Queen City Automotive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Swapping windshields.

Go down 
+3
lu!$
Marshal
JHMED
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
JHMED
Rank 4
Rank 4

Number of posts : 268
Vehicle : 88 ED8
Registration date : 2009-08-13

Swapping windshields. Empty
PostSubject: Swapping windshields.   Swapping windshields. Icon_minitimeSeptember 17th 2009, 8:49 am

You guys may have figured out, I am a cheap bastard... I am in search of someone who knows how to change a windshield on one of my ED Hondas for safety inspection. I have a windshield in good shape on one of them, so really we would just have to take them both off, and install the good one.

Or would you recommend me just to suck it up, and pay the $250 or so dollars for a brand new windshield...
Back to top Go down
Marshal
Rank 9
Rank 9
Marshal

Number of posts : 2780
Vehicle : Nothing nice
Registration date : 2008-02-29

PostSubject: Re: Swapping windshields.   Swapping windshields. Icon_minitimeSeptember 17th 2009, 10:10 am

swapping them is just fine. Lots of people have done it.
I don't know where you would go though, we did mine ourselves, but mine os not sealed in with sealant.
Most places will not touch a windshield in a car already due to the fact that it might break
Back to top Go down
JHMED
Rank 4
Rank 4

PostSubject: Re: Swapping windshields.   Swapping windshields. Icon_minitimeSeptember 17th 2009, 11:25 am

I figured places wouldn't touch the installed windshield. Anyone, from experience, dealt with a sealed windshield? What sealant should I use, what will get rid of the sealant already on there etc. I searched on Google, but there was no good info.
Back to top Go down
Marshal
Rank 9
Rank 9
Marshal

Number of posts : 2780
Vehicle : Nothing nice
Registration date : 2008-02-29

PostSubject: Re: Swapping windshields.   Swapping windshields. Icon_minitimeSeptember 17th 2009, 1:39 pm

JHMED wrote:
I figured places wouldn't touch the installed windshield. Anyone, from experience, dealt with a sealed windshield? What sealant should I use, what will get rid of the sealant already on there etc. I searched on Google, but there was no good info.

If your windshield is sealed into your car, then it is a structural parts of the car. Its integrity is key., and safety is one thing I would not try to scrimp on in this case. Try calling around to speedy glass or some of the smaller shops and see if they will help you?
Back to top Go down
lu!$
Rank 9
Rank 9
lu!$

Number of posts : 2118
Vehicle : EJ1
Registration date : 2008-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Swapping windshields.   Swapping windshields. Icon_minitimeSeptember 17th 2009, 1:46 pm

speedy glass will rip you off...
windshield isnt that hard but marshall is right. i would recomend get someone to put it in....
i have a friend who works in ford and does this, perhaps he can do yours. ill ask and see what sealant you need to buy.
I have read about this and to take it out you might need that piano wire an go from there

Last edited by lu!$ on September 17th 2009, 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.justanotherwesite.ca
JHMED
Rank 4
Rank 4

PostSubject: Re: Swapping windshields.   Swapping windshields. Icon_minitimeSeptember 17th 2009, 1:51 pm

Marshal. wrote:
JHMED wrote:

If your windshield is sealed into your car, then it is a structural parts of the car. Its integrity is key., and safety is one thing I would not try to scrimp on in this case. Try calling around to speedy glass or some of the smaller shops and see if they will help you?

I will just suck it up and pay for a new windshield installation and such, don't want to mess with the very delicate structural integrity of my EF.

Thanks for your help.
Back to top Go down
JHMED
Rank 4
Rank 4

PostSubject: Re: Swapping windshields.   Swapping windshields. Icon_minitimeSeptember 17th 2009, 1:53 pm

I have the windshield in another car.
It has a crack on it though...
Back to top Go down
lu!$
Rank 9
Rank 9
lu!$

PostSubject: Re: Swapping windshields.   Swapping windshields. Icon_minitimeSeptember 17th 2009, 1:55 pm

JHMED wrote:

If it has a crack already on it.... no one will do it.. i dont think..... kinda sketchy
just buy a used one from sktoon or here
Back to top Go down
JHMED
Rank 4
Rank 4

PostSubject: Re: Swapping windshields.   Swapping windshields. Icon_minitimeSeptember 17th 2009, 2:28 pm

lu!$ wrote:
JHMED wrote:

If it has a crack already on it.... no one will do it.. i dont think..... kinda sketchy
just buy a used one from sktoon or here

where from though? Bucks?
Back to top Go down
taylorvw
Rank 8
Rank 8
taylorvw

Number of posts : 1554
Vehicle : ce9a
Registration date : 2008-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Swapping windshields.   Swapping windshields. Icon_minitimeSeptember 17th 2009, 11:28 pm

first off if it has a crack they will not safety it... so what the hell is the point?
Back to top Go down
JHMED
Rank 4
Rank 4

PostSubject: Re: Swapping windshields.   Swapping windshields. Icon_minitimeSeptember 17th 2009, 11:33 pm

taylorvw wrote:
first off if it has a crack they will not safety it... so what the hell is the point?

