Queen City Automotive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Damn SGI....

Go down 
+6
Black
CamJohns122
L-Spec
JYB116
Thai-kun
Rob
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Rob
Rank 9
Rank 9
Rob

Number of posts : 3105
Vehicle : Jeep XJ / 2013 Mustang 5.0
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Damn SGI.... Empty
PostSubject: Damn SGI....   Damn SGI.... Icon_minitimeJune 3rd 2008, 1:08 am

Found this on another forum..

Monday May 26th, 2008 SGI introduced this policy, aimed at cleaning up the province, or limiting what we can do to the vehicles we drive.

Stating within this policy, that changing tire size to those not listed on door plaques, suspension designs, and lift/lowering a vehicle will void your insurance, and you will be enforced to put your vehicle through an inspection.

So if your vehicle lists at running a 275/65r16, and your actually running something larger, (as an example) they can technically force you to get an inspection done. This applied mostly to the limitation of max 34" tire size on raised trucks, as some of you may know, 3/4 ton + come stock with these tires already. If you change them to a larger size, SGI will NOT insure you.

In regards to vehicle height, SGI has added that you can not lift a vehicle using certain techniques, OR LOWER, as this effectively changes the braking characteristics of said vehicle, making it unsafe. Front and Rear bumper height must not be lower than 15"..

In regards to suspension, all vehicles must run shocks or bump stops on all corners of the suspension, and at no point under rest shall the vehicles body be lower than the rim.. Remember that air ride you installed, that sits the frame on the ground.. Not any more..

No one is allowed to notch the frame to lower the body further. Regardless of hows it's done..
Back to top Go down
Thai-kun
Rank 6
Rank 6

Number of posts : 810
Vehicle : 2000 Honda S2000 [AP1]
Registration date : 2008-02-16

Damn SGI.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Damn SGI....   Damn SGI.... Icon_minitimeJune 3rd 2008, 1:13 am

Man, what the hell? Screw it, I'm going for my 17's anyways. My car passed safety already, it's not going through another one...those assholes...
Back to top Go down
JYB116
Rank 8
Rank 8
JYB116

Number of posts : 1788
Vehicle : Nissan skyline gtr
Registration date : 2008-05-05

Damn SGI.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Damn SGI....   Damn SGI.... Icon_minitimeJune 3rd 2008, 1:14 am

its not on there main page soo i dunno i heard that this was tru but still......fuck em
Back to top Go down
L-Spec
Rank 4
Rank 4
L-Spec

Number of posts : 428
Vehicle : Mazdarati
Registration date : 2008-04-18

Damn SGI.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Damn SGI....   Damn SGI.... Icon_minitimeJune 3rd 2008, 2:38 am

Cleaning up the province? Sounds like fucking dictatorship. I'm not too concerned about voiding my insurance to an extent, but if they make me go through an inspection.. lol. With all these sudden laws and policies coming up regarding automotives, I'm almost ready to send our Prime Minister an "I hate this country" letter. Everything is great about Canada, but damn, they were funding a low-flying aircraft in Ontario that spotted drivers speeding and gave them a ticket.

Price of a speeding ticket: $180
Price of the air craft: $540,000 (but to staff and operate, total comes to 1.4 million a year)
Read article here.

Well, it's definitely not to profit, and having vehicles braking system become less affective is bullshit. SGI can kiss my ass. They've definitely done more harm than good to me.
Back to top Go down
CamJohns122
Rank 7
Rank 7
CamJohns122

Number of posts : 1380
Vehicle : '93 Civic Si Hatch, 91 Chevy Sprint Turbo, 85 RX7 GSL
Registration date : 2008-02-19

Damn SGI.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Damn SGI....   Damn SGI.... Icon_minitimeJune 3rd 2008, 9:41 am

WOOOOOOOOWWW Fuck SGI how would they know i got something different on my car anyways
Back to top Go down
Rob
Rank 9
Rank 9
Rob

Number of posts : 3105
Vehicle : Jeep XJ / 2013 Mustang 5.0

Damn SGI.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Damn SGI....   Damn SGI.... Icon_minitimeJune 3rd 2008, 10:09 am

Back to top Go down
Black
Rank 8
Rank 8
Black

Number of posts : 1526
Registration date : 2008-02-22

Damn SGI.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Damn SGI....   Damn SGI.... Icon_minitimeJune 3rd 2008, 12:10 pm

That just applies for all newly registered cars right? Like if you already have yours registered and its lowered they can't void your insurance?
Back to top Go down
CamJohns122
Rank 7
Rank 7
CamJohns122

Damn SGI.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Damn SGI....   Damn SGI.... Icon_minitimeJune 3rd 2008, 12:13 pm

Yeha how would that work plus they would have to notify everyone if it applied to everyone
Back to top Go down
greddy_1700
Rank 5
Rank 5
greddy_1700

Number of posts : 654
Vehicle : 1991 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD
Registration date : 2008-05-14

Damn SGI.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Damn SGI....   Damn SGI.... Icon_minitimeJune 3rd 2008, 12:18 pm

They should but they won't. SGI will make more money when someone gets in an accident and doesn't have to pay someone becuase their insurance was voided. They expect you to visit their webpage every day and check for new updates to current vehicle laws and requirements.

In reality this is not the way its going to be. They are doing this to get the crap off the roads. Meaning if your little civic is ridding around on cut springs and has an alignment as ghetto to match, i agree taking it off the road. However if you do get issued an inspection ticket and you have used quality parts, you should have nothing to worry about.

