Queen City Automotive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

parkin car for winter

Go down 
+14
Noops
Piett
jdm_itr
lu!$
DOOLHA
taylorvw
abs0Lut
Moneypits
corey
Clint Eastwood
Jhall
Silvianow
Jex
Rob
18 posters
AuthorMessage
Rob
Rank 9
Rank 9
Rob

Number of posts : 3105
Vehicle : Jeep XJ / 2013 Mustang 5.0
Registration date : 2008-02-11

parkin car for winter Empty
PostSubject: parkin car for winter   parkin car for winter Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2009, 5:32 pm

For those of you who park your cars over winter, what do you do to prepare for it?

Im told its a good idea to fill the gas tank FULL.

Change the oil.

And put a car cover over it.

But,

Is it better to just leave it the entire winter without starting it, or start it every so often? or?

Im debating putting my car on jack stands. The tires are junk anyways so i dont care about flat spots, but is there any other reason to put the car on jack stands other than to save the tires?

My car WILL be outside. No garage to park in sadly..

Suggestions?
Back to top Go down
Jex
Rank 6
Rank 6
Jex

Number of posts : 921
Vehicle : Toaster
Registration date : 2009-04-10

PostSubject: Re: parkin car for winter   parkin car for winter Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2009, 5:38 pm

i started mine a couple times last year. sept i took out my battery and brought it inside so i could charge it with a charger inside. and my gas was not full, didnt think anything of that
Back to top Go down
Silvianow
Rank 3
Rank 3
Silvianow

Number of posts : 179
Vehicle : 92 silvia, 90 Celsior
Registration date : 2009-08-15

PostSubject: Re: parkin car for winter   parkin car for winter Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2009, 5:44 pm

Take your battary out, it will freeze, or lose the charge. If parked outside.
If in garage, take it out because your vehicle still draws small amounts of current.

If possible life the vehicle off the tires, so you dont get flat spots.

If parked outside, make sure your fluids can handle -40 (windchill doesnt effect vehicles)
Back to top Go down
Jhall
Rank 9
Rank 9
Jhall

Number of posts : 2058
Vehicle : Ruckus/91 MX5
Registration date : 2009-04-06

PostSubject: Re: parkin car for winter   parkin car for winter Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2009, 5:46 pm

I just wash it and dry it and then park it, And then I start it like 2 or 3
times during the winter, let it run until it reaches running temps and then your
good. I'm thinking about putting a cover on it this time cause dust is annouying. But ya that's all all do and it's been solid for 2 winters
Back to top Go down
Rob
Rank 9
Rank 9
Rob

PostSubject: Re: parkin car for winter   parkin car for winter Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2009, 5:48 pm

Silvianow wrote:
Take your battary out, it will freeze, or lose the charge. If parked outside.
If in garage, take it out because your vehicle still draws small amounts of current.

If possible life the vehicle off the tires, so you dont get flat spots.

If parked outside, make sure your fluids can handle -40 (windchill doesnt effect vehicles)

Good idea.. I'll definetly have to drain my washer fluid tank so it doesnt crack.
Back to top Go down
Clint Eastwood
Rank 7
Rank 7

Number of posts : 1284
Registration date : 2008-02-14

PostSubject: Re: parkin car for winter   parkin car for winter Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2009, 6:48 pm

My suggestion is to winter drive your mustang?
Back to top Go down
corey
Admin
Admin
corey

Number of posts : 4758
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: parkin car for winter   parkin car for winter Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2009, 6:49 pm

I still think Adam parking his wrx is some sort of sick joke.. I mean I really hope it is.
Back to top Go down
Moneypits
Rank 8
Rank 8

Number of posts : 1871
Registration date : 2008-12-16

PostSubject: Re: parkin car for winter   parkin car for winter Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2009, 7:05 pm

i heard its better to start it often or not at all. If youcar has a block heater i recommend plugigng it in and letting it warm up before you start it.

I personally left the civic all winter without starting it.

Fill the gas tank full and put in fuel stabilizer make sure to do this.

theres plenty of debate on jacking the car up or not. The two arguments are you let it sit on the tires it ruins the tires. You jack it up and its said to hyper extend your suspension which isnt good for it. Since your car spends almost its entire life with weight on the suspension i recommend leaving it on the ground if you dont care about the tires
Back to top Go down
abs0Lut
Rank 9
Rank 9
abs0Lut

Number of posts : 2214
Vehicle : '95 EJ1
Registration date : 2009-04-13

PostSubject: Re: parkin car for winter   parkin car for winter Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2009, 7:30 pm

Although I have no experience with this this is what I am going to do this year with my car.

Wash it.
Take battery out.
lift and set on jackstands.
take sub out.
put a soft blanket on the car, then put a tarp on the car(its gunna be outside)
Back to top Go down
taylorvw
Rank 8
Rank 8
taylorvw

Number of posts : 1554
Vehicle : ce9a
Registration date : 2008-02-22

PostSubject: Re: parkin car for winter   parkin car for winter Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2009, 7:42 pm

Moneypits wrote:
theres plenty of debate on jacking the car up or not. The two arguments are you let it sit on the tires it ruins the tires. You jack it up and its said to hyper extend your suspension which isnt good for it. Since your car spends almost its entire life with weight on the suspension i recommend leaving it on the ground if you dont care about the tires
Good point!
Back to top Go down
DOOLHA
Rank 7
Rank 7
DOOLHA

Number of posts : 1053
Vehicle : schirting
Registration date : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: parkin car for winter   parkin car for winter Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2009, 7:52 pm

I just parked mine.

heres my plan:

Pull engine, make it better.
Back to top Go down
lu!$
Rank 9
Rank 9
lu!$

Number of posts : 2118
Vehicle : EJ1
Registration date : 2008-08-08

PostSubject: Re: parkin car for winter   parkin car for winter Icon_minitimeOctober 9th 2009, 12:08 am

taylorvw wrote:
Moneypits wrote:
Good point!
i would just take out the tires and rest it on blocks so you dont screw your suspension or tires...
Back to top Go down
http://www.justanotherwesite.ca
jdm_itr
jdm_itr

Number of posts : 4480
Vehicle : 99ITR/00 Ej6
Registration date : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: parkin car for winter   parkin car for winter Icon_minitimeOctober 9th 2009, 12:27 am

i TRY to wash it (isnt working so far)
put in garage start once a month let warm up to running temp
leave little gas in it not sure reasoning of putting a full tank in it just goes stale
check fluids for freezing point most important is the anti freeze caus if that freezes well i think we all know the out come
jack it up so tires dont get flat spots and sag the susp
and never put fuel stabalizer in it expires in 3 month anyways and i have always found it makes it a bitch to start in snow mobiles anyways .
main reason i jack it up is to keep the mice out !
oh yeah and r comps + random oct blizzard = very shitty highway driving almost hit the ditch like 3 times doing 50 Mad
Back to top Go down
Piett
Rank 9
Rank 9

Number of posts : 2625
Vehicle : 03 350z

PostSubject: Re: parkin car for winter   parkin car for winter Icon_minitimeOctober 9th 2009, 12:29 am

jdm_itr wrote:
i TRY to wash it (isnt working so far)
put in garage start once a month let warm up to running temp
leave little gas in it not sure reasoning of putting a full tank in it just goes stale
check fluids for freezing point most important is the anti freeze caus if that freezes well i think we all know the out come
jack it up so tires dont get flat spots and sag the susp
and never put fuel stabalizer in it expires in 3 month anyways and i have always found it makes it a bitch to start in snow mobiles anyways .
main reason i jack it up is to keep the mice out !
oh yeah and r comps + random oct blizzard = very shitty highway driving almost hit the ditch like 3 times doing 50 Mad

i was doing awd drifting in my sisters lexus tonight after work Razz
Back to top Go down
jdm_itr
jdm_itr

Number of posts : 4480
Vehicle : 99ITR/00 Ej6
Registration date : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: parkin car for winter   parkin car for winter Icon_minitimeOctober 9th 2009, 12:31 am

i was trying not to curb the te's tonight not as fun
Back to top Go down
Rob
Rank 9
Rank 9
Rob

PostSubject: Re: parkin car for winter   parkin car for winter Icon_minitimeOctober 9th 2009, 12:36 am

I think keepin the tank full is just to keep moisture out. Which I understand, the tank and fuel pump in my supra was completely corroded from sitting a few years with hardly any fuel in it
Back to top Go down
Silvianow
Rank 3
Rank 3
Silvianow

PostSubject: Re: parkin car for winter   parkin car for winter Icon_minitimeOctober 9th 2009, 12:47 am

Gas shouldnt go stale after like 5 months?

Put a trickle charger on your battery then if your going to leave in your vehicle.

Or disconnect it.
Back to top Go down
Noops
Rank 8
Rank 8
Noops

Number of posts : 1749
Vehicle : 02 Audi A6
Registration date : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: parkin car for winter   parkin car for winter Icon_minitimeOctober 9th 2009, 12:48 am

Silvianow wrote:
Gas shouldnt go stale after like 5 months?

Put a trickle charger on your battery then if your going to leave in your vehicle.

Or disconnect it.

Last winter i just diconnected battery and left it in
Back to top Go down
http://www.honda-tech.com
Silvianow
Rank 3
Rank 3
Silvianow

PostSubject: Re: parkin car for winter   parkin car for winter Icon_minitimeOctober 9th 2009, 12:49 am

Yah that works like i said.

Just if its connected, your car still draws current.
Back to top Go down
240sxy
Rank 9
Rank 9
240sxy

Number of posts : 3560
Registration date : 2008-02-19

PostSubject: Re: parkin car for winter   parkin car for winter Icon_minitimeOctober 9th 2009, 1:06 am

i had about half a tank of gas, put in a bottle of that fuel additive.
started it once a week when possible, to operating temp.
put my rims and tires inside the house, if you cant wrap them in a garbage bag because the tire will go bad.
jack the car up off the ground on jackstands, less chance of mice getting in.
and i changed the oil

thats about it.
Back to top Go down
lu!$
Rank 9
Rank 9
lu!$

Number of posts : 2118
Vehicle : EJ1
Registration date : 2008-08-08

PostSubject: Re: parkin car for winter   parkin car for winter Icon_minitimeOctober 9th 2009, 9:03 am

how to winter park a miata.... Cali tho so pointless....haha
parkin car for winter Garage_Nights_by_qst4grp
Back to top Go down
http://www.justanotherwesite.ca
Bjohnson
Rank 8
Rank 8
Bjohnson

Number of posts : 1871
Vehicle : 2001 Honda S2000
Registration date : 2009-07-11

PostSubject: Re: parkin car for winter   parkin car for winter Icon_minitimeOctober 9th 2009, 12:22 pm

im just gonna put steelies on tonight and put fuel stabilizer in and leave it be...
Back to top Go down
Marshal
Rank 9
Rank 9
Marshal

Number of posts : 2780
Vehicle : Nothing nice
Registration date : 2008-02-29

PostSubject: Re: parkin car for winter   parkin car for winter Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2009, 3:16 pm

Change your oil
Over inflate the tires if you don't jack it off the ground
remove battery(place it somewhere warm, and NOt on a concrete floor, preferably with a trickle charger on it)
Probably best to change your coolant, or jsut make sure it can handle the temps
Wash and wax it.
Car cover
put a few moth balls in it if you are worried about rodents getting in.
do a full interior clean, to protect the dash and what not if your dash is prone to cracking.
might as well remove the stereo if you dont want it to get stolen.
and keep a license plate on it all the time. I'm told there is still "some insurance" on it if there is a plate left on, or just get storage insurance.

And Adam, drive your car in the winter, you already don't daily drive it, you might as well keep it to have some fun with.
Back to top Go down
duggyb
Rank 5
Rank 5
duggyb

Number of posts : 680
Vehicle : 09' Mustang GT & 94' Nissan Silvia
Registration date : 2009-04-07

PostSubject: Re: parkin car for winter   parkin car for winter Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2009, 6:40 pm

mine will be going inside a non heated garage but i am still going to

-Clean/wash/wax everything
-grease any nipples/greasable u-joints etc(just so i can hop in and go in the summer)
-fill the tank(this is to keep condensation and moisture from forming with tempature change)
-fuel stabilizer(kyle fuel stabilizer in a sled is different becuase its a 2 stroke motor and requires the octane more to run at peak(hence premium makes ur sled run better) where as a car in the summer wont run at TOP it is not going to affect it like a sled would.
-jack up and place on blocks with jackstands to support wheels in their "usual" position
-rims and tires and battery will be coming inside

i have been told going out and starting it every once and awhile and not driving it is still hard on the battery , especially with current draws of todays accersorys(alarm systems,sat radio,chargers)

hope this helps anyone?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: parkin car for winter   parkin car for winter Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

parkin car for winter
Page 1 of 1