Queen City Automotive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fiberglass

Go down 
+5
240sxy
Jason-
JYB116
Marshal
Maniac
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Maniac
Rank 4
Rank 4

Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2008-08-10

Fiberglass Empty
PostSubject: Fiberglass   Fiberglass Icon_minitimeOctober 21st 2008, 3:30 pm

Who here has done fiberglassing work and where did you get your materials from besides can-tire?
I need a fiberglass roller and some mat and maybe if they have a good deal on resin. I'm to lazy to call or go places right now.
Back to top Go down
Marshal
Rank 9
Rank 9
Marshal

Number of posts : 2780
Vehicle : Nothing nice
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Fiberglass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fiberglass   Fiberglass Icon_minitimeOctober 21st 2008, 3:57 pm

I just finished fiberglassing up the grill on my car. I really hate working with it, and I got my materials from my garage.
Princess Auto has a kit that has everything for pretty cheap(its in the hand-tool section). They also have the fiberglass mat somewhere else in that store. Other than that though, I don't know any small shops off hand that would have any.
How much materials are you looking for(are you coverign a sub box?)
Back to top Go down
JYB116
Rank 8
Rank 8
JYB116

Number of posts : 1788
Vehicle : Nissan skyline gtr
Registration date : 2008-05-05

Fiberglass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fiberglass   Fiberglass Icon_minitimeOctober 21st 2008, 4:12 pm

or go to auto electric they are good at helping out
Back to top Go down
Maniac
Rank 4
Rank 4

Fiberglass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fiberglass   Fiberglass Icon_minitimeOctober 21st 2008, 4:14 pm

ya. I need a little bass when it hits spring and still want hatch space and my spare. So I'm fiberglassing a tub to fit in my spare tire, the sub I'm looking at is a cheapy that for sealed only needs .3 so I'm good there. Might go ported and copy another guys design he's the one that gave me the idea.

I will post picks when it gets going better. Right now I hate working with it and stupid air bubbles increase my time when doing this.

Good thing about this is it will easily be removed if I decide to try autox sometime, the amp will stay in it.

Well off to Princess Auto before work. If not then Auto Electric tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Jason-
Rank 3
Rank 3
Jason-

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-02-20

Fiberglass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fiberglass   Fiberglass Icon_minitimeOctober 21st 2008, 4:38 pm

Marshal wrote:
I just finished fiberglassing up the grill on my car. I really hate working with it, and I got my materials from my garage.
Princess Auto has a kit that has everything for pretty cheap(its in the hand-tool section). They also have the fiberglass mat somewhere else in that store. Other than that though, I don't know any small shops off hand that would have any.
How much materials are you looking for(are you coverign a sub box?)

Remember when we got our plastic sheets. I sware I remember seeing rolls of fiberglass mat.
Back to top Go down
240sxy
Rank 9
Rank 9
240sxy

Number of posts : 3560
Registration date : 2008-02-19

Fiberglass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fiberglass   Fiberglass Icon_minitimeOctober 21st 2008, 5:11 pm

EP304 wrote:
ya. I need a little bass when it hits spring and still want hatch space and my spare. So I'm fiberglassing a tub to fit in my spare tire, the sub I'm looking at is a cheapy that for sealed only needs .3 so I'm good there. Might go ported and copy another guys design he's the one that gave me the idea.

I will post picks when it gets going better. Right now I hate working with it and stupid air bubbles increase my time when doing this.

Good thing about this is it will easily be removed if I decide to try autox sometime, the amp will stay in it.

Well off to Princess Auto before work. If not then Auto Electric tomorrow.

make a frame for the sub to sit on out of wood. grab some fleece, spread it over your structure and staple it down. spread on some resin and apply body filler after it dries.

ta da.

pm me if you need help.
Back to top Go down
Maniac
Rank 4
Rank 4

Fiberglass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fiberglass   Fiberglass Icon_minitimeOctober 21st 2008, 5:25 pm

I thought of that way but It is gonna be flat so I'm using mdf anyways heres what its going to look like. this is part way through

Fiberglass 100_1548

and finished without grill

Fiberglass 100_1704-1

Nothing fancy or anything crazy just a little to add to the music.
Back to top Go down
Marshal
Rank 9
Rank 9
Marshal

Fiberglass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fiberglass   Fiberglass Icon_minitimeOctober 22nd 2008, 4:51 am

good idea, and that definatley needs a grill for that sub, or your trunk/hatch becomes useless.
Back to top Go down
dr.dub
Rank 4
Rank 4

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2008-06-18

Fiberglass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fiberglass   Fiberglass Icon_minitimeOctober 22nd 2008, 8:46 am

I've done that before. very nice work. not the funest thing to work with.
Back to top Go down
Maniac
Rank 4
Rank 4

Fiberglass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fiberglass   Fiberglass Icon_minitimeOctober 22nd 2008, 11:43 am

Here is the guys all finished
Fiberglass 100_1820

Looks stock to me
Back to top Go down
corey
Admin
Admin
corey

Number of posts : 4758
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Fiberglass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fiberglass   Fiberglass Icon_minitimeOctober 22nd 2008, 6:44 pm

A++ on a super clean job!
Back to top Go down
RyanR
Rank 6
Rank 6
RyanR

Number of posts : 752
Vehicle : 2008 Toyota Tundra
Registration date : 2008-06-22

Fiberglass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fiberglass   Fiberglass Icon_minitimeOctober 22nd 2008, 7:35 pm

If you do this, build one for me too! I'l pay you for your materials and labour!
Back to top Go down
http://www.306motorclub.com
Maniac
Rank 4
Rank 4

Fiberglass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fiberglass   Fiberglass Icon_minitimeOctober 22nd 2008, 11:58 pm

RyanR wrote:
If you do this, build one for me too! I'l pay you for your materials and labour!

Well my first one sucked and I managed to rip it out from the wheel and took out my anger with a sledge hammer.

I started all over again going slow this time and I have no bubbles in my first layer so all looks good so far.

The guy used a Dayton 10HO sub.
I'm planing to try a cheap elemental sub and amp combo and hear what it sounds like.

If all turns out I will try and make another one.

I have no idea since the box will be taller the floor comes up so I can put the amp on one side, so it needs to mounted to a board with fans for cooling. How do I run the fans just from the power to the amp or what?

I will be using power pole connectors to quickly disconnect the sub if I have have to remove it also.

With the whole package deal and wiring it will be 462 plus shipping. That is the sub there.
http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?products_id=34
Back to top Go down
DOOLHA
Rank 7
Rank 7
DOOLHA

Number of posts : 1053
Vehicle : schirting
Registration date : 2008-08-28

Fiberglass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fiberglass   Fiberglass Icon_minitimeOctober 28th 2008, 10:58 pm

thats sick, wheres the amp mounted?
Back to top Go down
Marshal
Rank 9
Rank 9
Marshal

Fiberglass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fiberglass   Fiberglass Icon_minitimeOctober 28th 2008, 11:03 pm

hook the fans up to GROUND(-) and the REMOTE WIRE(+). That way they only come on when the amp is on. No drained batteries, no switches to forget to turn on or off. This is the way I did it when I mounted my amp upsidedown, and it ran cooler than it did when it was mounted "properly"
Back to top Go down
Maniac
Rank 4
Rank 4

Fiberglass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fiberglass   Fiberglass Icon_minitimeOctober 28th 2008, 11:31 pm

This will be a slow project lol. I bought the fans and shit but not the stereo stuff. I found something else I'm saving for a cybernation turbo kit from this guy he told me he is not selling for a while so hopefully I will have enough money in a few months, only 1400.00 more to go.

On the side I know a decent amount but can never figure what the trim really means, it is a 60 trim what in normal language does that mean. Is it the size of the compressor? Is it okay to assume that bigger is better in some ways. Its a turbonetics T3/T4 I do believe.
Back to top Go down
DOOLHA
Rank 7
Rank 7
DOOLHA

Number of posts : 1053
Vehicle : schirting
Registration date : 2008-08-28

Fiberglass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fiberglass   Fiberglass Icon_minitimeOctober 28th 2008, 11:49 pm

Wheel trim topic coverage

Trim is a common term used when talking about or describing turbochargers. For example, you may hear someone say "I have a GT2871R ' 56 Trim ' turbocharger. What is 'Trim?' Trim is a term to express the relationship between the inducer* and exducer* of both turbine and compressor wheels. More accurately, it is an area ratio.

* The inducer diameter is defined as the diameter where the air enters the wheel, whereas the exducer diameter is defined as the diameter where the air exits the wheel.

Based on aerodynamics and air entry paths, the inducer for a compressor wheel is the smaller diameter. For turbine wheels, the inducer it is the larger diameter (see Figure 1.)

Fiberglass Tech102_enlarged

hope that helps u outFiberglass Formula_1
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fiberglass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fiberglass   Fiberglass Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fiberglass
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Queen City Automotive :: Automotive :: Car Audio-
Jump to: