Queen City Automotive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Under Coating.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
corey
Admin
Admin
corey

Number of posts : 4758
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Under Coating. Empty
PostSubject: Under Coating.   Under Coating. Icon_minitimeAugust 25th 2008, 11:41 pm

Before winter I would like to undercoat my car to seal it up and get that out of the way. Can anyone suggest a good product in particular to do such a job. Would bed liner do the job?
Back to top Go down
raboyto2
Rank 6
Rank 6

Number of posts : 916
Vehicle : 1992 Toyota Hilux Surf
Registration date : 2008-05-18

Under Coating. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Under Coating.   Under Coating. Icon_minitimeAugust 26th 2008, 12:33 am

bed liner is hard and has no flex, but maybe it will do the job?

Rubberized undercoating which you can buy by the can like paint is suppose to work well. It bends with the chassis.

Its also a REALLY messy job. Maybe you could get someone like zebart to do it... i think they charge like 200 or 250 and will do a better job then you could. A hoist makes everything easier.
Back to top Go down
Marshal
Rank 9
Rank 9
Marshal

Number of posts : 2780
Vehicle : Nothing nice
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Under Coating. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Under Coating.   Under Coating. Icon_minitimeAugust 26th 2008, 6:03 pm

I'll go it. but some plastic overalls, and spread out newspaper on the groudn under your car. adn you can wear your favorite rubber gloves. Just buy the ashphalt undercoated. its like $3 at canadian tire, and for like $20 you can do your whole car. I'll help if that helps sway your vote, and you can use that $200 you would pay zeibart, and add it to my "marshalneedsacarbecasuemineisbrokenfund" Sounds good? kbye
Back to top Go down
Cody
Rank 3
Rank 3
Cody

Number of posts : 193
Vehicle : 1981 Malibu 355sbc
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Under Coating. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Under Coating.   Under Coating. Icon_minitimeAugust 26th 2008, 6:59 pm

FlyingBrick wrote:
I'll go it. but some plastic overalls, and spread out newspaper on the groudn under your car. adn you can wear your favorite rubber gloves. Just buy the ashphalt undercoated. its like $3 at canadian tire, and for like $20 you can do your whole car. I'll help if that helps sway your vote, and you can use that $200 you would pay zeibart, and add it to my "marshalneedsacarbecasuemineisbrokenfund" Sounds good? kbye

I used that stuff from canadian tire when i welded my floor boards in, stuff works amazingly
Back to top Go down
corey
Admin
Admin
corey

Under Coating. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Under Coating.   Under Coating. Icon_minitimeAugust 26th 2008, 7:58 pm

Marshal, your hired!

Yeah I was unsure about bed liner but it does make sense that it would be far too stiff.
Back to top Go down
_....
Rank 4
Rank 4

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2008-03-16

Under Coating. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Under Coating.   Under Coating. Icon_minitimeAugust 26th 2008, 10:54 pm

If you put some kind of undercoating on yourself make sure you keep any drain holes clear, i've heard if you don't you can make the problem worse. Personally I don't have any undercoating on my 180 and I drove it all winter. There was no rust when I got it and no rust now, just keep it clean underneath, especially in the spring. They don't really salt the roads here like they do in the northern states or out east so its not so bad. If you want you could also buy some cans of rust check and spray that underneath your car, it penetrates the metal to prevent rust, thats what I'm doing again this year.
Back to top Go down
Cody
Rank 3
Rank 3
Cody

Number of posts : 193
Vehicle : 1981 Malibu 355sbc
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Under Coating. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Under Coating.   Under Coating. Icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2008, 9:09 am

My buddy is doing a body-off on his 67 GMC, and after welding up the floor he used that undercoating stuff from CT and it still looks nice underneath, just have to take your time, and it has done wonders on my car. I used that rust check on some other parts I have welded and it seems to work pretty good. When I welded up my floor I sprayed the shit out of it with rust check, then seam sealed everything, then undercaoted it lol. If it rusts I'll be pissed.

And i think you can paint the undercoating? not sure though, probably says on the can
Back to top Go down
corey
Admin
Admin
corey

Under Coating. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Under Coating.   Under Coating. Icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2008, 7:00 pm

We'll I'd mainly like to just clean up the bottom and give myself an extra bit of insurance knowing that there is 3/16ths of an inch of rubber coating between my car and salt ha.

About the drain hole matter, I am stripping the interior right now and clearing the sound deadening shit off and there was a metal tab that came loose that is straight through from interior to ground. So would this be a drain plug or are drain plugs only rubber and this is some sort of mysterious tab?
Back to top Go down
_....
Rank 4
Rank 4

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2008-03-16

Under Coating. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Under Coating.   Under Coating. Icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2008, 9:11 pm

I was saying it from a general point of view with no specific car in mind. Just that sometime when that undercoating is applied it allows water to get trapped above it somehow and rusts the hell out of stuff since it doesn't have any way to drain out. IF you use it just keep it in mind, should be pretty obvious spots where water could get trapped.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Under Coating. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Under Coating.   Under Coating. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Under Coating.
Page 1 of 1