All this is going to mean now is that for the kids who like to do things half assed. (IE lower a car and not get a camber kit to correct your allignment) are now going to have to pay a little bit more money and do things properly for a change.
Back to top Go down
CamJohns122
Rank 7
Rank 7
CamJohns122

Damn SGI.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Damn SGI....   Damn SGI.... Icon_minitimeJune 3rd 2008, 12:22 pm

O really? Well they should still fuckin notify you id raise so much hell, but i got nothing to worry about everything on my car is quality parts and stuff so i should have nothing to worry about right?
Back to top Go down
L-Spec
Rank 4
Rank 4
L-Spec

Number of posts : 428
Vehicle : Mazdarati
Registration date : 2008-04-18

Damn SGI.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Damn SGI....   Damn SGI.... Icon_minitimeJune 3rd 2008, 1:02 pm

What would be the difference with eBay lower springs with a Tein sticker on them compared to authentic one? SGI is not going to know, but they are aware of counterfeit/cheap parts and for them it would be easier to list all mods as a no-go. Granted this is quite erratic, I don't see this being too far off. If SGI sees a problem, they will corrected. That's what you get with a monopolized province. Plus, SGI doesn't care who or what gets in an accident. Statistics are statistics and as of late with Saskatchewan's image looking somewhat good, which is why we have stricter driving exams/laws and the authorities are hardasses, they want to look good compared to other provinces. I can see where SGI is coming from at this point, but I still don't agree with it. They simply just don't want to deal with accidents anymore. You can't tell someone how to spend their money, but you can change their liability contracts pirat
Back to top Go down
laynehip
Rank 9
Rank 9
laynehip

Number of posts : 2520
Vehicle : an ibm
Registration date : 2008-02-13

Damn SGI.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Damn SGI....   Damn SGI.... Icon_minitimeJune 3rd 2008, 1:39 pm

"Front and Rear bumper height must not be lower than 15".."
thats pretty fucking high
Back to top Go down
Piett
Rank 9
Rank 9

Number of posts : 2625
Vehicle : 03 350z

Damn SGI.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Damn SGI....   Damn SGI.... Icon_minitimeJune 3rd 2008, 1:46 pm

laynehip wrote:
"Front and Rear bumper height must not be lower than 15".."
thats pretty fucking high

x2
Back to top Go down
greddy_1700
Rank 5
Rank 5
greddy_1700

Number of posts : 654
Vehicle : 1991 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD
Registration date : 2008-05-14

Damn SGI.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Damn SGI....   Damn SGI.... Icon_minitimeJune 3rd 2008, 3:15 pm

L-Spec wrote:
What would be the difference with eBay lower springs with a Tein sticker on them compared to authentic one? SGI is not going to know, but they are aware of counterfeit/cheap parts and for them it would be easier to list all mods as a no-go. Granted this is quite erratic, I don't see this being too far off. If SGI sees a problem, they will corrected. That's what you get with a monopolized province. Plus, SGI doesn't care who or what gets in an accident. Statistics are statistics and as of late with Saskatchewan's image looking somewhat good, which is why we have stricter driving exams/laws and the authorities are hardasses, they want to look good compared to other provinces. I can see where SGI is coming from at this point, but I still don't agree with it. They simply just don't want to deal with accidents anymore. You can't tell someone how to spend their money, but you can change their liability contracts pirat

While I don't dispute the fact that cheap ebay parts are not safe and are usually much worse than stock, I don't see SGI dipping into that just yet. For them to just outlaw mods all together will take years and have to go through stages. First thing I see happening is like i said, get issued a ticket just to make sure you arn't being a cheap ass and not installing say, for example a camber kit with your lowering springs. If your alignment is in spec then whats not safe about riding 1.5" lower?

Granted I am sure they will find something unsafe about it down the road but for now thats about the most they can do in my opinion.

Also, just so you guys realize, that 15" is from the ground to the bottom of your crash beam. Not your bumper cover.
Back to top Go down
corey
Admin
Admin
corey

Number of posts : 4758
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Damn SGI.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Damn SGI....   Damn SGI.... Icon_minitimeJune 3rd 2008, 4:54 pm

It's tricky and hard to say how far they really are going to take this, I'd be curious to hear some stories of this being implimented and see how they handle it and whether or not they will infact void claims just because the car was not in a stock state. As long as there is automobiles people are going to continue to modify them, also not being able to change rims? Really?!
Back to top Go down
corey
Admin
Admin
corey

Number of posts : 4758
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Damn SGI.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Damn SGI....   Damn SGI.... Icon_minitimeJune 3rd 2008, 5:36 pm

Okay, So I decided to give sgi a call after being transferred 3 times and put on hold for 10 minutes I finally spoke to someone who could partially explain and put my mind to ease.

So apparenlty doing modifications to automobiles has been illegal since day one, fair enough. What they intended to accomplish from this new policy is to get the hackjobs(aka cutting springs to ride lower) off the road. If you do decide to lower your car and upgrade all other components to accompany the new ride height that is perfectly fine.

Still there are regulations such as the max tire size being 34" and the 15" rule. But it isen't as bad as it first came across either way I'd rather it gone but atleast we can continue to do what we want with our vehicles.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Damn SGI.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Damn SGI....   Damn SGI.... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Damn SGI....
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Queen City Automotive :: Automotive :: General-
Jump to: