Queen City Automotive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

how long can i go without oxygen sensors?

Go down 
+2
jdm_itr
_....
6 posters
AuthorMessage
_....
Rank 4
Rank 4

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2008-03-16

how long can i go without oxygen sensors? Empty
PostSubject: how long can i go without oxygen sensors?   how long can i go without oxygen sensors? Icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2009, 6:35 pm

My sweet backup car (98 dodge neon sport oh ya...) has oxygen sensor code coming up and makes the car idle rough and struggle to accerlerate quickly, i know i need to replace the sensors but with school its impossible to get the car in til hopefully this weekend. If anyone knows something about O2 sensors can i keep using this bad boy to commute to moose jaw in for the rest of this week or is that going to fuck shit up? There is also a power steering switch code coming up which could also add to the problem.

Suggestion are what im looking for, i dont really care about the car but i need it to work for the next while to get me to school.

thanks.
Back to top Go down
jdm_itr
jdm_itr

Number of posts : 4480
Vehicle : 99ITR/00 Ej6
Registration date : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: how long can i go without oxygen sensors?   how long can i go without oxygen sensors? Icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2009, 6:42 pm

im the best mechanic on here id say just drive it Razz
Back to top Go down
doom26464
Rank 4
Rank 4
doom26464

Number of posts : 411
Vehicle : MR-2 GT, Civic SiR
Registration date : 2008-08-30

PostSubject: Re: how long can i go without oxygen sensors?   how long can i go without oxygen sensors? Icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2009, 6:53 pm

I ran no 02s on the rex for quite a few months. Bought it like that so who knows how long it was run with no 02s. Car was a bit hesitant when going to wot, and gas mileage was worse. Still wasn't too bad and still very driveable. I think It would depend on the car and how the pcm uses it for calculations.
Back to top Go down
RyanR
Rank 6
Rank 6
RyanR

Number of posts : 752
Vehicle : 2008 Toyota Tundra
Registration date : 2008-06-22

PostSubject: Re: how long can i go without oxygen sensors?   how long can i go without oxygen sensors? Icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2009, 7:13 pm

ECM when at operating temp and fully warmed up pays attention to the 02 for fueling purposes. Its the only thing it looks at. Removing the 02 sensor reverts the ecm back to a base fueling rate. It can no longer make changes on the fly based on what its seeing from the oxygen sensor. In short you will not fucking anything up but you will burn up the converter sooner in the long run. Mileage will suffer a alot as you are now making the computer guestimate how much fuel it should inject.
Back to top Go down
http://www.306motorclub.com
Rob
Rank 9
Rank 9
Rob

Number of posts : 3105
Vehicle : Jeep XJ / 2013 Mustang 5.0
Registration date : 2008-02-11

PostSubject: Re: how long can i go without oxygen sensors?   how long can i go without oxygen sensors? Icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2009, 7:16 pm

open loop ftl
Back to top Go down
jdm_itr
jdm_itr

Number of posts : 4480
Vehicle : 99ITR/00 Ej6
Registration date : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: how long can i go without oxygen sensors?   how long can i go without oxygen sensors? Icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2009, 7:31 pm

i think it just makes the car idle wierd and maybe a bit on gas
Back to top Go down
_....
Rank 4
Rank 4

PostSubject: Re: how long can i go without oxygen sensors?   how long can i go without oxygen sensors? Icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2009, 8:49 pm

Ok thanks guys, i kinda figured it wasn't a huge deal for me to go a few more days on it, i can live with lower gas mileage for now, still gets as good as my 180 does on the highway, wonder what it will get when it has new O2s in it. I just didn't want to screw up the cat, but it would probably take a lot longer for that to happen.
Back to top Go down
raboyto2
Rank 6
Rank 6

Number of posts : 916
Vehicle : 1992 Toyota Hilux Surf
Registration date : 2008-05-18

PostSubject: Re: how long can i go without oxygen sensors?   how long can i go without oxygen sensors? Icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2009, 9:32 pm

its going to go into rich mode is it not? You will get more carbon build up and like said before, start plugging your cat. Run like you are for a while, run some SeaFoam threw a vacuum hose , put in your new o2 and some new spark plugs when your not busy.
Back to top Go down
_....
Rank 4
Rank 4

PostSubject: Re: how long can i go without oxygen sensors?   how long can i go without oxygen sensors? Icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2009, 10:30 pm

Ya it would be running rich. I know it needs to get done, problem is i dont have anywhere or anytime to do it. I was just curious how long it would take to start doing serious damage to the cat since I drive it to mj everyday. If all goes well I will have it fixed on the weekend, that is if i can find a shop thats not backed up with work.
Back to top Go down
_....
Rank 4
Rank 4

PostSubject: Re: how long can i go without oxygen sensors?   how long can i go without oxygen sensors? Icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2009, 10:43 pm

Ok how about this, does anyone know a shop I can take this beast to on saturday or sunday that would have someone working that actually knows shit about cars, it might be something else besides the sensors themselves causing the problem. I dont want to buy new sensors if i dont need to so i need someone who will look at it before throwing parts at it at my expense.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how long can i go without oxygen sensors?   how long can i go without oxygen sensors? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

how long can i go without oxygen sensors?
Page 1 of 1