Queen City Automotive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Drifting: length and wheelbase

Go down 
+5
subbie
1eightySX
abs0Lut
Heretic
Moneypits
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Moneypits
Rank 8
Rank 8

Number of posts : 1871
Registration date : 2008-12-16

Drifting: length and wheelbase  Empty
PostSubject: Drifting: length and wheelbase    Drifting: length and wheelbase  Icon_minitimeFebruary 14th 2011, 1:55 pm

So thanks to Jesse Exner I really wanna try drifting this season. That being said I am way to much of a pussy to beat on my GTR that hard and if I hit a wall I might kill myself with self loathing.

What I wanna do is turn my 67 MG midget into a drift car, now I'm not getting into specifics on it so dont worry about it.

What I'm looking for is info on drifting and length and possibly links to short wheelbase drift cars. The car is fuckin small a foot and a half shorter then jhalls miata and a 9" shorter wheelbase as well. What kind of disadvantage will this put me at. With the right steering mods would I be able to attempt some decent drifts?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Heretic
Rank 8
Rank 8
Heretic

Number of posts : 1718
Vehicle : MKII Jetta
Registration date : 2009-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Drifting: length and wheelbase    Drifting: length and wheelbase  Icon_minitimeFebruary 14th 2011, 2:13 pm

Awesome I have a 68 Midget. Needs re-assembly mostly, but I will get there in the next few years.
Drifting: length and wheelbase  68mgmidget1

Where do you live? There is a white one right by my house, and it looks to be a MKIII, so it could be a 67?

Back to top Go down
abs0Lut
Rank 9
Rank 9
abs0Lut

Number of posts : 2214
Vehicle : '95 EJ1
Registration date : 2009-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Drifting: length and wheelbase    Drifting: length and wheelbase  Icon_minitimeFebruary 14th 2011, 3:54 pm

You have one of the most iconic drift cars in the world and you don't want to drift it? What a god damn shame!
Back to top Go down
1eightySX
Rank 9
Rank 9
1eightySX

Number of posts : 3807
Registration date : 2008-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Drifting: length and wheelbase    Drifting: length and wheelbase  Icon_minitimeFebruary 14th 2011, 3:59 pm

abs0Lut wrote:
You have one of the most iconic drift cars in the world and you don't want to drift it? What a god damn shame!

What he has a AE86, or S -Chassis!
Back to top Go down
http://www.dodo-logic.ca
Heretic
Rank 8
Rank 8
Heretic

PostSubject: Re: Drifting: length and wheelbase    Drifting: length and wheelbase  Icon_minitimeFebruary 14th 2011, 4:25 pm

1eightySX wrote:
abs0Lut wrote:

What he has a AE86, or S -Chassis!

hehehhe geek
Back to top Go down
subbie
Rank 9
Rank 9

Number of posts : 4383
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Drifting: length and wheelbase    Drifting: length and wheelbase  Icon_minitimeFebruary 14th 2011, 4:53 pm

lol cam, Paul from Alberta drives a old corolla which might be slightly bigger than the MG and basically has only done suspension and handling mods to make it drift the way it does. Benoit and Jordan know a lot about i believe?
Back to top Go down
1eightySX
Rank 9
Rank 9
1eightySX

PostSubject: Re: Drifting: length and wheelbase    Drifting: length and wheelbase  Icon_minitimeFebruary 14th 2011, 5:14 pm

djStewzy wrote:
lol cam, Paul from Alberta drives a old corolla which might be slightly bigger than the MG and basically has only done suspension and handling mods to make it drift the way it does. Benoit and Jordan know a lot about i believe?

Paul's car is DMCC spec, so it has a full cage and everything. He runs altered leaf springs in the back and custum suspension in the front. Paul modded things to fit, so he has the aftermarket steering angle kits for added angle , and I think I may have heard him say that the engine is pushed back a little further then stock for better weight distibtution. (I may just be making that up) I think his front fenders are fiber glass, and the engine is not stock but I don't remeber specifics, I just remeber it is not turbo'd. His car slays on tight parts of the track but can't really keep up in the banks.

Honestly, I think so much stuff was custom it is hard to describe.

Paul's car is pretty impresive. He is also a rad a guy. Message him and he could give you some pointers.

I assume you will encounter many of the problems he has so keep that in mind before you start and consider where the car will be driven.
Back to top Go down
c.mayer
Rank 4
Rank 4

Number of posts : 264
Vehicle : Delica, 2004 harley custom
Registration date : 2008-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Drifting: length and wheelbase    Drifting: length and wheelbase  Icon_minitimeFebruary 14th 2011, 5:32 pm

Doesnt a midget have like 63HP, and super flimsy/weak....well everything?
Back to top Go down
240sxy
Rank 9
Rank 9
240sxy

Number of posts : 3560
Registration date : 2008-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Drifting: length and wheelbase    Drifting: length and wheelbase  Icon_minitimeFebruary 14th 2011, 5:33 pm

this is about wheelbase and to answer you question in the easiest way possbile cam

your car wont be as stable and controllable as a longer wheelbase care like a soarer.

it will still do everything else another car will do, but youll have to be much quicker with the wheel and on your a-game most of the time.
Back to top Go down
Jhall
Rank 9
Rank 9
Jhall

Number of posts : 2058
Vehicle : Ruckus/91 MX5
Registration date : 2009-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Drifting: length and wheelbase    Drifting: length and wheelbase  Icon_minitimeFebruary 14th 2011, 6:26 pm

1eightySX wrote:
djStewzy wrote:

Paul's car is DMCC spec, so it has a full cage and everything. He runs altered leaf springs in the back and custum suspension in the front. Paul modded things to fit, so he has the aftermarket steering angle kits for added angle , and I think I may have heard him say that the engine is pushed back a little further then stock for better weight distibtution. (I may just be making that up) I think his front fenders are fiber glass, and the engine is not stock but I don't remeber specifics, I just remeber it is not turbo'd. His car slays on tight parts of the track but can't really keep up in the banks.

Honestly, I think so much stuff was custom it is hard to describe.

Paul's car is pretty impresive. He is also a rad a guy. Message him and he could give you some pointers.

I assume you will encounter many of the problems he has so keep that in mind before you start and consider where the car will be driven.

yes his motor is pushed back. and yes almost everything in his car he made haha
Back to top Go down
Moneypits
Rank 8
Rank 8

PostSubject: Re: Drifting: length and wheelbase    Drifting: length and wheelbase  Icon_minitimeFebruary 14th 2011, 7:55 pm

Heretic wrote:
Awesome I have a 68 Midget. Needs re-assembly mostly, but I will get there in the next few years.

Where do you live? There is a white one right by my house, and it looks to be a MKIII, so it could be a 67?

Awesome man! Have u worked on it much, And I live in the south end
Back to top Go down
Jhall
Rank 9
Rank 9
Jhall

Number of posts : 2058
Vehicle : Ruckus/91 MX5
Registration date : 2009-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Drifting: length and wheelbase    Drifting: length and wheelbase  Icon_minitimeFebruary 14th 2011, 11:26 pm

240sxy wrote:
this is about wheelbase and to answer you question in the easiest way possbile cam

your car wont be as stable and controllable as a longer wheelbase care like a soarer.

it will still do everything else another car will do, but youll have to be much quicker with the wheel and on your a-game most of the time.

the truth
Back to top Go down
Heretic
Rank 8
Rank 8
Heretic

PostSubject: Re: Drifting: length and wheelbase    Drifting: length and wheelbase  Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2011, 12:01 am

c.mayer wrote:
Doesnt a midget have like 63HP, and super flimsy/weak....well everything?

Yes and yes. This is a Midget front shock
Drifting: length and wheelbase  Shock1_300_237

Moneypits wrote:
Heretic wrote:

Awesome man! Have u worked on it much, And I live in the south end

Ahh not you then, the guy with the white one lives up in Lakewood. I haven't really touched mine in years. My flywheel had a bunch of missing teeth and I was having a hard time finding one, so I just kinda let it sit. I'll be working on it again this summer.
Back to top Go down
abs0Lut
Rank 9
Rank 9
abs0Lut

Number of posts : 2214
Vehicle : '95 EJ1
Registration date : 2009-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Drifting: length and wheelbase    Drifting: length and wheelbase  Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2011, 1:01 am

Heretic wrote:
I'll be working on it again this summer.

Hellaflush it BRO, so SICK bro!

On a more serious note, put an F20C in it.
Back to top Go down
Moneypits
Rank 8
Rank 8

PostSubject: Re: Drifting: length and wheelbase    Drifting: length and wheelbase  Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2011, 1:08 am

Ya I'd be fabricating my own suspension for sure among other things at this stage it's just a very possible dream
Back to top Go down
Heretic
Rank 8
Rank 8
Heretic

PostSubject: Re: Drifting: length and wheelbase    Drifting: length and wheelbase  Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2011, 10:08 am

abs0Lut wrote:
Heretic wrote:

Mine is going vintage racer style, Very low with no windscreen, no bumpers,a roll bar. probably with numbers on the doors and hood. But I'm thinking pale blue with white number circle.

Drifting: length and wheelbase  DerekChima-MG-Midget-BB
Drifting: length and wheelbase  Mid-ohio-vintage-grand-prix-mg-midget

Speaking of F20 swaps.
I've seen pictures of that, it would be pretty white knuckle to drive.. They feel so fast with only 60hp, just because they are so small and stiff. You peel out everywhere by accident. You're not going very fast but the sensation of speed is very much amplified. And nothing on a Midget/Sprite is really up to the task of that much power. It would have to be mostly a custom race car with modern design brakes, steering system, suspension etc. and just a Midget body. Luckily people still race Sprites and Midgets so upgraded performance parts are still available

The good news a Midget weighs around 1500lbs! It would definitely be fast!

Drifting: length and wheelbase  1679148-1
Drifting: length and wheelbase  1679148-2
Drifting: length and wheelbase  1679148-3

Drifting: length and wheelbase  VTEC-Sprite-A
Drifting: length and wheelbase  VTEC-Sprite-B
Drifting: length and wheelbase  VTEC-Sprite-C

Here's a 4AGE powered Midget. This is just an average guy with an average backyard garage, It's certainly not all very pretty. but it really shows how tight a Midget bay is and some of the problems you run into.
http://home.earthlink.net/~roethler/engine.html
(If however you wanted to go all out and tube framed from the firewall forward, you could run pretty much any engine, suspension, steering setup you wanted to, even an LS6 tongue )

Back to top Go down
corey
Admin
Admin
corey

Number of posts : 4758
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Drifting: length and wheelbase    Drifting: length and wheelbase  Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2011, 7:48 pm

abs0Lut wrote:
Heretic wrote:

ughh why do you post.
Back to top Go down
1eightySX
Rank 9
Rank 9
1eightySX

PostSubject: Re: Drifting: length and wheelbase    Drifting: length and wheelbase  Icon_minitimeFebruary 16th 2011, 3:27 pm

abs0Lut wrote:
Heretic wrote:

put an F20C in it BRO, so SICK bro!

On a more serious note,Hellaflush .

Fixed for Honda fanboy-ness equivilant.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Drifting: length and wheelbase    Drifting: length and wheelbase  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Drifting: length and wheelbase
Page 1 of 1