Queen City Automotive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

short shift

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Jhall
Rank 9
Rank 9
Jhall

Number of posts : 2058
Vehicle : Ruckus/91 MX5
Registration date : 2009-04-06

short shift Empty
PostSubject: short shift   short shift Icon_minitimeAugust 25th 2009, 3:07 am

k so i want to do a short shifter, i have found kits that range from 30 bucks to 300.

now here is my question, is this a simply enough mod, that buying ebay stuff isn't a big deal because i really don't want to spend 300 to shorten my throw...

thoughts?
Back to top Go down
abs0Lut
Rank 9
Rank 9
abs0Lut

Number of posts : 2214
Vehicle : '95 EJ1
Registration date : 2009-04-13

short shift Empty
PostSubject: Re: short shift   short shift Icon_minitimeAugust 25th 2009, 3:08 am

cut your existing shifter and dye cut new threads on it. cheapest way to do it! Razz
Back to top Go down
Black
Rank 8
Rank 8
Black

Number of posts : 1526
Registration date : 2008-02-22

short shift Empty
PostSubject: Re: short shift   short shift Icon_minitimeAugust 25th 2009, 3:12 am

abs0Lut wrote:
cut your existing shifter and dye cut new threads on it. cheapest way to do it! Razz
I'm not totally sure if that will work. It will give you the look, but i think the pivot point needs to change by moving the pivot closer to the top so a smaller movement on the top translates to a bigger movement below the pivot?

I could be 100% wrong though as I'm going on a very vague memory of this long ago. Also I'm tired. If I am wrong please don't rip me a new one Adrian. Thanks Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Marshal
Rank 9
Rank 9
Marshal

Number of posts : 2780
Vehicle : Nothing nice
Registration date : 2008-02-29

short shift Empty
PostSubject: Re: short shift   short shift Icon_minitimeAugust 25th 2009, 3:34 am

jordan is comepltely rights.

Ok, seeing as how I bought BOTH a ebay shifter, and a B&M shifter for my BMW here's what I have to say:
ebay-$45 shipped.

I had to heat up the rod, and bend it a bit, I also had to cut a new c-clip ring into it to get it to fit right.
No real problem at all.
It shortened the throw alot, the shifter was still the same height as the factory one though.
shiny

B&M-$383 shipped to my door
No modifications needed.
notchy.
still jsut as short as the ebay one.

I highly recommend wrapping the shift rod selector(goes from shifter-tranny) with lead. IT just helps increase the inertia of the shift, reducing effort. You could also jsut wrap the shifter. Don;t buy the lead, I have lots at my house you can have.

If I were to do it again, I would jsut go with the ebay one.
Read some reviews on the ebay-version one for your car, see if any modifications are needed, or if it jsut bolts in and is good to go.
Back to top Go down
Jhall
Rank 9
Rank 9
Jhall

short shift Empty
PostSubject: Re: short shift   short shift Icon_minitimeAugust 25th 2009, 4:04 am

okay sweet, ya thats what i was looking for, an experience, thanks marshal! what did you pay for the ebay one you bought?

and absolute, i don't want the shifter height shortened, i want the throw shortened, im actaully double the height of the stock shifter. sorta like a rally looking the or whatever ha but it will need to be a shorter throw, if i want a longer shifter
Back to top Go down
Marshal
Rank 9
Rank 9
Marshal

Number of posts : 2780
Vehicle : Nothing nice
Registration date : 2008-02-29

short shift Empty
PostSubject: Re: short shift   short shift Icon_minitimeAugust 25th 2009, 4:10 am

Jhall wrote:
okay sweet, ya thats what i was looking for, an experience, thanks marshal! what did you pay for the ebay one you bought?

and absolute, i don't want the shifter height shortened, i want the throw shortened, im actaully double the height of the stock shifter. sorta like a rally looking the or whatever ha but it will need to be a shorter throw, if i want a longer shifter

I payed $45 shipped. this was 2 years ago. the now cost like $20.

If you want to lengthen your shifter(like the height) I would consider the negativities.
-Its a lever, the higher up, the more pressure you are going to put on things if you hurry a shift, or if you have a habit of jamming it into gear or being rough with your shifter. Now, 1-2 inches isn't alot, but I see BMW/VW guys going nuts and adding like 1.5 feet to the height
Back to top Go down
Jhall
Rank 9
Rank 9
Jhall

short shift Empty
PostSubject: Re: short shift   short shift Icon_minitimeAugust 25th 2009, 4:34 am

haha i don't think it should be too bad. I want to add like half a foot, basically double the size its at, well see, i might do it and hate it haha
Back to top Go down
subbie
Rank 9
Rank 9

Number of posts : 4383
Registration date : 2008-08-29

short shift Empty
PostSubject: Re: short shift   short shift Icon_minitimeAugust 25th 2009, 10:03 am

is it the whole shifter? short shift 386

or just an adapter like mine? short shift 150_perrin_wrx_shortshifter

my perrin shift adapter only costed me $75 shipped, was super easy to install and have had no problems, look for something similar jordan!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

short shift Empty
PostSubject: Re: short shift   short shift Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

short shift
Page 1 of 1