Queen City Automotive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Painting Spoiler Myself.

Go down 
+8
Marshal
laynehip
playboyz28
corey
Jason-
Piett
Rob
Justin
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Justin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Number of posts : 363
Vehicle : 00' GSR
Registration date : 2008-02-12

Painting Spoiler Myself. Empty
PostSubject: Painting Spoiler Myself.   Painting Spoiler Myself. Icon_minitimeFebruary 24th 2008, 11:49 pm

As some of you know my car is in dire need of the spoiler to be put on, but I've been to lazy to sand and paint. I figure it can't hurt to try do it myself and I think it's got a good chance of turning out good if I do it right, if not I'll just take it to maaco. I've got some pics of how far I am and I'll keep updating as I go along.

Painting Spoiler Myself. Cimg5310
Painting Spoiler Myself. Cimg5311
Painting Spoiler Myself. Cimg5312
That was all about in the 45 minute range, probably less, still have too work on that side. (I'm not sanding right down to the plastic as I don't want to crack it or something stupid like that, just enough so that the shine is gone and the primer/paint will stick.
Back to top Go down
Rob
Rank 9
Rank 9
Rob

Number of posts : 3105
Vehicle : Jeep XJ / 2013 Mustang 5.0
Registration date : 2008-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Painting Spoiler Myself.   Painting Spoiler Myself. Icon_minitimeFebruary 24th 2008, 11:56 pm

What color do you plan to paint it? White or Black?

Or what?
Back to top Go down
Piett
Rank 9
Rank 9

Number of posts : 2625
Vehicle : 03 350z

PostSubject: Re: Painting Spoiler Myself.   Painting Spoiler Myself. Icon_minitimeFebruary 25th 2008, 12:01 am

no matter what take your time, apply thin coats of paint, and clear coat after.
Back to top Go down
Justin
Rank 4
Rank 4

PostSubject: Re: Painting Spoiler Myself.   Painting Spoiler Myself. Icon_minitimeFebruary 25th 2008, 12:08 pm

Supra wrote:
What color do you plan to paint it? White or Black?

Or what?

White, and ya I'll be takin' my time haha, probably gonna sand/prime 3 times before I start actually painting, but we'll see.
Back to top Go down
Jason-
Rank 3
Rank 3
Jason-

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-02-20

PostSubject: Re: Painting Spoiler Myself.   Painting Spoiler Myself. Icon_minitimeFebruary 25th 2008, 1:32 pm

Sand between coats as well. Progressively getting finer in grit. When you clear wet sand between coats. Use 1500-2000 grit when wet sanding your clear.
Back to top Go down
corey
Admin
Admin
corey

Number of posts : 4758
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Painting Spoiler Myself.   Painting Spoiler Myself. Icon_minitimeFebruary 25th 2008, 11:10 pm

Hmm, maybe if your not confident and are unsure then just take er to macco for a 50$ job on it haha.
Back to top Go down
Justin
Rank 4
Rank 4

PostSubject: Re: Painting Spoiler Myself.   Painting Spoiler Myself. Icon_minitimeFebruary 25th 2008, 11:29 pm

corey wrote:
Hmm, maybe if your not confident and are unsure then just take er to macco for a 50$ job on it haha.
I said I'll be doing that if this way doesn't work out haha
Back to top Go down
playboyz28
Rank 4
Rank 4
playboyz28

Number of posts : 428
Vehicle : Snap-On Tool Truck
Registration date : 2008-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Painting Spoiler Myself.   Painting Spoiler Myself. Icon_minitimeFebruary 26th 2008, 7:46 pm

I got a spoiler that i might be needing to paint..Smile
Back to top Go down
corey
Admin
Admin
corey

PostSubject: Re: Painting Spoiler Myself.   Painting Spoiler Myself. Icon_minitimeFebruary 26th 2008, 8:09 pm

"laynehip" is a master painter.
From the stuff I've seen him paint everything looks good.
Back to top Go down
laynehip
Rank 9
Rank 9
laynehip

Number of posts : 2520
Vehicle : an ibm

PostSubject: Re: Painting Spoiler Myself.   Painting Spoiler Myself. Icon_minitimeFebruary 26th 2008, 8:10 pm

i do love to paint!!!
Back to top Go down
playboyz28
Rank 4
Rank 4
playboyz28

Number of posts : 428
Vehicle : Snap-On Tool Truck

PostSubject: Re: Painting Spoiler Myself.   Painting Spoiler Myself. Icon_minitimeFebruary 26th 2008, 8:11 pm

really?....

have a white high spoiler for a 2003 hyundai elantra Smile

its red now, but its oem and its new
Back to top Go down
Justin
Rank 4
Rank 4

PostSubject: Re: Painting Spoiler Myself.   Painting Spoiler Myself. Icon_minitimeMarch 7th 2008, 12:44 pm

Yeh, I got lazy. I'll prob jut post pics of the finished product I have just finished doing a second coat of prime.
Back to top Go down
corey
Admin
Admin
corey

PostSubject: Re: Painting Spoiler Myself.   Painting Spoiler Myself. Icon_minitimeMarch 7th 2008, 5:24 pm

Justin wrote:
Yeh, I got lazy. I'll prob jut post pics of the finished product I have just finished doing a second coat of prime.
Where did you pick your paint up your using? Home depot? Or is there better stuff out there?
Back to top Go down
laynehip
Rank 9
Rank 9
laynehip

Number of posts : 2520
Vehicle : an ibm

PostSubject: Re: Painting Spoiler Myself.   Painting Spoiler Myself. Icon_minitimeMarch 7th 2008, 5:26 pm

corey there is much much better stuff out there
i spent 40 dollars on 1 can of primer when i did my rims
Back to top Go down
corey
Admin
Admin
corey

PostSubject: Re: Painting Spoiler Myself.   Painting Spoiler Myself. Icon_minitimeMarch 7th 2008, 6:43 pm

laynehip wrote:
corey there is much much better stuff out there
i spent 40 dollars on 1 can of primer when i did my rims
Where!!! is there a large variety?
Back to top Go down
Piett
Rank 9
Rank 9

Number of posts : 2625
Vehicle : 03 350z

PostSubject: Re: Painting Spoiler Myself.   Painting Spoiler Myself. Icon_minitimeMarch 7th 2008, 6:57 pm

paint stores.. scratch ?
Back to top Go down
Rob
Rank 9
Rank 9
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Painting Spoiler Myself.   Painting Spoiler Myself. Icon_minitimeMarch 7th 2008, 10:34 pm

If you have a paint code you can take it to auto electric and they can mix you up a spray can for $17
Back to top Go down
Marshal
Rank 9
Rank 9
Marshal

Number of posts : 2780
Vehicle : Nothing nice
Registration date : 2008-02-29

PostSubject: Re: Painting Spoiler Myself.   Painting Spoiler Myself. Icon_minitimeMarch 8th 2008, 1:12 pm

make sure when you paint the spoiler, you have a decently warm temperature. And dust free is a bonus. Sometimes the clear coat will orange peal if it isn't applied correctly, or if you have a shitty gun.

Supra-Were you at the north superstore filling up with gas last night? Notice the ghetto red BMW beside you? I reconised the sticker on the back, but I wasn't sure if it was you?
Back to top Go down
Rob
Rank 9
Rank 9
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Painting Spoiler Myself.   Painting Spoiler Myself. Icon_minitimeMarch 8th 2008, 6:23 pm

Yea it was me lol, just got paid so i had to fill the tank!. That little bmw looks like its got some balls lol, when you ripped it into 2nd there were sparks shootin! Studded tires im guessing? lol
Back to top Go down
Marshal
Rank 9
Rank 9
Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Painting Spoiler Myself.   Painting Spoiler Myself. Icon_minitimeMarch 9th 2008, 10:49 am

sparks huh? yea, the tires were studded, but I think maybe only the front ones has studs left on them. I need to put the worn out summer rims/tires back on that thing so I don't eat up the decent winter tires. And yea, the car is quite, um, unique lets say. the previous owner had the front seats re-covered with that red/black two tone stuff, so it looks all fast and furious I know. but other than that, with the factory LSD and 6 cyl/5-spd, it gets around pretty good. I just hope most of the roads are dry by the 28th of this month, thast when the white car is scheduled to hit the streets...
Back to top Go down
corey
Admin
Admin
corey

PostSubject: Re: Painting Spoiler Myself.   Painting Spoiler Myself. Icon_minitimeMarch 9th 2008, 1:03 pm

Shift_Now wrote:
sparks huh? yea, the tires were studded, but I think maybe only the front ones has studs left on them. I need to put the worn out summer rims/tires back on that thing so I don't eat up the decent winter tires. And yea, the car is quite, um, unique lets say. the previous owner had the front seats re-covered with that red/black two tone stuff, so it looks all fast and furious I know. but other than that, with the factory LSD and 6 cyl/5-spd, it gets around pretty good. I just hope most of the roads are dry by the 28th of this month, thast when the white car is scheduled to hit the streets...
Your not completly waiting for all the snow to be gone? When its all slushy out is the worse and when your car is going to get hussled by salt.

On a side note, any pic's of the red bimmer?
Back to top Go down
Rob
Rank 9
Rank 9
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Painting Spoiler Myself.   Painting Spoiler Myself. Icon_minitimeMarch 9th 2008, 1:20 pm

I think all the snow will be gone in a week or two anyways so there probably wont be any slush...
Back to top Go down
Justin
Rank 4
Rank 4

PostSubject: Re: Painting Spoiler Myself.   Painting Spoiler Myself. Icon_minitimeMarch 10th 2008, 2:33 pm

Almost finished.. just ran out of paint and need to pick up clear coat!
Back to top Go down
Marshal
Rank 9
Rank 9
Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Painting Spoiler Myself.   Painting Spoiler Myself. Icon_minitimeMarch 10th 2008, 6:55 pm

well the plates on the red car run out on the 28th. So if its decent, then I'll bring out the white car. But if its all slushy, then I'll take the bus to school, adn bum rides off friends till its nicve out. And I'll try to take some pics of the red car when I put the summer BBS rims on it at lunch tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
project_s13
Rank 2
Rank 2

Number of posts : 94
Vehicle : 1990 240sx
Registration date : 2008-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Painting Spoiler Myself.   Painting Spoiler Myself. Icon_minitimeMarch 16th 2008, 7:51 pm

if you want it done right your self do as im going to tell you. after painting my car and several others ive got my way of doing it pretty much down.
DONT FORGET SAFTY AND BEATHING EQUIPTMENT PAINT TOXENS ARE EXTREMLY POTENT AND DEADLY

1.take spoiler to auto E and get paint matched in base clear or arcrilic enamle
2. sand all the spoiler until shiny clear coat is gone with about a 400 grit sand paper dry stuff works best
3. if you sand with a block of flat parts and with your palm on the rest you'll start to notice the high spots in the paint as you see the paint change colour or primer start to show through. and don't sand in one are to long if possible as it will creat a dip in the paint and will more than likely be noticbe in sunlight
4. after you've done a good sand move to an 800 grit wet sand paper and sand with the direction of the car ie front to bad or side to side. this will make a difference in paint finish and looks. ur spoiler would be front to back. wet paper is meant for water so spray some water on there with your sanding and make sure to keep it wet and not moist and it will cause sandpaper to etch or lift the paint.
5. after the wetsand si done wash with lightly soaped water not wuite enough to be bubbly
6. go buy cleaning wipes or something to remove glue and oils from sureface, also you should be wearin rubber gloves now everytime you handle the paint surface.
7. rig a hanger on your garage or something so you can clearly see the full surface of object ebing painted. if you bought the cans and not an HVLP paint gun like i have read the instrustions on how to use it, normally hold about 12 inches away in upright
8. good idea to put polly plastic or something to protect the rest of you work area from being painted by fumes of your paint and makes ure you are that is being painted in is well ventiated
9. turn off all sorces of flame or ignition in are and start painting, rember to apply in light coats not heavy, 5 light coats will look better than 2 heavy coats
10. amke sure u read instructions about cure times. most of auto E's stuff is 20 min-60min between coats, follow that carfully and make sure you paint apriximatly around those times
11. if you purchased base clear after ur done painting the base time to spray clear again in thin coats. and do about 3 or 4 thin coats,
12. if your going for crazy clean and great shine after your clear is done curing take it down and bring out the 1200 and 1500 and 2000 grit wetsand paper. doing wetsanding again following car direction gently sand the clear with 2000 grit and if your surface looks really rough 1500 grit first. again making sure you have steady amount of water going over sanding surface. and being sure not to sand to close to edges as it will eat through clear in those areas faster.
13. after you've sanded well and have smoothed all the clear out reapeat your washing as you did again and hang the object again or prep it again for paint.
14. spray another 2 coats of clear again being very carful with drips and making sure clear is even and smooth with thin coats.
15. wait a week until curing is done and enjoy it.
16. again for amazing shine gently buff and polish the new paint surface again making sure not to spend t much time in one area. and you should end up with a paint finish nice than your factory car.

REMEBER WHEN IT LOOKS WET THATS A COAT ASLONG AS ITS EVENLY WET!!!

if anyone wants shit painted i do it on the side in my shop. i have my own guns and booth set up
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2594544
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Painting Spoiler Myself.   Painting Spoiler Myself. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Painting Spoiler Myself.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next