Queen City Automotive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

BOV's - Not harmful to MAF-based cars?

Go down 
+3
Marshal
corey
Black
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Black
Rank 8
Rank 8
Black

Number of posts : 1526
Registration date : 2008-02-22

BOV's - Not harmful to MAF-based cars? Empty
PostSubject: BOV's - Not harmful to MAF-based cars?   BOV's - Not harmful to MAF-based cars? Icon_minitimeDecember 3rd 2009, 11:11 pm

So just read through this thread. Basically says a BOV will cause no harm to MAF based cars(The whole mega rich situation between shifts people mention)

This is from a Subaru forum, but I believe can be applied to all turbocharged vehicles.

What do you guys think?
This goes against what I understood

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1602235
Back to top Go down
corey
Admin
Admin
corey

Number of posts : 4758
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: BOV's - Not harmful to MAF-based cars?   BOV's - Not harmful to MAF-based cars? Icon_minitimeDecember 3rd 2009, 11:42 pm

I vented my Stock 2G bov and it killed drivability, it would idle like garbage and the odd time even stall out. I got a Forged Performance Bov now that is vented as well but does not leak at all. However I'd just go a recirc setup anyways, better response.
Back to top Go down
Marshal
Rank 9
Rank 9
Marshal

Number of posts : 2780
Vehicle : Nothing nice
Registration date : 2008-02-29

PostSubject: Re: BOV's - Not harmful to MAF-based cars?   BOV's - Not harmful to MAF-based cars? Icon_minitimeDecember 4th 2009, 8:46 am

Listen to Corey.

I ran that Forge one on my subaru, and it was great, no leaks, idled fine and everything. But I switched back to the stock one for a reason... Better in every way, except the lack of noise. The car was noticably faster with the factory setting,

I ran a Turbo XS BOV(bad idea anyways) on the Merkur, and spent forever matching spring rates to vacuum levels, and in the end, I wish I would have went with a resirc one. You remember that car, there was alot of lag between shifts. They really are that much better and do reduce the lag between shifts.

Other than that, people argue that it causes damage to the engine, thats debatable, seeing as how your will probably run rich under boost(correction:definately run rich), how bad can a momentary rich period be? It will obviously be bad for your catalitic converter if you still have one, it will also coat your o2 sensors that are downstream from the turbo(but, you don't have any in your subaru, it is pre-turbo).

If you want more noise, then go for a hybrid valve, you can get those for these cars. I am just looking into a aftermarket resirc valve, that is *stronger* than the factory one, so to say, becasue I noticed the factory valve flutters under my factory boost conditions, and while this has been confirmed as normal, I would like something that is crisp.

actually, go with a BOV, that way, I will be faster Razz
Back to top Go down
subbie
Rank 9
Rank 9

Number of posts : 4383
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: BOV's - Not harmful to MAF-based cars?   BOV's - Not harmful to MAF-based cars? Icon_minitimeDecember 4th 2009, 9:09 am

BLACK wrote:
So just read through this thread. Basically says a BOV will cause no harm to MAF based cars(The whole mega rich situation between shifts people mention)

This is from a Subaru forum, but I believe can be applied to all turbocharged vehicles.

What do you guys think?
This goes against what I understood

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1602235

lol....

you want to recirc it, trust me....I had a VTA on my wrx when i first bought it and it was sluggish, rich and idled like really rough. Any SMART subaru owner will tell you right of the bat to buy a recirc or just keep the stock one. Stock bov can handle up to almost 25psi. And im sure yours will hold even more than my stock plastic bov, lol
Back to top Go down
subbie
Rank 9
Rank 9

PostSubject: Re: BOV's - Not harmful to MAF-based cars?   BOV's - Not harmful to MAF-based cars? Icon_minitimeDecember 4th 2009, 9:17 am

and also in the long run it will do some damage. Running really rich all the time isn't good...dumping fuel in your engine to match air coming in, which now isn't there, is something that I wouldn't want to continue doing to my car, unless you had a proper tune to match this. A friend of mine in calgary has a fully built STi with 500+whp. He has a hks ssqv bov but has tuned it so its not making the mistake of dumping more fuel than it should be.

I would say unless your tuned for it, than keep to recirc. I know Perrin's recirc bov is really good! holds up to any amount of psi your turbo can make...just remember to tighten the bracket to the bov really well (mine exploded)
Back to top Go down
1eightySX
Rank 9
Rank 9
1eightySX

Number of posts : 3807
Registration date : 2008-03-02

PostSubject: Re: BOV's - Not harmful to MAF-based cars?   BOV's - Not harmful to MAF-based cars? Icon_minitimeDecember 4th 2009, 10:20 am

lol....

you want to recirc it, trust me....I had a VTA on my wrx when i first bought it and it was sluggish, rich and idled like really rough. Any SMART subaru owner will tell you it doesn't matter if you win by an inch or mile or right of the bat to buy a recirc or just keep the stock one. Stock bov can handle up to almost 25psi. And im sure yours will hold even more than my stock plastic bov, lol[/quote]

Fixed for Adam AKA DOM of the Subie underground
Back to top Go down
http://www.dodo-logic.ca
stewzy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-12-01

PostSubject: Re: BOV's - Not harmful to MAF-based cars?   BOV's - Not harmful to MAF-based cars? Icon_minitimeDecember 4th 2009, 11:52 am

lol thanks ryan... haha
Back to top Go down
Black
Rank 8
Rank 8
Black

Number of posts : 1526
Registration date : 2008-02-22

PostSubject: Re: BOV's - Not harmful to MAF-based cars?   BOV's - Not harmful to MAF-based cars? Icon_minitimeDecember 4th 2009, 12:19 pm

I wasn't saying this for myself. I DON'T want a BOV I will leave the stock recirc until it fails, then replace it with probably another stock one, just wondering what you guys thought about it.

Yeah Marshal I remember the Merkur, that was a PITA.
Back to top Go down
stewzy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-12-01

PostSubject: Re: BOV's - Not harmful to MAF-based cars?   BOV's - Not harmful to MAF-based cars? Icon_minitimeDecember 5th 2009, 2:27 am

lol well this thread died quick....thats how good qca is now a days
Back to top Go down
Noops
Rank 8
Rank 8
Noops

Number of posts : 1749
Vehicle : 02 Audi A6
Registration date : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: BOV's - Not harmful to MAF-based cars?   BOV's - Not harmful to MAF-based cars? Icon_minitimeDecember 5th 2009, 3:00 am

1eightySX wrote:
lol....

you want to recirc it, trust me....I had a VTA on my wrx when i first bought it and it was sluggish, rich and idled like really rough. Any SMART subaru owner will tell you it doesn't matter if you win by an inch or mile or right of the bat to buy a recirc or just keep the stock one. Stock bov can handle up to almost 25psi. And im sure yours will hold even more than my stock plastic bov, lol

Ians 04 wrx has a aftermarket perrin reccirculating and it can hold max 17lbs
Back to top Go down
http://www.honda-tech.com
subbie
Rank 9
Rank 9

PostSubject: Re: BOV's - Not harmful to MAF-based cars?   BOV's - Not harmful to MAF-based cars? Icon_minitimeDecember 5th 2009, 11:11 am

Noops H2 wrote:
1eightySX wrote:
lol....

you want to recirc it, trust me....I had a VTA on my wrx when i first bought it and it was sluggish, rich and idled like really rough. Any SMART subaru owner will tell you it doesn't matter if you win by an inch or mile or right of the bat to buy a recirc or just keep the stock one. Stock bov can handle up to almost 25psi. And im sure yours will hold even more than my stock plastic bov, lol

lol tell Ian he needs to do more research...it can handle any boost your turbo can make.

Quote :

PERRIN PERFORMANCE
Inefficient factory blow off valves (BOV) can hinder boost responseduring shifts and can limit the amount of boost pressure that can bebuilt by your turbocharger. PERRIN™️ offers, for your Legacy GT, 08WRX or 04-07 STi/WRX, a BOV that can handle any amount of boost your turbo can create!

For clients that demand idle quality, and the best in drivability weoffer a fully recirculated BOV. Like the stock BOV, the PERRIN recircBOV keeps the vented air in the intake system to keep the ECU happy andrunning smooth. BOV's that vent to atmosphere can run rich betweenshifts causing backfires, can cause idle issues, and part throttledrivability on cars that have MAF sensors. This is due to metered air,the ECU thinks is being ingested by the engine, being expelled to theatmosphere. Popular cars with MAF sensors, are all Subaru WRX, STI,Legacy GT, Forester XT, Mitsubishi Evolution 8-10, Nissan GT-R, andmany other popular turbo cars.

With the PERRIN BOV, there is no reason to add more washers or changethe spring to allow it to hold more boost. Our BOV works very differentthan others in that there is no need to have a spring to hold boost! The boost pressure is put on the back of the piston to keep it closed,and helps keep the piston from lifting prematurely. This allows theBOV to hold more than an almost unlimited amount of boost!

and also I'm running 21.5lbs of boost on my STOCK bov and its doing just fine!
Back to top Go down
1eightySX
Rank 9
Rank 9
1eightySX

Number of posts : 3807
Registration date : 2008-03-02

PostSubject: Re: BOV's - Not harmful to MAF-based cars?   BOV's - Not harmful to MAF-based cars? Icon_minitimeDecember 5th 2009, 2:06 pm

Noops H2 wrote:
1eightySX wrote:
lol....

Why are we quoting me? I was just making fun of Adam. lol

I don't care ether way, also Adam is friends with Perrin so I will take him at his word.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dodo-logic.ca
subbie
Rank 9
Rank 9

PostSubject: Re: BOV's - Not harmful to MAF-based cars?   BOV's - Not harmful to MAF-based cars? Icon_minitimeDecember 7th 2009, 9:32 am

YA lol me and Adam Taft are facebook friends, no big deal lol haha (CEO of Perrin)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BOV's - Not harmful to MAF-based cars?   BOV's - Not harmful to MAF-based cars? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

BOV's - Not harmful to MAF-based cars?
Page 1 of 1