I didn't know that. Hence why I am going to get a new/used windshield, with no cracks.
Back to top Go down
taylorvw
Rank 8
Rank 8
taylorvw

Number of posts : 1554
Vehicle : ce9a
Registration date : 2008-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Swapping windshields.   Swapping windshields. Icon_minitimeSeptember 17th 2009, 11:35 pm

souns good!
Back to top Go down
raboyto2
Rank 6
Rank 6

Number of posts : 916
Vehicle : 1992 Toyota Hilux Surf
Registration date : 2008-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Swapping windshields.   Swapping windshields. Icon_minitimeSeptember 17th 2009, 11:52 pm

window urethane or window-weld. both similar i think.?
Back to top Go down
JHMED
Rank 4
Rank 4

PostSubject: Re: Swapping windshields.   Swapping windshields. Icon_minitimeSeptember 18th 2009, 12:01 am

raboyto2 wrote:
window urethane or window-weld. both similar i think.?

elaborate?
Back to top Go down
raboyto2
Rank 6
Rank 6

PostSubject: Re: Swapping windshields.   Swapping windshields. Icon_minitimeSeptember 18th 2009, 12:08 am

there are tools that remove windows. its like little handles and metal wire that cuts it out. hard to get a complete window out the first time i heard. takes a bit of practice?

and to reseal it , buy window urethane, can be boughten at automotive stores. 3M makes a good one. about 20-30$ for a tube. comes in a tube for a cocking gun.

never done it, just my understanding of it.

civics (uni body) do use it as part of the structural integrity, so i dont know how that would work.
Back to top Go down
JHMED
Rank 4
Rank 4

PostSubject: Re: Swapping windshields.   Swapping windshields. Icon_minitimeSeptember 18th 2009, 12:10 am

raboyto2 wrote:
there are tools that remove windows. its like little handles and metal wire that cuts it out. hard to get a complete window out the first time i heard. takes a bit of practice?

and to reseal it , buy window urethane, can be boughten at automotive stores. 3M makes a good one. about 20-30$ for a tube. comes in a tube for a cocking gun.

never done it, just my understanding of it.

civics (uni body) do use it as part of the structural integrity, so i dont know how that would work.

I have heard that if you "torque" the car, then put it in, that works. I also hear that it works best to use an electric caulking gun. I just don't want to kill my EF. =(
Back to top Go down
raboyto2
Rank 6
Rank 6

PostSubject: Re: Swapping windshields.   Swapping windshields. Icon_minitimeSeptember 18th 2009, 1:22 am

torque it? lol wtf. .

try this. get a few ratching straps and hook them up to the front and back of the car from underneath. start tightening and eventually your window will just pop out.
Back to top Go down
lu!$
Rank 9
Rank 9
lu!$

PostSubject: Re: Swapping windshields.   Swapping windshields. Icon_minitimeSeptember 18th 2009, 1:26 am

I you need to safety the car you can buy a used one and put it on but if it's cracked forget it. Go to 306 and get in touch with dwillis or something like that. He has tons of civics where you might be able to get parts from. Also check the wreckers on 5th and saint johns.
Back to top Go down
raboyto2
Rank 6
Rank 6

PostSubject: Re: Swapping windshields.   Swapping windshields. Icon_minitimeSeptember 18th 2009, 2:00 am

lu!$ wrote:
Also check the wreckers on 5th and saint johns.

i hate those guys. fucking assholes
Back to top Go down
JHMED
Rank 4
Rank 4

PostSubject: Re: Swapping windshields.   Swapping windshields. Icon_minitimeSeptember 18th 2009, 2:08 am

raboyto2 wrote:
lu!$ wrote:

Agreed.

I will just check at buck's and a few others over the weekend.
Back to top Go down
lu!$
Rank 9
Rank 9
lu!$

PostSubject: Re: Swapping windshields.   Swapping windshields. Icon_minitimeSeptember 20th 2009, 2:34 pm

raboyto2 wrote:
lu!$ wrote:

why?
Back to top Go down
Fiorante
Rank 7
Rank 7
Fiorante

Number of posts : 1234
Vehicle : frankenstien'd skyline
Registration date : 2008-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Swapping windshields.   Swapping windshields. Icon_minitimeSeptember 20th 2009, 2:55 pm

getting a windshield out is tricky, and in my opinion, not worth the time, i swapped them in my supra's, with the help of my neighbor who has been doing it for 20 years. and he could not guarantee that we could get it out without breaking it. go spend the $200 its going to cost to get a glass shop to change it. and then you dont have to deal with the extra broken windshield.
Back to top Go down
raboyto2
Rank 6
Rank 6

PostSubject: Re: Swapping windshields.   Swapping windshields. Icon_minitimeSeptember 20th 2009, 6:28 pm

lu!$ wrote:
raboyto2 wrote:
lu!$ wrote:

why?

because they are cunts .

like i called to see how much a mirror was for my 240. "50$", k sweet ill take it. get there and they want 130$. what?

not just that, just the attitude i got every time i went there.
Back to top Go down
Jason-
Rank 3
Rank 3
Jason-

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-02-20

PostSubject: Re: Swapping windshields.   Swapping windshields. Icon_minitimeSeptember 20th 2009, 6:30 pm

I just had mine replaced. $250 installed Brand new.
Back to top Go down
JHMED
Rank 4
Rank 4

PostSubject: Re: Swapping windshields.   Swapping windshields. Icon_minitimeSeptember 20th 2009, 6:48 pm

Jason- wrote:
I just had mine replaced. $250 installed Brand new.

Where at?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Swapping windshields.   Swapping windshields. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Swapping windshields.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Queen City Automotive :: Automotive :: General-
Jump to: