minitimeOctober 22nd 2008, 6:02 pm

In reality octane booster will add power and torque in a car that can accommodate for it. Most cars use knock sensors to pull timing when knock is detected. Very few actually have the ability to add timing if 0 knock is found. Thats why you see some cars such as the hyundai genesis v8 make 368hp on 87 octane, and 375hp on 91 octane. Also 1 point is just that .1 10 points of octane is 1.0
Back to top Go down
http://www.306motorclub.com
d3v
Rank 4
Rank 4
d3v

Number of posts : 335
Vehicle : 1992 Honda Civic Hatch w/ h22
Registration date : 2008-03-04

PostSubject: Re: OCTANE BOOSTERS and your wasted money   OCTANE BOOSTERS and your wasted money Icon_minitimeOctober 22nd 2008, 6:19 pm

i know bigsteve was using this shit for awhile seemed to work for him lol
Back to top Go down
Cody
Rank 3
Rank 3
Cody

Number of posts : 193
Vehicle : 1981 Malibu 355sbc
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: OCTANE BOOSTERS and your wasted money   OCTANE BOOSTERS and your wasted money Icon_minitimeOctober 22nd 2008, 7:24 pm

Octane booster does shit all for power.
For non-computer contolled engines, and pretty much almost every computer controlled vehicle on the market.

Octane booster does not add power at all. (Even if you have to run higher than 91 octane, these octane boosters don't give you enough points to do anything) Just like when you put premium in your vehicle it does not give you more power.

So many people think that the higher their octane the more power they will have, tons of people think putting premium in their car will add power.
Well it doesn't.

Only reason for higher octane levels is for high-compression engines. The more octane the faster it will ignite, therefore reduces detonation.

The only way it will add power is if your vehicle is like the one that RyanR is talking about, solely based on timing settings.
Back to top Go down
RyanR
Rank 6
Rank 6
RyanR

Number of posts : 752
Vehicle : 2008 Toyota Tundra
Registration date : 2008-06-22

PostSubject: Re: OCTANE BOOSTERS and your wasted money   OCTANE BOOSTERS and your wasted money Icon_minitimeOctober 22nd 2008, 7:30 pm

Cody wrote:
For non-computer contolled engines, and pretty much almost every computer controlled vehicle on the market.

Octane booster does not add power at all. (Even if you have to run higher than 91 octane, these octane boosters don't give you enough points to do anything) Just like when you put premium in your vehicle it does not give you more power.

So many people think that the higher their octane the more power they will have, tons of people think putting premium in their car will add power.
Well it doesn't.

Only reason for higher octane levels is for high-compression engines. The more octane the slower it will ignite, therefore reduces detonation.

The only way it will add power is if your vehicle is like the one that RyanR is talking about, solely based on timing settings.

Fixed it for you, everything you said is spot on except that higher octane fuels burn at a slower rate. Which is why you can increase spark advance.
Back to top Go down
http://www.306motorclub.com
dr.dub
Rank 4
Rank 4

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2008-06-18

PostSubject: Re: OCTANE BOOSTERS and your wasted money   OCTANE BOOSTERS and your wasted money Icon_minitimeOctober 22nd 2008, 8:22 pm

i have a high octane button. i like it. makes alot more wheel spin. that is when I have high octane fuel in it.
Back to top Go down
kkid28
Rank 4
Rank 4
kkid28

Number of posts : 379
Vehicle : 93 Bird
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: OCTANE BOOSTERS and your wasted money   OCTANE BOOSTERS and your wasted money Icon_minitimeOctober 24th 2008, 6:50 pm

I run Premium sometimes cause there's no ethanol and there's more cleaners and shit in it... as far as I've heard
Back to top Go down
raboyto2
Rank 6
Rank 6

Number of posts : 916
Vehicle : 1992 Toyota Hilux Surf
Registration date : 2008-05-18

PostSubject: Re: OCTANE BOOSTERS and your wasted money   OCTANE BOOSTERS and your wasted money Icon_minitimeOctober 24th 2008, 9:54 pm

in your bird?
Back to top Go down
greddy_1700
Rank 5
Rank 5
greddy_1700

Number of posts : 654
Vehicle : 1991 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD
Registration date : 2008-05-14

PostSubject: Re: OCTANE BOOSTERS and your wasted money   OCTANE BOOSTERS and your wasted money Icon_minitimeOctober 24th 2008, 10:16 pm

kkid28 wrote:
I run Premium sometimes cause there's no ethanol and there's more cleaners and shit in it... as far as I've heard

Must..... Resist..... Urge....... Baigheassdag.....!!!!!!! So.... Many.... Insults!!!

DAMN YOU COREY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Golks
Rank 5
Rank 5
Golks

Number of posts : 582
Vehicle : '98 Honda
Registration date : 2008-03-05

PostSubject: Re: OCTANE BOOSTERS and your wasted money   OCTANE BOOSTERS and your wasted money Icon_minitimeOctober 24th 2008, 10:26 pm

Toulene.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dodo-logic.ca
corey
Admin
Admin
corey

Number of posts : 4758
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: OCTANE BOOSTERS and your wasted money   OCTANE BOOSTERS and your wasted money Icon_minitimeOctober 24th 2008, 10:56 pm

Aha, Garret. I am marking down in my note book right now how much self discipline you just showed. Scene points to follow.
Back to top Go down
dev
Rank 7
Rank 7

Number of posts : 1211
Vehicle : 2009 Cobalt TC
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: OCTANE BOOSTERS and your wasted money   OCTANE BOOSTERS and your wasted money Icon_minitimeOctober 25th 2008, 12:00 am

greddy_1700 wrote:
kkid28 wrote:

Must..... Resist..... Urge....... Baigheassdag.....!!!!!!! So.... Many.... Insults!!!

DAMN YOU COREY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol i was waiting for someone to make an attempt.
Back to top Go down
Marshal
Rank 9
Rank 9
Marshal

Number of posts : 2780
Vehicle : Nothing nice
Registration date : 2008-02-29

PostSubject: Re: OCTANE BOOSTERS and your wasted money   OCTANE BOOSTERS and your wasted money Icon_minitimeOctober 25th 2008, 1:28 am

kkid28 wrote:
remember, the more cleaners there is in your gas, the less actual gasoline you get.
Shell V-Power cleans great, but leaves a gold film on everything in the engine and this caused my 2 cyles race engines to blow sooner.
When given the chance, I onlt run CO-OP premium in my BMW,because their premium has almost no additional detergents, and it seems to keep the sensors(o2, ect) cleaners and lets the car run better. This has been coonfiremd by many mechanics/techs I know.

And your sunbird does not need premium. Its wasting it, just buy some fuel injector cleaner and throw it in every so often, cheaper.
Just a suggestion though
Back to top Go down
Mick6
Rank 1
Rank 1
Mick6

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: OCTANE BOOSTERS and your wasted money   OCTANE BOOSTERS and your wasted money Icon_minitimeOctober 25th 2008, 1:55 pm

Well Not many cars on the street have higher than 10.5:1 compression, so if your slowing the burn prossess down on a regular car you will in fact loose power.. on the otherhand if you were to add this to a high compression motor, anything over 10.75:1 you would not gain more power, but restore the lost power from the pre-ignition.. All of the ones they tested have the cosistancy of kerosene mixed with solvent as far as im conserned.. and yes both of those products will fight pre-ignition, by slowing down the burn prosses and lowering the BTU's.. I use a product called "108" (consistancy of it will burn your nose hairs off if you try and smell it) I use it in all of the dirtbikes, mixed with mohalk 92or94 and in fact you can feel a diffrence. My big bore 2-stoke bike (490cc) will honesty not run worth shit unless u use 94 and a full bottle of "108" to 10L of gas witch is NOT recomended So ya waiste of money in "most" street cars
Back to top Go down
kkid28
Rank 4
Rank 4
kkid28

Number of posts : 379
Vehicle : 93 Bird
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: OCTANE BOOSTERS and your wasted money   OCTANE BOOSTERS and your wasted money Icon_minitimeOctober 25th 2008, 2:35 pm

Marshal wrote:
kkid28 wrote:
remember, the more cleaners there is in your gas, the less actual gasoline you get.
Shell V-Power cleans great, but leaves a gold film on everything in the engine and this caused my 2 cyles race engines to blow sooner.
When given the chance, I onlt run CO-OP premium in my BMW,because their premium has almost no additional detergents, and it seems to keep the sensors(o2, ect) cleaners and lets the car run better. This has been coonfiremd by many mechanics/techs I know.

And your sunbird does not need premium. Its wasting it, just buy some fuel injector cleaner and throw it in every so often, cheaper.
Just a suggestion though

I've only run one tank of V-Power through for the sake of cleaning it up a bit.
Back to top Go down
dev
Rank 7
Rank 7

Number of posts : 1211
Vehicle : 2009 Cobalt TC
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: OCTANE BOOSTERS and your wasted money   OCTANE BOOSTERS and your wasted money Icon_minitimeOctober 25th 2008, 7:52 pm

Quote :

Serious? Damn did not know that...
Back to top Go down
Cody
Rank 3
Rank 3
Cody

Number of posts : 193
Vehicle : 1981 Malibu 355sbc
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: OCTANE BOOSTERS and your wasted money   OCTANE BOOSTERS and your wasted money Icon_minitimeOctober 25th 2008, 8:04 pm

RyanR wrote:
Cody wrote:

Well it doesn't.

Only reason for higher octane levels is for high-compression engines. The more octane the slower it will ignite, therefore reduces detonation.

Fixed it for you, everything you said is spot on except that higher octane fuels burn at a slower rate. Which is why you can increase spark advance.

Lol yeah I meant to put faster, no clue why I put slower
Back to top Go down
Couse
Rank 1
Rank 1

Number of posts : 16
Vehicle : 2000 Acura Integra RS
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: OCTANE BOOSTERS and your wasted money   OCTANE BOOSTERS and your wasted money Icon_minitimeNovember 19th 2008, 11:03 pm

For my Integra i was putting in V-power gas and octane booster:O,then i realized that im loosing horse and am better off with good old 87 octane and no octane booster. and first of all i have no clue why i was putting premium in my non-vtec integra.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OCTANE BOOSTERS and your wasted money   OCTANE BOOSTERS and your wasted money Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

OCTANE BOOSTERS and your wasted money
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next