HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Stance opinion?

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Heretic
Rank 8
Rank 8
avatar

Number of posts : 1718
Age : 21
Vehicle : MKII Jetta
Location : Regina
Registration date : 2009-09-12

PostSubject: Stance opinion?   January 14th 2011, 12:58 pm

I'm curious the younger guys take on this? (since I'm older then a dinosaur and have no idea what's cool anymore)

In a situation like mine where I'm looking for proper stance, would it be better to use some spacers and push my current OG Enkei 92's right out (even though they have basically no lip), or buy a set of deep dish staggered XXR 513's (513's are the Banana sport/Mini-lite reps)

Thoughts?



Last edited by Heretic on January 14th 2011, 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kyles_r32
Rank 4
Rank 4
avatar

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Stance opinion?   January 14th 2011, 1:19 pm

deep dish
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jdm_itr
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Number of posts : 4480
Age : 31
Vehicle : 99ITR/00 Ej6
Location : southey yo
Registration date : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Stance opinion?   January 14th 2011, 2:02 pm

xxr and give me your enkie lol

_________________
99 Integra Type R

00 honda civic
DODO-LOGIC.ca
corey wrote:
adrian= first ban victim of 2011

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3334679
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Heretic
Rank 8
Rank 8
avatar

Number of posts : 1718
Age : 21
Vehicle : MKII Jetta
Location : Regina
Registration date : 2009-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Stance opinion?   January 14th 2011, 2:03 pm

I guess some pictures would help. If do I get the XXR's there is a 90% chance I would just sell off the Enkei's.

XXR's in questions


I would be getting this colour, and this size. It's very retro style, I think it suits an 80's VW well.


Enkei's that I have, I'm going to re-paint the widows/back of wheel (not sure if gold again, possibly white, black or red) and re-polish the faces before spring. It' was a very hard summer on them.



You can see the problem, far too sunken.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Golks
Rank 5
Rank 5
avatar

Number of posts : 582
Age : 40
Vehicle : '98 Honda
Location : Regina
Registration date : 2008-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Stance opinion?   January 14th 2011, 2:25 pm

ENKEI > XXR

But I am older than you. So disregard my words.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dodo-logic.ca
Bjohnson
Rank 8
Rank 8
avatar

Number of posts : 1871
Age : 26
Vehicle : 2001 Honda S2000
Location : Regina
Registration date : 2009-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Stance opinion?   January 14th 2011, 3:02 pm

Golks wrote:
ENKEI > XXR

But I am older than you. So disregard my words.

Im way younger then both of you and I couldnt agree more on what you just said
Back to top Go down
View user profile
1eightySX
Rank 9
Rank 9
avatar

Number of posts : 3807
Registration date : 2008-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Stance opinion?   January 14th 2011, 3:02 pm

It is all preference, I would vote for lip as well... but I'm me. Your current wheels are a pretty legit wheel. But I would never buy say a set of TE's without concave. The cool thing is, if you get the other wheels you could maybe keep you current set and change it up whenever you like. That way your other old man friends don't need to know you caved to "trends."
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dodo-logic.ca
1eightySX
Rank 9
Rank 9
avatar

Number of posts : 3807
Registration date : 2008-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Stance opinion?   January 14th 2011, 3:08 pm

Although are they not re-releasing your wheels this year. Buy them in a more fun size.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dodo-logic.ca
240sxy
Rank 9
Rank 9
avatar

Number of posts : 3560
Registration date : 2008-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Stance opinion?   January 14th 2011, 4:03 pm

enkei

the 92 mesh go for like $600 these days in 15x8+ 0.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
c.mayer
Rank 4
Rank 4


Number of posts : 264
Vehicle : Delica, 2004 harley custom
Location : Regina
Registration date : 2008-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Stance opinion?   January 14th 2011, 4:36 pm

re-do em gold for sure
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Heretic
Rank 8
Rank 8
avatar

Number of posts : 1718
Age : 21
Vehicle : MKII Jetta
Location : Regina
Registration date : 2009-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Stance opinion?   January 14th 2011, 4:58 pm

1eightySX wrote:
Although are they not re-releasing your wheels this year. Buy them in a more fun size.

Yeah about that.

Places like Fatlace/Hella Flush have a known dis-like of the reps (or fakies as they were). So now we have Enkei re-releasing their own wheel. (Which is actually a replica of a BBS wheel, but lets not get into symantics)

The 'new' Enkei 92, is a Rep. It's one Piece cast wheel, the orignal was a 2pc with a forged outer barrel and a cast center section. How is Enkei's 92 Re-release any more legit then an XXR 513 minilite rep? The minilite style, like the meshie, has been out so for damn long nobody can remember who made the first wheel anymore.

So where as I'm a not a fan of the XXR-002 and other styles that are fake splitties (fake rivets to look like a multi piece?) the 513 does not have fake rivets, it does not try to fake being a multi piece, it's just a version of a very old design wheel.

Honestly 'm not even sure who made the very first Mini-lite?

240sxy wrote:
enkei

the 92 mesh go for like $600 these days in 15x8+ 0.

Yeah, but hard to find low offsets in 4x100. Most are in 4x114.3 or 5x114.3 Sad

I have actually been shopping around for a lower offset version of original 92's in 4x100. Even if I could find a set of 2 or 3, I could run a staggered combo.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
c.mayer
Rank 4
Rank 4


Number of posts : 264
Vehicle : Delica, 2004 harley custom
Location : Regina
Registration date : 2008-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Stance opinion?   January 14th 2011, 6:56 pm

Doesnt everyone with a vw want Borbet style A?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Heretic
Rank 8
Rank 8
avatar

Number of posts : 1718
Age : 21
Vehicle : MKII Jetta
Location : Regina
Registration date : 2009-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Stance opinion?   January 15th 2011, 11:05 am

Borbet A are awesome!

Adam in Saskatoon has the sickest set of those just about ever.


Back to top Go down
View user profile
Golks
Rank 5
Rank 5
avatar

Number of posts : 582
Age : 40
Vehicle : '98 Honda
Location : Regina
Registration date : 2008-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Stance opinion?   January 15th 2011, 11:35 am

http://www.watanabewheel.com/products.htm

R-Type 15x12 -51

'nuff said.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dodo-logic.ca
Heretic
Rank 8
Rank 8
avatar

Number of posts : 1718
Age : 21
Vehicle : MKII Jetta
Location : Regina
Registration date : 2009-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Stance opinion?   January 15th 2011, 3:29 pm

Golks wrote:
http://www.watanabewheel.com/products.htm

R-Type 15x12 -51

'nuff said.

Awesome, think I could stretch a 195 on that 12" wheel? Very Happy

After some more research it turns out Minilite is the actual name of the company as well. They first made that wheel in 1961. So even those Watanabe's are a knock off or replica just like the XXR or Rota RB is. But Minilite is still in business they make Mag or Aluminum version of that original wheel to this day. Minilite like BBS Basketweave is probably the most copied wheel in the world. Just about everybody has a version of a meshie and everybody has a version of a minilite. There is no point in call them "reps' anymore, everybody has stolen in by now. It's like calling Work M1R's, BBS fakies. Time to let it go on these designs.

Quote :
The original Minilite wheel, was probably the most successful competition wheel of the 1960’s and 70’s. As the name suggests, it was originally developed as a magnesium competition wheel for the then revolutionary new Austin ‘Mini’, but its instant success meant that it was soon to be seen on many of the serious race and rally cars of that era. A new iconic style was born, and to this day, all genuine Minilite wheels are made to that original classic design. Manufactured exclusively at our premises in the UK, Minilite wheels are ‘Low-Pressure’ die cast, in high grade aluminium alloy; machined on the latest CNC equipment, 100% pressure tested, and finally powder coated for maximum protection against the elements.

