Queen City Automotive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Spark Plug Wires

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Nigel
Admin
Admin
Nigel

Number of posts : 319
Vehicle : 1991 Honda Civic
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Spark Plug Wires Empty
PostSubject: Spark Plug Wires   Spark Plug Wires Icon_minitimeFebruary 11th 2008, 11:11 pm

Today, I decided to check my spark plug wires. It was lucky I did, as one of them was broken, with the wire barely making a connection. I quickly got new wires, and am interested in finding out if it will improve my fuel consumption. Hopefully I wasn't driving like that for too long. Sad
Back to top Go down
corey
Admin
Admin
corey

Number of posts : 4758
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Spark Plug Wires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spark Plug Wires   Spark Plug Wires Icon_minitimeFebruary 11th 2008, 11:18 pm

Did you discover any oil in the sparkplugs??
Back to top Go down
Nigel
Admin
Admin
Nigel

Spark Plug Wires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spark Plug Wires   Spark Plug Wires Icon_minitimeFebruary 11th 2008, 11:20 pm

Sadly, the first cylinder had a bit of oil in it. Im gonna get it checked out. Hopefully just a simple gasket and nothing huge.
Back to top Go down
Rob
Rank 9
Rank 9
Rob

Number of posts : 3105
Vehicle : Jeep XJ / 2013 Mustang 5.0
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Spark Plug Wires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spark Plug Wires   Spark Plug Wires Icon_minitimeFebruary 11th 2008, 11:34 pm

If you have oil "just" in the the spark plug hole, that would indicate a bad valvecover gasket. But if theres oil on the plug that would indicate you've got oil coming from somewhere else. Either problem with the rings, or just valve stem seals or guides leaking. Does it only do this when its been sitting awhile? If you drive for lets say 10 mins and check them is there oil? If so id bet on rings.
Back to top Go down
Nigel
Admin
Admin
Nigel

Spark Plug Wires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spark Plug Wires   Spark Plug Wires Icon_minitimeFebruary 11th 2008, 11:45 pm

It was just in the hole, and only for one cylinder. I checked it after it had been running, but I'm gonna check again tomorrow morning.
Back to top Go down
Rob
Rank 9
Rank 9
Rob

Spark Plug Wires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spark Plug Wires   Spark Plug Wires Icon_minitimeFebruary 12th 2008, 12:05 am

This reminds me.. I need to replace my plug wires come spring time. 160k and mine still look decent but it wouldnt hurt to replace them along with new fuel filter. My plugs are new, NGK V-power FTW!
Back to top Go down
Justin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Number of posts : 363
Vehicle : 00' GSR
Registration date : 2008-02-12

Spark Plug Wires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spark Plug Wires   Spark Plug Wires Icon_minitimeFebruary 12th 2008, 12:29 am

I'm having sparkplug issues with my car aswell Crying or Very sad On occasion when I give er' balls everything will be going fine... until I realize atleast one of the plugs has come off and it starts to run on three cylinders. Should I just buy new plugs or what? Really started to get annoying.

EDIT: I should probably mention it's a dohc 2000 gsr.
Back to top Go down
corey
Admin
Admin
corey

Spark Plug Wires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spark Plug Wires   Spark Plug Wires Icon_minitimeFebruary 12th 2008, 12:31 am

Justin wrote:
I'm having sparkplug issues with my car aswell Crying or Very sad On occasion when I give er' balls everything will be going fine... until I realize atleast one of the plugs has come off and it starts to run on three cylinders. Should I just buy new plugs or what? Really started to get annoying.

EDIT: I should probably mention it's a dohc 2000 gsr.
I've never heard of that happening before.
Getting a Tech to take a look at that wouldn't be a bad idea.
Back to top Go down
Rob
Rank 9
Rank 9
Rob

Spark Plug Wires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spark Plug Wires   Spark Plug Wires Icon_minitimeFebruary 12th 2008, 12:31 am

What kind of car? If its worth it just buy new ones, or are they new and just not seating properly?

Post a pic of your engine please!
Back to top Go down
corey
Admin
Admin
corey

Spark Plug Wires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spark Plug Wires   Spark Plug Wires Icon_minitimeFebruary 12th 2008, 12:44 am

Justin, sounds like your spark plug thread is hooped.
You may need to rethread it, get this checked out asap don't put it off.
Also, Does your check engine CEL come on?
Back to top Go down
Justin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Spark Plug Wires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spark Plug Wires   Spark Plug Wires Icon_minitimeFebruary 12th 2008, 12:46 am

///M3 wrote:
Justin, sounds like your spark plug thread is hooped.
You may need to rethread it, get this checked out asap don't put it off.
Also, Does your check engine CEL come on?

Dam thing is always on haha
Back to top Go down
Rob
Rank 9
Rank 9
Rob

Spark Plug Wires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spark Plug Wires   Spark Plug Wires Icon_minitimeFebruary 12th 2008, 1:23 pm

Lets clear this up.. Is the spark plug WIRE coming loose, or is the SPARKPLUG itself, coming loose?

Reason your getting the CEL is probably a code for a # X cylinder missfire
Back to top Go down
Justin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Spark Plug Wires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spark Plug Wires   Spark Plug Wires Icon_minitimeFebruary 12th 2008, 6:17 pm

Supra_mk2 wrote:
Lets clear this up.. Is the spark plug WIRE coming loose, or is the SPARKPLUG itself, coming loose?

Reason your getting the CEL is probably a code for a # X cylinder missfire

It is the wire coming off of the distributor cap. I went outside and expanded all of the metal inside the end of the cord, so NOW when i connect it I can hear the metal go CLICK... before, it was just the weather proofing boot holdinging it on, I don't know if my problem is solved or not but CEL is still on. WHen I first got the car in september it never came on, but started to come on as it got colder outside and once the car would warm up the CEL would come on, now it is always, always on.. though it is like -30 every day. I'm currently convinced it's just an emissions thing, seeing as my car has yet to explode.
Back to top Go down
Rob
Rank 9
Rank 9
Rob

Spark Plug Wires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spark Plug Wires   Spark Plug Wires Icon_minitimeFebruary 12th 2008, 11:31 pm

What you can do is disconect the negative battery cable for 10 to 20 mins then reconnect it and it should clear the codes and the CEL should be off. If the CEL comes on again get the car scanned to see what code it is throwing to find out the real problem
Back to top Go down
Nigel
Admin
Admin
Nigel

Spark Plug Wires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spark Plug Wires   Spark Plug Wires Icon_minitimeFebruary 12th 2008, 11:35 pm

I changed my wires and plugs today, and found the seals to be wrecked. Looks like im gettin a new valve cover gasket.
Back to top Go down
Rob
Rank 9
Rank 9
Rob

Spark Plug Wires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spark Plug Wires   Spark Plug Wires Icon_minitimeFebruary 12th 2008, 11:43 pm

I should probably replace my valve cover gasket aswell one of these days. Last fall I had to temporarily put silicone (make a gasket) on instead because new gasket is near 30$ for mine. But I probably wont do this until it leaks again..

Damn plastic valve covers..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Spark Plug Wires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spark Plug Wires   Spark Plug Wires Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spark Plug Wires
Page 1 of 1