Queen City Automotive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Winter Prep

Go down 
+5
raboyto2
JYB116
Fiorante
Cody
CamJohns122
9 posters
AuthorMessage
CamJohns122
Rank 7
Rank 7
CamJohns122

Number of posts : 1380
Vehicle : '93 Civic Si Hatch, 91 Chevy Sprint Turbo, 85 RX7 GSL
Registration date : 2008-02-19

Winter Prep Empty
PostSubject: Winter Prep   Winter Prep Icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2008, 11:08 pm

Alright well this is not only for me but for others who arent winter driving their car. What are some tips and procedures to get your vehicle to do 6 months of waiting? I know some like taking the battery out and storing it inside over the winter. But what else. I was thinking of leaving it on jack stands and supports all winter, is this good or bad idea?
Back to top Go down
Cody
Rank 3
Rank 3
Cody

Number of posts : 193
Vehicle : 1981 Malibu 355sbc
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Winter Prep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Prep   Winter Prep Icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2008, 11:30 pm

I dont know if thats neccesary, but I've never done it so dont take my word lol. I never have and everything seems fine to me. Obviously make sure you have enough glycol in your coolant so it doesn't freeze, grab a thing of fuel stabalizer(not sure if its needed? I usually do it anyways).

Cover up any openings where mice can get in, has to be a material that a mouse isn't going to bite through of course.

Change the oil before you start it in the spring.

All i can think of at the moment, sure there is more.
Back to top Go down
CamJohns122
Rank 7
Rank 7
CamJohns122

Winter Prep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Prep   Winter Prep Icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2008, 11:32 pm

Cody wrote:
I dont know if thats neccesary, but I've never done it so dont take my word lol. I never have and everything seems fine to me. Obviously make sure you have enough glycol in your coolant so it doesn't freeze, grab a thing of fuel stabalizer(not sure if its needed? I usually do it anyways).

Cover up any openings where mice can get in, has to be a material that a mouse isn't going to bite through of course.

Change the oil before you start it in the spring.

All i can think of at the moment, sure there is more.

yeah prob throw some mice repellant and also bounce sheets i heard work, but ill be working on the car alot so its not like ill be to worried bout mice but yeah for sure im gonna seal it up and i heard batterys should come inside if you wanna keep em in good condition.

And wouldnt the tires get flat spots if sitting for 6 months without moving
Back to top Go down
Cody
Rank 3
Rank 3
Cody

Winter Prep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Prep   Winter Prep Icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2008, 11:36 pm

I haven't experience any tire problems, but the tires I usually have are say.. 225 70 I'm not too sure about low-profile tires. Probably wouldn't hurt to take em off.

And yeah definately take the battery out and don't put it on cement, put it on cardboard or something.
Back to top Go down
CamJohns122
Rank 7
Rank 7
CamJohns122

Winter Prep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Prep   Winter Prep Icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2008, 11:56 pm

Alright for sure, also anyone know of a butane heater or some sort of heating solution for my garage, its not insulated and i wanna work on my car in the winter
Back to top Go down
Fiorante
Rank 7
Rank 7
Fiorante

Number of posts : 1234
Vehicle : frankenstien'd skyline
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Winter Prep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Prep   Winter Prep Icon_minitimeAugust 28th 2008, 12:49 am

find a propane heater from a camper or something, so you can vent it outside so you dont have to worry about fumes, or go old school and use a wood stove.
Back to top Go down
JYB116
Rank 8
Rank 8
JYB116

Number of posts : 1788
Vehicle : Nissan skyline gtr
Registration date : 2008-05-05

Winter Prep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Prep   Winter Prep Icon_minitimeAugust 28th 2008, 1:18 am

put it on jack stands, cover all openigns then cover it up and put that fuel stuff for get wat its called
Back to top Go down
raboyto2
Rank 6
Rank 6

Number of posts : 916
Vehicle : 1992 Toyota Hilux Surf
Registration date : 2008-05-18

Winter Prep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Prep   Winter Prep Icon_minitimeAugust 28th 2008, 1:21 am

step 1 : drive into garage
step 2 : drive out 6 months later.

DONE

just kidding , here is something i found on the internet. I would follow this :

http://www.techguys.ca/howto/winter.html

Oh.... and i would change the oil BEFORE i stored it. Oil can get acidic. Why do you think oil change intervals are " 5000 kms or 6 months, whichever comes first. " All that acid inside the engine is no good.
Back to top Go down
phoez
Rank 7
Rank 7

Number of posts : 1337
Vehicle : nokia + xj
Registration date : 2008-02-16

Winter Prep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Prep   Winter Prep Icon_minitimeAugust 28th 2008, 2:57 am

Fiorante wrote:
find a propane heater from a camper or something, so you can vent it outside so you dont have to worry about fumes, or go old school and use a wood stove.

propane fucks u up. lol
Back to top Go down
Fiorante
Rank 7
Rank 7
Fiorante

Number of posts : 1234
Vehicle : frankenstien'd skyline
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Winter Prep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Prep   Winter Prep Icon_minitimeAugust 28th 2008, 8:51 am

ePHin wrote:
Fiorante wrote:

propane fucks u up. lol

Thats why i said vent it outside Smile
Back to top Go down
mr.bellamy
Rank 3
Rank 3
mr.bellamy

Number of posts : 125
Vehicle : 2000 Black Integra
Registration date : 2008-04-15

Winter Prep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Prep   Winter Prep Icon_minitimeAugust 28th 2008, 10:29 am

For heating, get a couple of those heat lamps and set them in random places in your garage.
Back to top Go down
Cody
Rank 3
Rank 3
Cody

Winter Prep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Prep   Winter Prep Icon_minitimeAugust 28th 2008, 10:06 pm

get underfloor heating Laughing it would be amazing but it would cost about $2000 probably and you have to rip up the concrete or pour an inch more concrete overtop of existing concrete.

I work for Uponor and thats what we do. Its very efficient and you can have different rooms at different temps and what not. I design the pipe-layouts on autocad.

sorry, off topic.. yeah get a propane heater, I have a little electric one and it takes like an hour or longer to heat the garage..
Back to top Go down
corey
Admin
Admin
corey

Number of posts : 4758
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Winter Prep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Prep   Winter Prep Icon_minitimeAugust 28th 2008, 10:25 pm

I will be storing the 240 over winter also and not touch it for 6 months so this shall be helpful to me as well. One thing I thought of before storing it wouldn't be a bad idea to wash it up nice and wax it to seal it? This may be a little over the top but if there is any tiny stone chips to bare metal may bay a good idea.
Back to top Go down
CamJohns122
Rank 7
Rank 7
CamJohns122

Winter Prep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Prep   Winter Prep Icon_minitimeAugust 28th 2008, 11:20 pm

corey wrote:
I will be storing the 240 over winter also and not touch it for 6 months so this shall be helpful to me as well. One thing I thought of before storing it wouldn't be a bad idea to wash it up nice and wax it to seal it? This may be a little over the top but if there is any tiny stone chips to bare metal may bay a good idea.

I thought the exact same thing im gonna wash it up wax and also delete the surface rust in my wheel well and use a paint pen to seal that as well
Back to top Go down
corey
Admin
Admin
corey

Winter Prep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Prep   Winter Prep Icon_minitimeAugust 28th 2008, 11:54 pm

You may want to look into something more than just a paint pen seeing as that won't penetrate it as much as you'd like it to.
Back to top Go down
Rob
Rank 9
Rank 9
Rob

Number of posts : 3105
Vehicle : Jeep XJ / 2013 Mustang 5.0
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Winter Prep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Prep   Winter Prep Icon_minitimeAugust 28th 2008, 11:55 pm

I think you guys worry too much
Back to top Go down
corey
Admin
Admin
corey

Winter Prep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Prep   Winter Prep Icon_minitimeAugust 28th 2008, 11:56 pm

I'm sorry we don't accept rust as a joyful thing as it seems you do from that comment.
Back to top Go down
CamJohns122
Rank 7
Rank 7
CamJohns122

Winter Prep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Prep   Winter Prep Icon_minitimeAugust 28th 2008, 11:57 pm

Well its nothign much really just like in the fender i guess on the inside its like minor minor surface rust i just wanna get rid of
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Winter Prep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Prep   Winter Prep Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Winter Prep
Page 1 of 1