If a person wanted to be 100% legit with this style, you would need honest Minilites made in england. The OG wheel was Magnesium, so technically you would want the mag one. Which would be sexy as hell, nobody has real magnesium wheels anymore!

Minilite makes them in tasty offsets too
15x7 ET -6 to +16
15x8 ET -16 to +3

Funniest part is Watanabe's cost more then real Minilites. When you google XXR513 or Rota RB you get forums where people are calling them Watanabe copies. Either nobody has any idea real Minilite's exsisted back in the day or everybody has gone elitist pig and all the really care about is how much money you spent on wheels, and Since Watanabes cost more them anything in that style, they are by default more 'legit' now. Rolling Eyes

Funniest part is Rota RB's are lighter then same sized Alloy Watanabe's or Minilite. Hehehhehe ...ahhhh damn pale

A real minilite


An for the record I would get the XXR's because of price. The only thing I don't like about the XXR's is the multi-drilled thing. That is almost enough to push me to go with a Rota RB (any offset you can dream up) or Konig Rewind (15x7 et20 only)

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jhall
Rank 9
Rank 9
avatar

Number of posts : 2058
Vehicle : Ruckus/91 MX5
Registration date : 2009-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Stance opinion?   January 15th 2011, 6:31 pm

a buddy of mine had 13x8 rota rbs with fat r comps on them, on a jetta just like yours and it looked unreal, poked hard and looked sick
Back to top Go down
View user profile
240sxy
Rank 9
Rank 9
avatar

Number of posts : 3560
Registration date : 2008-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Stance opinion?   January 15th 2011, 6:53 pm

watanabe's have been around since even you were a kid, IMO thats old enough to be "OG". Legit. whatever other words you can come up with.
its one of japans OG wheels. people pay out the ass for rare sizing. the only people who care about 1960's british cars and accessories are old men who play shuffleball and ride their horses in the country side. if you wont buy them because theyre "knock-offs",and you really compare them to XXR and ROTA, there is something wrong with you. i didnt know knock-offs where quality products that cost a small fortune. sorry for all the ppl who owns those brands, but they even LOOK cheap.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Heretic
Rank 8
Rank 8
avatar

Number of posts : 1718
Age : 21
Vehicle : MKII Jetta
Location : Regina
Registration date : 2009-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Stance opinion?   January 15th 2011, 7:35 pm

I got it, if you stole the design a long time ago then it's all cool, but if you stole it recently your not. That's an easy one to remember. I might stock on some Rota's and XXR's and keep them NIB, in 20-30 years they will be 'Legit' as fuck and I can eBay them all. Rolling Eyes

But seriously I'm of the personal belief I don't care if a wheel is a replica, not at all, not even one little bit. Rota's, Konig, Axis, XXR, whatever. I can still appreciate it when a car has TE37's because I know they are forged, strong as hell and light not because they are more money. But if it's rockin' Rota Grids, I like it all the same.

I know you're one of the guys who bashes Rota's and other like that. I don't like you 16 year old BS answer about it's ok because Wanatabe is Japanese as fuck and they stole the design back in the 70's. That doesn't cut it, that's a crap answer. They didn't do the R&D on it, they didn't pay a designer, they didn't test it flaws. After that wheel was out and successful, they reverse engineered it (that means they stole it) just like anybody else who is selling a minilite.

Also are the cast aluminum Wanatabe's really better then a Rota RB? (of course the Forged and Magnesium stuff is) but I'm pretty sure Wanatabe cast minilite, which weighs about 0.5 lbs more then a Rota RB is pretty much the same in overall strength and performance. They are both low pressure cast aluminum of the exact same design.

But you can tell your hard parking buddies these are legit Wanatabe's, which is awesome because they stole design way before Rota did.

But that all makes sense. Everybody is looking somewhere for new and fresh inspiration. So they have started looking at what people where doing back in the day. Well it turns out they were putting Wanatabe's on their cars back in the day. Why do you think they did that? Wanatabe's certainly cost less back in the 70's for them to buy them importing Mini-lites from England. They were made locally in Japan, it just solved a logistical problem for them. They proved the test of time, and now they are desirable.

By all logical reasoning in 20-30 years time, when Rota's and others have proven the test of time, nobody will be all up in the shit anymore about it.

Like I said personally I think the hate on Reps is childish, and I blame Mark Arsenal and his crew for making it even worse. They pretty much cram Work wheels down your throat as the only wheel worth buying. And created this hate towards anything affordable. Every 2nd person I talk to lately is like a zombie...must have work wheels, must have, must have... There is lots of other 2 and 3pc forged wheels on the market.


Yeah but anyways, I'll do what I do. Any pics of those RB's on that Jetta?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Golks
Rank 5
Rank 5
avatar

Number of posts : 582
Age : 40
Vehicle : '98 Honda
Location : Regina
Registration date : 2008-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Stance opinion?   January 15th 2011, 7:50 pm

GASP!!!

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dodo-logic.ca
240sxy
Rank 9
Rank 9
avatar

Number of posts : 3560
Registration date : 2008-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Stance opinion?   January 15th 2011, 7:59 pm

proof watanabe didnt do R&D and deliberatly knocked off minilites and ill actually read the rest of what you need to say.

you say you dont like my "16 year old answer". i dont like your 16 year old attitude. you made a thread of stance OPINIONS.

ill go tell my hardparking buddies that you want to join the trend of stance and hardpark too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Noops
Rank 8
Rank 8
avatar

Number of posts : 1749
Age : 28
Vehicle : 02 Audi A6
Location : Qc Sask
Registration date : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Stance opinion?   January 15th 2011, 8:55 pm

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.honda-tech.com
Heretic
Rank 8
Rank 8
avatar

Number of posts : 1718
Age : 21
Vehicle : MKII Jetta
Location : Regina
Registration date : 2009-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Stance opinion?   January 15th 2011, 9:29 pm

240sxy wrote:
proof watanabe didnt do R&D and deliberatly knocked off minilites and ill actually read the rest of what you need to say.

you say you dont like my "16 year old answer". i dont like your 16 year old attitude. you made a thread of stance OPINIONS.

ill go tell my hardparking buddies that you want to join the trend of stance and hardpark too.

I didn't mean you as in 'you specifically', I mean hardparking in general. I feel a lot of that 'legit' and 'rep' crap is spread by people you do nothing more then roll into various shows and parking lots. A lot of guys are putting hardlaps in on Rota's and other replica's. Those wheels get bashed just because they are low priced.

Yes it is true I did ask for opinions. And I am semi-half ass jumping on the stance thing. I have always wanted the wheels to be flush with the fender lips, just now thinking about doing something about it. It's addictive it's like the more cars I see with great fitment, they more I want that for my car. Wheels really set the tone for the whole car.

More info on that Enkei Minilite!?

I might start browsing random forum classifieds and try to find a set of something old school, deep dish and 4x100. Like SSR Star Sharks, or Enkei 92's but with some lip. I can really fit anything from a 13 - 16" on a VW, so the options are pretty open.


Also come on really Wanatabe didn't R&D anything. But that doesn't mean they don't make a great wheel, hell theirs might be better then the Minilites. Shelby made his own version of it too, lots of really high end company's have made that wheel. Compomotive, Panasport, etc. Actually come to think of it, Panasport probably makes the every best minilite.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
locked2
Rank 3
Rank 3


Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2008-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Stance opinion?   January 15th 2011, 11:52 pm

I will just buy the Braid or Team Dynamics wheels and not worry about failure. I have seen first hand cheap wheels (yeah they are called wheels, not rims...) fail. It really does come down to you got to pay to play. Not "mad tyte JDM style hard park" I'm not cool unless I have a certain wheel. It just takes a little understanding and buy a wheel that doesn't split when you hit a pothole.

