Queen City Automotive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

3rd time the charm?

Go down 
+2
Heretic
JDN
6 posters
AuthorMessage
JDN
Rank 3
Rank 3
JDN

Number of posts : 154
Vehicle : Omega
Registration date : 2010-05-18

3rd time the charm? Empty
PostSubject: 3rd time the charm?   3rd time the charm? Icon_minitimeSeptember 2nd 2010, 12:03 am

Two blown turbos-- reason is the exhaust blades blew. I turned on the car to make sure that oil was coming out of the lines because i thought it wasn't getting any thus making it blow. But oil went everywhere when i turned it on so I dont think thats the problem.. DO YOU know what the problem could be?

pic:

[img]https://servimg.com/view/15327199/9]3rd time the charm? 15
Back to top Go down
Heretic
Rank 8
Rank 8
Heretic

Number of posts : 1718
Vehicle : MKII Jetta
Registration date : 2009-09-12

PostSubject: Re: 3rd time the charm?   3rd time the charm? Icon_minitimeSeptember 2nd 2010, 1:24 am

How exactly are they blowing? Are the seals popping out of them and they are puking oil everywhere? Are they seizing up? Aare you sucking in foreign material (rocks and small animals) what exactly is happening to them.?
Back to top Go down
kyles_r32
Rank 4
Rank 4
kyles_r32

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: 3rd time the charm?   3rd time the charm? Icon_minitimeSeptember 2nd 2010, 1:20 pm

do you have a wideband? maybe its running to lean...
Back to top Go down
_....
Rank 4
Rank 4

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2008-03-16

PostSubject: Re: 3rd time the charm?   3rd time the charm? Icon_minitimeSeptember 2nd 2010, 2:07 pm

What else is done to your car? Something is for sure wrong if this has happened to more than one turbo. If I were you I would do some research around the internet to find causes of damaged turbine blades. But don't just throw another turbo on there til you find what the cause is.
Back to top Go down
JDN
Rank 3
Rank 3
JDN

PostSubject: Re: 3rd time the charm?   3rd time the charm? Icon_minitimeSeptember 2nd 2010, 2:39 pm

Heretic wrote:
How exactly are they blowing? Are the seals popping out of them and they are puking oil everywhere? Are they seizing up? Aare you sucking in foreign material (rocks and small animals) what exactly is happening to them.?

No seals are popping because there is no oil when i blew em twice. First time i was on the highway and i slowly lost boost. Second time I was in high RPM and it blew and same thing, slowly lost boost. Nothing is on the turbo no boost gauge or anything. No wide band either. The blades just seem to disappear.
Back to top Go down
240sxy
Rank 9
Rank 9
240sxy

Number of posts : 3560
Registration date : 2008-02-19

PostSubject: Re: 3rd time the charm?   3rd time the charm? Icon_minitimeSeptember 2nd 2010, 2:55 pm

JDN wrote:
no boost gauge or anything. .

Back to top Go down
Heretic
Rank 8
Rank 8
Heretic

PostSubject: Re: 3rd time the charm?   3rd time the charm? Icon_minitimeSeptember 2nd 2010, 3:16 pm

Well that sounds like yout exhaust turbine fins are quite literally melting away. This is caused by excessively high EGT's, which can be caused by several things.

*Running lean - but since you said the motor was stock, it could be a failing fuel pump, bad regulator (double check the vacuum line to the regulator) or dirty as sin injectors, or even low voltage getting to the injectors/bad ground connections.

Plugged up exhaust system - failng (plugged) cat or muffler, crimped or badly bent down pipe. What exhaust is on your car?

incorrect (retarded) ignition timing shoots up EGT's! Start by confirming the engine timing. (I'm not even sure you can adjust a Skyline's ignition timing without a piggyback or aftermarket ignition system of some sort anyways)

Most turbos are seriously already on the ragged edge of heat they can take, especially with a stock restrictive exhaust in place. It's not hard to get a stock turbo on a stock car to be glowing red hot in a very short amount of time. Start looking into lowering you're EGT's, or you're just going to keep replacing turbos.

Sparkplugs are also a nice window in the what's going on. If they are too clean, you're too lean. Should be a nice tan colour (and if you run Mohawk gas, the insulator will be a reddish colour) But they can also show you if you do not have enough timing. (but only if they are of stock heat range) You notice on any sparkplug you have ever pulled out the ground strap has a defined point that goes from being sooty to much cleaner. That point tells the story of how much timing you are running.

If most of you ground strap is dirty and just the tip is clean, much too retarded. Normally should be about the halfway point, or about the corner. If it's clean right down to the threads, you probably have too much timing advance. But be aware different heat range plugs will alter this method of reading a bit.

3rd time the charm? Spark%20plug%20reading%204
Back to top Go down
JDN
Rank 3
Rank 3
JDN

PostSubject: Re: 3rd time the charm?   3rd time the charm? Icon_minitimeSeptember 2nd 2010, 10:09 pm

Thank you for that post, much apprecaited.
Back to top Go down
Heretic
Rank 8
Rank 8
Heretic

PostSubject: Re: 3rd time the charm?   3rd time the charm? Icon_minitimeSeptember 3rd 2010, 9:51 am

In regards to timing: a faulty knock sensor reading will lead to pulled timing. If the knock sensor starts picking up knock (which is sometimes not there at all) it start pulling lots of timing. So that is something to consider if you get to a point and go "now what!". But I just checked google and it turns out you can time a RB20 motor with a basic timing light. So check that very first, it's the easiest thing to do. I'm sure you can find the procedure for it somewhere on the interwebz. You know or Zimmer probably knows how to do it.

Let us know what you find out? If the exhaust/downpipe is stock on that car, I would change that anyways, it always lower EGT's regardless. Your Turbo will thank you! Especially if there is a Cat in that sytem, get it gone! (Although I've never seen a Skyrine with a stock exhaust, I would almost believe those cars leave the factory without one installed Razz )

Back to top Go down
kyles_r32
Rank 4
Rank 4
kyles_r32

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: 3rd time the charm?   3rd time the charm? Icon_minitimeSeptember 3rd 2010, 1:16 pm

gtrcananda.com = your new best friend!!!!
Back to top Go down
JDN
Rank 3
Rank 3
JDN

PostSubject: Re: 3rd time the charm?   3rd time the charm? Icon_minitimeSeptember 4th 2010, 2:10 am

Heretic wrote:
In regards to timing: a faulty knock sensor reading will lead to pulled timing. If the knock sensor starts picking up knock (which is sometimes not there at all) it start pulling lots of timing. So that is something to consider if you get to a point and go "now what!". But I just checked google and it turns out you can time a RB20 motor with a basic timing light. So check that very first, it's the easiest thing to do. I'm sure you can find the procedure for it somewhere on the interwebz. You know or Zimmer probably knows how to do it.

Let us know what you find out? If the exhaust/downpipe is stock on that car, I would change that anyways, it always lower EGT's regardless. Your Turbo will thank you! Especially if there is a Cat in that sytem, get it gone! (Although I've never seen a Skyrine with a stock exhaust, I would almost believe those cars leave the factory without one installed Razz )

I just did the timing blet and got a new downpipe when the first turbo blew. I should be checking the list you posted earlier saturday.
Back to top Go down
Jason-
Rank 3
Rank 3
Jason-

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-02-20

PostSubject: Re: 3rd time the charm?   3rd time the charm? Icon_minitimeSeptember 4th 2010, 4:57 pm

Get a boost gauge.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 3rd time the charm?   3rd time the charm? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

3rd time the charm?
Page 1 of 1