I really do not understand everything right now, where you buy a 9" wide wheel and stetch a tire on it, the point of a wider wheel is more contact patch with the CORRECT size tire. So fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, your cool, and fuck you I'm out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
c.mayer
Rank 4
Rank 4


Number of posts : 264
Vehicle : Delica, 2004 harley custom
Location : Regina
Registration date : 2008-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Stance opinion?   January 16th 2011, 2:06 am

Heretic wrote:
I got it, if you stole the design a long time ago then it's all cool, but if you stole it recently your not. That's an easy one to remember. I might stock on some Rota's and XXR's and keep them NIB, in 20-30 years they will be 'Legit' as fuck and I can eBay them all. Rolling Eyes

But seriously I'm of the personal belief I don't care if a wheel is a replica, not at all, not even one little bit. Rota's, Konig, Axis, XXR, whatever. I can still appreciate it when a car has TE37's because I know they are forged, strong as hell and light not because they are more money. But if it's rockin' Rota Grids, I like it all the same.

I know you're one of the guys who bashes Rota's and other like that. I don't like you 16 year old BS answer about it's ok because Wanatabe is Japanese as fuck and they stole the design back in the 70's. That doesn't cut it, that's a crap answer. They didn't do the R&D on it, they didn't pay a designer, they didn't test it flaws. After that wheel was out and successful, they reverse engineered it (that means they stole it) just like anybody else who is selling a minilite.

Also are the cast aluminum Wanatabe's really better then a Rota RB? (of course the Forged and Magnesium stuff is) but I'm pretty sure Wanatabe cast minilite, which weighs about 0.5 lbs more then a Rota RB is pretty much the same in overall strength and performance. They are both low pressure cast aluminum of the exact same design.

But you can tell your hard parking buddies these are legit Wanatabe's, which is awesome because they stole design way before Rota did.

But that all makes sense. Everybody is looking somewhere for new and fresh inspiration. So they have started looking at what people where doing back in the day. Well it turns out they were putting Wanatabe's on their cars back in the day. Why do you think they did that? Wanatabe's certainly cost less back in the 70's for them to buy them importing Mini-lites from England. They were made locally in Japan, it just solved a logistical problem for them. They proved the test of time, and now they are desirable.

By all logical reasoning in 20-30 years time, when Rota's and others have proven the test of time, nobody will be all up in the shit anymore about it.

Like I said personally I think the hate on Reps is childish, and I blame Mark Arsenal and his crew for making it even worse. They pretty much cram Work wheels down your throat as the only wheel worth buying. And created this hate towards anything affordable. Every 2nd person I talk to lately is like a zombie...must have work wheels, must have, must have... There is lots of other 2 and 3pc forged wheels on the market.


Yeah but anyways, I'll do what I do. Any pics of those RB's on that Jetta?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
1eightySX
Rank 9
Rank 9
avatar

Number of posts : 3807
Registration date : 2008-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Stance opinion?   January 16th 2011, 4:41 am

HHHHHMMMMMM..... Stealing ideas is what made this Nation great. If it wasn't for the Honeymooners, we wouldn't have the Flinstones. If it wasn't Kurosawa we wouldn't have Star Wars. No Iphone, no Samsung Galaxy. So you take your communist ideals and hit the bricks!

Really I could care what wheels you put on your car. I think, I even told you to buy the knock offs, hell I would put those on my Datsun if it ever runs. This is where I throw a wrench into your argument. I arguably like Mark Arcenal and what he does more then anybody here ( well maybe one other persons likes him more) and I am the one saying to consider knock offs. Also, if you visit their site you would see they have this debate a lot. It is mostly for the Honda posts on there other themed blogs.

In the end buy whatever turns that frown upside down, but don't justifying it by knocking what others like, say and or do. Very Happy

Side note: Arguing with Adrian about wheels is like trying to justify new Honda style to Brayden.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dodo-logic.ca
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Stance opinion?   

Back to top Go down
 
Stance opinion?
Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Queen City Automotive :: Automotive :: General-
Jump to: